Search similar:

uniqs
airmax32
join:2013-04-16
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

airmax32

Clear wireless unlimited

Is clear the only one that offers unlimited internet connection?

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

some cell phone carriers offer "unlimited" but with catches like only for the handset (if you have a smart phone you may be able to jailbreak / root) . Others offer unlimited but with a CAP if you go over you will be throttled.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

1 recommendation

JimThePCGuy to airmax32

MVM

to airmax32
Sprint still claims to be unlimited even for LTE SmartPhones but does require you to be on the Sprint network. Roaming data does have limits.
airmax32
join:2013-04-16
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

airmax32

Not unlike in the Philippines they have unlimited data on their 4G plans for the internet but there is only one catch. It is so slow.
MTB
join:2007-06-29
Newport Beach, CA

1 recommendation

MTB to airmax32

to airmax32
Clear does reserve to right to cap if they feel you are abusive what ever that means.

Neither are unlimited due to throttling, shaping, packet dropping schemes and routing. Location seems to matter too.

Clear throttles the upload to a hard 1.0mb compared to Sprint @ 1.2Mb if and when working properly. Clear supports you up to 4MB DL then you are on your own. Who knows what Sprint does.

If you use sprint too much on 1 tower or other random and weird things occur you can end up with a total BW Up plus down around 2.5

Clear Jitter acceptable Sprint good luck.

NR
@clearwire-wmx.net

NR

Anon

HUH? ^^^ This makes no sense.
Expand your moderator at work
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to airmax32

to airmax32

Re: Clear wireless unlimited

No, depending on your market. Some markets, Cleveland being one of them does have a usage cap. It was a featured article on here a while back.

empire5
join:2002-07-31
Rosharon, TX

empire5 to airmax32

to airmax32
Asterisk unlimited. Definitely throttled in many parts.

BlueMagic
join:2008-03-30
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

No, depending on your market. Some markets, Cleveland being one of them does have a usage cap. It was a featured article on here a while back.

Years ago Clear throttle and capped their service. I can assure you, as someone that regularly uses 100 GB + every month that Clear does not cap their service nor does it throttle, period!

Clear owns a huge swath of spectrum and has zero need to cap and throttle. When they turn on tdd-lte they will effectively throw the gauntlet down on AT&T as well as Verizon. The most valuable wireless data markets are in high density areas such as Chicago, New York, San Fran, Miami et al. Which is precisely where Clear is located. People would have to be bat crazy to pay
AT&T and Verizon $10 per GB plus a hotspot fee when they could just reduce their cellular data plan to the minimum and sign up for Clear for data connectivity.

Clear is definitely in the catbird's seat and it will be obvious in the next few months when they begin to siphon data customers away from the cellular carriers. It is going to be a major price war the benefits of which will incur to the consumer.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

said by BlueMagic:

I can assure you, as someone that regularly uses 100 GB + every month that Clear does not cap their service nor does it throttle, period!

That's not correct.

They have a monitoring / fairness system in place that takes action to throttle the heaviest users once a channel starts to become saturated with traffic.

You may or may not be throttled based on a number of factors including the amount of backhaul capacity to the tower you are attaching to, the number of channels end-devices are balanced across, and the utilization of all of the other devices on your channel.

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic

said by SpaethCo:

said by BlueMagic:

I can assure you, as someone that regularly uses 100 GB + every month that Clear does not cap their service nor does it throttle, period!

That's not correct.

They have a monitoring / fairness system in place that takes action to throttle the heaviest users once a channel starts to become saturated with traffic.

You may or may not be throttled based on a number of factors including the amount of backhaul capacity to the tower you are attaching to, the number of channels end-devices are balanced across, and the utilization of all of the other devices on your channel.

zzzzzzz. You are quite frankly wrong, wrong, wrong. This is not 2010, it is 2013 and Clearwire does not throttle just as Verizon does not trottle 4G data and before you come back with another "opinion" yes I and everyone else know that WiMAX and Verzion's version of lte are completely different, it does not matter since that is not relevant to the discussion, since the point is the simple fact that neither provider throttles! One of my pet peeves are people who shoot off their opinions as if they actually know whereof they speak.

