spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fuz59

@charter.com

[Help] Oil

I just bought a 2001 F150 XLT with the V8 4.6l in and has a 167, 000 miles on it. Dont know what oil was used in it. Does anyone have a rcommendation about what oil I should use.

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

I'd use 5W-20 Motorcraft.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
reply to Fuz59

I recommend full synth, Mobil 1.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Fuz59

2001 Ford F-150 Owner's Manuals
»owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentSe···el=F-150

Engine oil

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20
Super Premium Motor Oil

5.7L (6.0 quarts)
(includes filter change)
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Fuz59

with that many miles I'd go synthetic blend and change it often. Instead of using milage i'd check it weekly and change when it looked dirty.

unless you wanna test the engine for blow by.

If you change often the type of oil doesnt get real important. Case in point, 2000 Chevy Silverado, 212k miles on motor, within 3 psi all cylinders on castrol synthetic blend and FRAM filters.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
reply to Fuz59

For the best protection, use Amsoil Signature Series (ALM) 5W-20 paired with an Amsoil 25K mile/1 year oil filter. I'd consider switching out other fluids to Amsoil over time as well.

Here are the compatible products and capacity amounts: »www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclel···PICKUP+W

And definitely sign up as a preferred customer so you can buy Amsoil at wholesale (typically 20-25% off retail prices). Let me know if you are interested, I am an Amsoil dealer and can set people up as preferred customers.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Fuz59

I would use Motorcraft synthetic Blend oil

Its cheap
OEM
and works well

I use it in my 03 Ranger with 83k miles
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Jackarino:

I would use Motorcraft synthetic Blend oil

Its cheap
OEM
and works well

I use it in my 03 Ranger with 83k miles

I look at it differently. Buying 6 quarts of Amsoil's ALM and a 25K filter would be retail $77.40 (plus tax and shipping), and would be MUCH less at preferred customer (wholesale) price. And it would require labor (your own or a shop) only once a year, assuming you stay under 25K miles (or 15K severe service) in that year.

To me, Amsoil's once-a-year oil change is less expensive (especially at wholesale), less work, and offers best of breed protection for an engine.

Just my $.02.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·Atlantic Nexus
reply to Fuz59

I have used Amsoil with great results. Was nice to change oil only once a year (2 filter changes though.) When I took my Mustang engine apart after 97k miles, it still had the hone marks on the cylinder walls and no wear on bearings.

The thing about synthetics is they will seep out the slightest leak and clean out any sludge. If the engine was not taken well care of before, it will start leaking expensive oil.

I'd try synthetic blend then on the next go full synthetic.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to Fuz59

"What oil"...?????

Motor oil.

Seriously, you may want to be a little more clear in what you are asking. Brand, type, weight, etc.?

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

Tucker, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Fuz59

Amsoil is all i use in the Motorcycle and my Tiburon....its good no doubt. Car gets extra miles to gallon heads are still squeaky clean and compression is mostly unchanged.In the bike the shifts are noiseless and silky, the motor purs and the valvetrain is much quieter!

But an engine with heavy blow-by and high milage probably needs a new filter and oil much before the 25k mile interval because of carbon and blow- by combustion gases which = lots of extra cash on a vehicle that might grenade tomorrow.

I'd go cheap and often

IMHO YMMV

--

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Fuz59

I'm a fan of pure synthetics in the proper applications. I am not in favor of converting to synthetics in high-mileage vehicles however. If it is used from new or fairly new, then the results tend to be better I have found.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to SwedishRider

I paid $14 with tax for 5 quarts of oil and a filter
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Jackarino:

I paid $14 with tax for 5 quarts of oil and a filter

True I'm sure, but if you have to change it out typically 3-4 times a year, it's $42-$56 per year, plus labor (your own or a shop's), which makes it more expensive than Amsoil at wholesale cost (depending on how you value your own time if you change it yourself).

And I'm willing to bet that at $14 total, it meets minimum specs and nothing more. Amsoil goes far above and beyond... for less money and labor.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

True

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

2 recommendations

reply to SwedishRider

Amsoil is not bad, but it is not as good as you want it to be.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Fuz59

I purchased a trencher not long ago with a 4 cylinder kubota diesel engine. Manufacture calls for a synthetic blend oil. It had about two thousand hours on it which is pretty much for a trencher. Changed the oil and went with full synthetic. Used it about two hours. Checked the oil next day. Dam did that oil wash the gunk down. Looked like it was never changed. Cant be good to do that to a engine. I was left with the feeling it went most of its life with regular oil. Got that shit out ASAP and went back to regular cheap shit. So far so good but its only been used around 6 hrs since.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to Cho Baka

said by Cho Baka:

Amsoil is not bad, but it is not as good as you want it to be.

Um... not sure what that means... But Amsoil signature series is rated and tested for 25K miles normal service/15K miles severe service, or 1 year, whichever comes first. And Amsoil EaO filters are rated for 25K miles or one year as well. Those filters are made of full synthetic media and are best of breed for filtration. If you want to go really crazy, Amsoil sells a bypass filtration system that can supplement an engine's filtration system and with oil analysis, can exceed 25K miles.

