how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

What do you think "addicts" people to WoW?

I never really played any of the other MMOs, other than WoW. I've seen quite a few come and go, either completely or Free to Play, since I started playing WoW. What is it about WoW that makes it special?

I think it is the something for everyone take that Blizzard seem to have is the big thing.

You can PvP or PvE, don't like those you can battle your pets.

Don't like the way the game looks, there's an addon for that.

The WoW sense of humor and inclusion of pop culture also seems to be a big thing for me. My current favorite is the Riko in the third Horde scout chain, "Riko knows what happen next, pick me"
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
The biggest thing that keeps me coming back is the time I have invested on all my toons. It is really hard to give that away.

Next I would say the people, nothing better to log in and see your friends online.
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Kilroy
Accomplishment. No matter how you approach the game, there is a mechanism for a sense of accomplishment. Knowing that I can work towards a goal and someday achieve it is awesome.

Leadership/Teamwork. If this was a single-player game... I wouldn't have played for more than a few months. Leading a team... and now a Guild... opens up new levels of accomplishment, and I love it. I can honestly say that I am just as excited when a raid/guild member gets new loot as I am when I get new loot.

Problem Solving. What I love the most about normal raiding (that LFR can't really provide) is the challenge of watching the flow of the mechanics and how our raid members deal/react to them... diagnosing the shortfalls/problems... and formulating a plan for our composition and player skill.

Edit: I'm not saying I excel at leadership/teamwork/problem solving... just that I enjoy it.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Axa

@mda.mil
Exactly what Immer said. WoW motivates players the same way successful businesses motivate their employees. Clearly stated, achievable goals with rewards commensurate to the challenge.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
Probably toon improvement. This and other RPG/MMOs that I play, it's getting that bit more powerful and having more ability. Even being able to have a new mount is a toon improvement.

After you kill the same raid boss 2 or 3 times, it's no longer about seeing new content, but about farming purple pixels...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Kilroy
The people keep me coming back, its nice to socialize with like minded people.

thus why I'd drop it if the trade is a cute like minded and intelligent girl to socialize with.
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create- ··· imcity-4

Wishflthinkn

join:2011-01-27
Bruceton Mills, WV
reply to Kilroy
As crazy as it sounds. like Dark, for me it is the people. I must have 150 pc and console games yet every day that I get to play it is the PC I fire up and WoW that gets played. The first thing I do is check guild and friends list. People, that is the difference. Might be the main frustrating aspect at times but is also the most fulfilling.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to Kilroy
The Goldshire Moonguard experience.

Carpie

united state
reply to Kilroy
It's always having something to strive for. I want to get to that level, I want to get this set of achieves, I want to experience all the races, I want this set of gear, I want these mounts, I want these pets, etc. WoW offers an unbridled amount of accomplishments in addition to the normal gameplay.

Undoubtedly people make the difference also. Admittedly I played the first year and a half completely solo, preferring it that way, but if not for the people I think I would have burned out at some point. Maybe.

And on a side note, I say this in half seriousness around Darklogix's quest for poontag (errr, I mean like minded intelligence), there should be a WoW dating system. There are millions of people that play, that spend trillions of hours playing because they love the game. It's such a big part of our lives, that it would probably bring like minded people together well. Just like eharmony does the trait matching or whatever, there are a certain type of peeps that are drawn to gaming, and even more specific, fantasy RPG. And there are people that don't want anything to do with it and don't understand it. If you start by finding someone that has the same love as you, you're probably a significant step closer to a successful relationship.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Carpie:

And on a side note, I say this in half seriousness around Darklogix's quest for poontag (errr, I mean like minded intelligence), there should be a WoW dating system. There are millions of people that play, that spend trillions of hours playing because they love the game. It's such a big part of our lives, that it would probably bring like minded people together well. Just like eharmony does the trait matching or whatever, there are a certain type of peeps that are drawn to gaming, and even more specific, fantasy RPG. And there are people that don't want anything to do with it and don't understand it. If you start by finding someone that has the same love as you, you're probably a significant step closer to a successful relationship.