Do you have Clear wireless service? Of course you don't, however you have an "opinion", therefore in your own mind you actually feel qualified to state your opinion as if were fact. Simply amazing!

I live in Chicago and travel frequently to San Fran, Las Vegas, New York as well as Miami and Clear does not cap my service nor does it throttle same. I hate to burst your bubble but the vast majority of participants on Broadbandreports.com are extremely sophisticated individuals. If you post information (such as you did) which is plainly false, you can expect to be shot down hard. Truth like cream, always rises to the top.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

said by BlueMagic:

zzzzzzz. You are quite frankly wrong, wrong, wrong.

You should tell that to the Ericsson engineering folks who described their entire management system at Interop New York last October.
said by BlueMagic:

Do you have Clear wireless service?

I do indeed. I have the legacy "Pick 2" plan with a Gemtek home modem and the Sierra wireless 4G+ (3G/4G) mobile hotspot. Like you, I've never experienced throttling on my home connection, but that's a factor of the circumstances I outlined above.

Intervention by the network management system is the exception, not the rule. That said, if you happen to land on an overcommited channel on a tower with limited capacity, your experience will be rather poor. There is no shortage of people who have had that experience who have loudly voiced their complaints in various forums.

Your experience with Clear (or any wireless provider, really) can vary widely from tower to tower.

empire5
Rosharon, TX

empire5 to BlueMagic

to BlueMagic
said by BlueMagic:

said by TBBroadband:

Years ago Clear throttle and capped their service. I can assure you, as someone that regularly uses 100 GB + every month that Clear does not cap their service nor does it throttle, period!

Clear owns a huge swath of spectrum and has zero need to cap and throttle.

Ummmm, you know, data doesn't just stop at the bottom of the tower, infact how much spectrum one has available has little to do with data caps and throttling.

Your experience also doesn't represent every backhaul, tower, local network, local service agreement, or usage habits either.

I'd continue, but i'm quite certain there's more stubbornness existing here than knowledge.
empire5

empire5 to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo
Or Rob Lenderman.

»stopthecap.com/2010/10/0 ··· service/
empire5

empire5 to airmax32

to airmax32
Anyone notice, that the few on here that do get excellent service, for some reason INSIST that everyone else is misguided?

I've seen it several times now. Interesting.

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic

said by empire5:

Anyone notice, that the few on here that do get excellent service, for some reason INSIST that everyone else is misguided?

Why are you posting a 3 year old article from Stop The Cap? Clear previously throttled, that is an undisputed fact however they no longer throttle and that is a fact. Obviously, you have zero understanding as to the bandwidth that Clear owns and why after building out the system it no longer needs to throttle. Clear is not for everyone, it is for individuals like myself that live in prime urban areas with a high density if towers. I rarely venture into "fly over land" as I simply can not stand rural America, therefore for me, Clear is a great service.

empire5
Rosharon, TX

1 recommendation

empire5

said by BlueMagic:

said by empire5:

Why are you posting a 3 year old article from Stop The Cap? Clear previously throttled, that is an undisputed fact however they no longer throttle and that is a fact. Obviously, you have zero understanding as to the bandwidth that Clear owns and why after building out the system it no longer needs to throttle. Clear is not for everyone, it is for individuals like myself that live in prime urban areas with a high density if towers. I rarely venture into "fly over land" as I simply can not stand rural America, therefore for me, Clear is a great service.

You're a camera away from a tv ad dude.

Lets look at the current AUP then:

Excessive Utilization of Network Resources.