I don't know about it being "as good as you want it to be" (whatever that means?!?!)... but Amsoil makes extremely high quality products, and is as good as it says it is.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

Tucker, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Fuz59

An old drag racer I tip a few with will tell you that the best times his KZ900's ever posted were with Amsoil products everywhere he could get them, second best times were with Mobile 1, third best was fossil Penzoil and worst time ever posted were with Royal Purple. He said his clutch had lockup problems with the "purple schitt"(that's what he called it) but he could only get 4 passes out of a set of rings on the fossil oil.....

I'd love to see Amsoils recommendations on a high mileage motor with an unknown service history.

--

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by DeltaElite:

I'd love to see Amsoils recommendations on a high mileage motor with an unknown service history.

»www.amsoil.com/frequent.aspx

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to Fuz59

As a sidenote, I use Amsoil in darn near everything that needs lubrication, including a formulation with ZDDP specific to small engines.

Tractors, push mowers, snow blowers, and 4-stroke weed trimmers (among other applications) use Amsoil ASE (small engine formula with ZDDP): »www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m···ine-oil/

And I use Amsoil greases... just awesome stuff:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqvq5IHjHTg

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=69wbDiQrhb0

Fuz59

@centurytel.net
reply to Fuz59

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to SwedishRider

said by SwedishRider:

For the best protection, use Amsoil Signature Series (ALM) 5W-20 paired with an Amsoil 25K mile/1 year oil filter. I'd consider switching out other fluids to Amsoil over time as well.

Unless you have your oil analyzed for contaminates, wear, etc, using an extended interval oil is just gambling. Amsoil motor oil may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if you getting blow by, catching bearing wear too late, or antifreeze contamination for instance having the overpriced oil isn't going to do you much good.

On the other hand, if you have a engine that's in great shape, then getting a premium oil may save you some money/time.

I am an Amsoil dealer and can set people up as preferred customers.

Nevermind. ANY product other than Amsoil obviously will never be good enough.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

If someone is not comfortable with once-a-year oil changes, or finds the signature series and EaO filters "overpriced", Amsoil makes the XL series and the OE series:

»www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m···tor-oil/

»www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m···tor-oil/

XL is rated for 10,000 miles or 6 months, and OE is rated for AT LEAST whatever the OEM oil for any given vehicle is rated for or three months. I wouldn't use an EaO or Ea15K filter with either of those series as it won't be on the vehicle long enough to get any benefit out of it. WIX makes great filters for XL and OE applications.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Fuz59

Any quality 5w-20 (Motorcraft, Penzoil, Vavoline, Mobil 1, Castrol are examples) oil will work just fine - I prefer synthetic...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to SwedishRider

said by SwedishRider:

To me, Amsoil's once-a-year oil change is less expensive (especially at wholesale), less work, and offers best of breed protection for an engine.

I was intrigued by this and went to the Amsoil website. So what warranty is on this once a year oil change? What happens if, say something goes wrong with the engine during the manufacturers warranty? Most want proof of oil changes done at the OEM intervals and this would not suffice. Amsoil's warranty statement seems to dodge the issue.

Even on a good higher mileage engine I think I'd want to get fresh stuff in there well before 25k, especially if used in town or for shorter trips.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

reply to cdru

said by cdru:

It's always an Amsoil reseller that pushes Amsoil as being better.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

1 edit
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

said by SwedishRider:

I was intrigued by this and went to the Amsoil website. So what warranty is on this once a year oil change? What happens if, say something goes wrong with the engine during the manufacturers warranty? Most want proof of oil changes done at the OEM intervals and this would not suffice. Amsoil's warranty statement seems to dodge the issue.

Even on a good higher mileage engine I think I'd want to get fresh stuff in there well before 25k, especially if used in town or for shorter trips.

If order to deny a claim, a vehicle manufacturer needs to prove that the oil itself failed and caused the damage. Amsoil warrants their oil against damage, and you would need to send in a sample for testing to show that the engine oil failed.

As I said above, if one was uncomfortable with that, they could use the XL with 6 month intervals, or OE and follow manufacturer's intervals, and those would meet OEM service interval requirements. But Amsoil does warrant their Signature Series oils (all their oils actually) for the time/mileage specified. The warranty document spells this out, and it's included in the starter packet for a preferred customer.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to tcope

said by tcope:

said by cdru:

It's always an Amsoil reseller that pushes Amsoil as being better.

I'm not pushing anything on anybody. We are all free to choose the products we buy and use. I started as a preferred customer and liked their products, and once friends and coworkers saw what I was using and how it worked, I had many people who wanted a case of this or a case of that. I decided to upgrade to dealer status so I could set those folks up and not need to be the clearing house for the oil.

I am a dealer mostly for the wholesale pricing. I really don't make anything off the customers below me. I would need LOTS more to join to even come close to earning anything significant. If someone wanted to be a preferred customer, I can set them up.. and if they want to go grab 5 quarts of Mobil 1 off their local auto parts store shelf, that's fine too. I like Amsoil's products... and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable
reply to SwedishRider

If lubricated parts of an engine fail, and the customer didn't change the oil according to the vehicle manufacturer's maintenance schedule, then the customer is on the hook, not the vehicle manufacturer.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.