Wireless networks have capacity limits, and all customers can suffer from degraded or denied service when one user (or a small group of users) consumes a disproportionate amount of a wireless network’s resources. Clearwire, therefore, will monitor both overall network performance and individual resource consumption to determine if any user is consuming a disproportionate amount of available resources and creating the potential to disrupt or degrade the Clearwire network or network usage by others. This process of monitoring both overall network performance and individual resource consumption is consistent with the description of the nature of the Service previously described in this AUP. Clearwire reserves the right to engage in reasonable network management to protect the overall network, including analyzing traffic patterns and preventing the distribution of viruses or other malicious code. During periods of congestion, Clearwire uses various network management techniques, such as reducing the data rate of individual bandwidth intensive users whose use is negatively impacting other users. This temporarily limits the amount of bandwidth available to the bandwidth intensive users until the congestion has diminished, at which point Clearwire will endeavor to lift any limits it may have imposed on bandwidth intensive users during the period of congestion.Clearwire may also consider historical usage patterns when temporarily reducing the data rate of bandwidth intensive users during periods of congestion. When feasible, upon observation of an excessive use pattern, Clearwire will attempt to contact you by telephone (at the telephone number you gave to us) or otherwise alert you to your excessive use of bandwidth and to help you determine the cause. Clearwire representatives also are available to explain this AUP and to help you avoid excessive use incidents. If you are unavailable or do not respond to Clearwire’s attempt to contact you regarding excessive use, or if excessive use is ongoing or recurring and repeatedly having negative effects on other subscribers of the Service, then Clearwire reserves the right to immediately restrict, suspend or terminate your Service without further notice in order to protect the network and minimize congestion caused by the excessive use. While the determination of what constitutes excessive use depends on the specific state of the network at any given time, excessive use is determined by resource consumption relative to that of a typical individual user of the Service and not by the use of any particular application.

»www.clear.com/legal/aup

I guess they just like losing business and decided to throw that in and not update it.

Like I said, its a dead end topic. I, nor anyone else who has the service ever needed to read the AUP. Its pretty obvious.

P.S. 2/5 stars (50 reviews) for Chicago
»www.yelp.com/biz/clear-h ··· -chicago

Doesn't look like its doing too well over there either.

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

1 edit

BlueMagic

said by empire5:

said by BlueMagic:

said by empire5:

Wireless networks have capacity limits, and all customers can suffer from degraded or denied service when one user (or a small group of users) consumes a disproportionate amount of a wireless network’s resources. Clearwire, therefore, will monitor both overall network performance and individual resource consumption to determine if any user is consuming a disproportionate amount of available resources and creating the potential to disrupt or degrade the Clearwire network or network usage by others. This process of monitoring both overall network performance and individual resource consumption is consistent with the description of the nature of the Service previously described in this AUP. Clearwire reserves the right to engage in reasonable network management to protect the overall network, including analyzing traffic patterns and preventing the distribution of viruses or other malicious code. During periods of congestion, Clearwire uses various network management techniques, such as reducing the data rate of individual bandwidth intensive users whose use is negatively impacting other users. This temporarily limits the amount of bandwidth available to the bandwidth intensive users until the congestion has diminished, at which point Clearwire will endeavor to lift any limits it may have imposed on bandwidth intensive users during the period of congestion.Clearwire may also consider historical usage patterns when temporarily reducing the data rate of bandwidth intensive users during periods of congestion. When feasible, upon observation of an excessive use pattern, Clearwire will attempt to contact you by telephone (at the telephone number you gave to us) or otherwise alert you to your excessive use of bandwidth and to help you determine the cause. Clearwire representatives also are available to explain this AUP and to help you avoid excessive use incidents. If you are unavailable or do not respond to Clearwire’s attempt to contact you regarding excessive use, or if excessive use is ongoing or recurring and repeatedly having negative effects on other subscribers of the Service, then Clearwire reserves the right to immediately restrict, suspend or terminate your Service without further notice in order to protect the network and minimize congestion caused by the excessive use. While the determination of what constitutes excessive use depends on the specific state of the network at any given time, excessive use is determined by resource consumption relative to that of a typical individual user of the Service and not by the use of any particular application.

»www.clear.com/legal/aup

I guess they just like losing business and decided to throw that in and not update it.

Like I said, its a dead end topic. I, nor anyone else who has the service ever needed to read the AUP. Its pretty obvious.

said by empire5:

said by BlueMagic:

said by empire5:

»www.clear.com/legal/aup

Yes of course Clearwire has exculpatory language in their terms of service just as AT&T and Verizon. That does not mean that they throttle and in point of fact with Clearwire's spectrum vis a vie other 4G providers they do not need to throttle which is why they do not throttle, comprede? A friend of mine received an additional 2 years of unlimited data when she upgraded via Verizon to a new iPhone 5 last year. Why? Who knows, however she is not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. She is paying the extra $30 per month access fee and is enjoying unlimited 4G lte for her all of her Internet connectivity. Guess what, Verizon has the similar exculpatory language in their terms of service and they, like, Clearwire, do not throttle.

Once Clearwire rolls out tdd-lte it will be obvious to the most casual of uninformed observer why their spectrum is extremely valuable as the speed will easily trounce what is currently available from AT&T and Verizon. With reference to Yelp, intelligence is rare, the bell curve is very real and the average individual is frankly lacking in native capacity to make an informed decision therefore they spew nonsense on Yelp and prove to the world at large that they were born with diminished capacity.

empire5
Rosharon, TX

1 edit

empire5

Ah I see, so the thousands of negative reviews on google, yelp, and dslreports are just uninformed consumers.

and apparently because of your personal experience, an entire nation's network is defined, along with verizon's network.

This is a dead end subject, that and the amount of conviction and level of advocacy is a little creepy at this point.

Then again, maybe you're on to something, maybe they don't throttle. Perhaps the god awful speeds during business hours are just a result of pure oversold tower congestion.

Essentially the end result is the same to a consumer
Expand your moderator at work

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic

Re: Clear wireless unlimited

Furthermore, I suggest that you peruse the Chicago speed tests in the Clearwire forum. Facts are facts. Clearwire is unlimited, the speed is excellent plus they do not throttle.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

said by BlueMagic:

Furthermore, I suggest that you peruse the Chicago speed tests in the Clearwire forum. Facts are facts. Clearwire is unlimited, the speed is excellent plus they do not throttle.

They are individual data points.

If you land on one of those towers, awesome. Congratulations, lottery winner.

That is not the experience across all towers in Clear's footprint.

Also, when people ask "is Clear unlimited?" -- they're usually asking in relation to ISPs that cap at 250GB/mo+. If you think you're going to use in excess of 250GB on Clear, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's obvious you enjoy the service where you use it. That's awesome for you, but you don't have to shill for the company so damn hard.

empire5
Rosharon, TX

empire5

You rarely, if ever, witness a fellow customer so stubbornly detest and show so much issue over a users negative experience thousands of miles away. Normally fellow customers offer a "hm, that sucks, well it works fine for me" and variations are understood.

Here however, i've now seen TWO people on this forum with this abnormal, almost cultish advocacy for CLEAR.

Interesting.
empire5

empire5 to airmax32

to airmax32
In other related news, here's Netflix.com's speed index up to April 2013:

»ispspeedindex.netflix.co ··· sa/graph

and yes thats Clear, nearly flat lined at the bottom

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

1 edit

BlueMagic

said by empire5:

In other related news, here's Netflix.com's speed index up to April 2013:

»ispspeedindex.netflix.co ··· sa/graph

and yes thats Clear, nearly flat lined at the bottom

How silly, my download speed averages 9 Mbps which is perfectly fine for Netflix.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to empire5

to empire5

(topic move) Clear wireless unlimited

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been removed permanently.