Match.com and Blizzcon.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Carpie

united state
www.wowmatch.com

I'm telling you, it's a money maker. If you have the skills to develop the site, you'll be thanking me as you roll in the millions. (Just don't forget the person that gave the idea)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

said by Carpie:

www.wowmatch.com

I'm telling you, it's a money maker. If you have the skills to develop the site, you'll be thanking me as you roll in the millions. (Just don't forget the person that gave the idea)

OMW to register www.Blizz-Match.net
--

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

Accomplishment. No matter how you approach the game, there is a mechanism for a sense of accomplishment.

Mainly this. It is gratifying to run through a zone, where you have a moderately difficult time defeating the mobs, then come back a month later and ROFLstomp the place. It feels good to know that in my last run through LFR, my DPS was about double what it was the first time I set foot into MSV. I enjoy the feeling of improving my toon's gear, incremental as it may be. I enjoy getting achievements ticked off the list, every so often. I enjoy solo'ing old content... Illidan Stormrage is a pushover nowadays. I particularly enjoyed the encounter in Tol Barad last week, when I solo defended Ironclad Garrison versus a priest/rogue combo... and had them both dead in about 30 seconds. The little things that let you know that, YES, your toon is getting to be quite the badass. That feeling is the main thing that keeps me coming back.
My other reason is "people-related" I suppose. I had another internet game I used to spend way too much time on; my wife had just gotten into WoW, and encouraged me to try it out. I resisted at first, but her point (and a good point at that), was that if I was going to waste time online, shouldn't I do it WITH HER? Fast-forward about 3 years... I'm still playing about as much, if not more, than ever. My wife barely plays anymore, maybe once every week or two. The thing is - whenever she does get in the mood to play, I have one hell of a fun time playing with her. On a related note, the guild I'm in is 95% friends/family (brother-in-law is the GM), and it's basically dead. A few people are levelling alts. There are only about 5 or 6 L90's in the guild. Some people are on temporary hiatus from the game due to finances, but say they'll be back (we'll see); some people left at the end of Cata, said they'd be back to try Mists, but haven't yet; et cetera. I'm still holding out hope that things pick back up. If they do, I'll be the dwarf sporting the shiny purple-pixellated armor, pew-pewing away in every run that helps get people their new shiny gear.

Carpie

united state
reply to DarkLogix
I found your girl Dark. twitch.tv/aphrolove

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

Accomplishment. No matter how you approach the game, there is a mechanism for a sense of accomplishment. Knowing that I can work towards a goal and someday achieve it is awesome.

This is what hooked me for years. And my feeling about how this is now lacking in the game is the reason I've lost interest. Things are just too easy anymore and more akin to faceroll than true accomplishment, at least for me.

That said, so long as they don't shut the whole thing down first I'm sure I haven't given up on it for good yet. But it's been three months now, and I've only had an account activated for two months of the past seven.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Carpie
said by Carpie:

a few things
1. pick a best video for me to watch.
2. ok she looks hot and plays wow it seems but is she anywhere near houston?
3. Now if she's intelligent, sweet, and hot/cute then find a way to get me a date with her.

4. if you get #3 happening then you might see less of me on wow, or see me playing with her instead.
--

Carpie

united state
1. The only one I watched (or cared to) was the one with her in the tank top and yoga pants. Jobbie said she had a messy room but I hadn't noticed. There were only one or two focal points for me.

2. Wait. What? She plays WoW? (see point #1). No idea on the location.

3. You'll need to make a twitch.tv account and start messaging her. She responds to all of them from what I've seen. Give her some tips on gameplay. Don't talk about how good looking she is (hears that all the time). Sleight her a little bit here and there (doesn't hear that nearly as much). And see where it takes you.

4. I was all about helping you up until this point: "see me playing with her instead". I don't want to see any such thing. There is a fine line buddy and you just crossed it. Let's keep it PG-13 on that channel.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by Carpie:

1. The only one I watched (or cared to) was the one with her in the tank top and yoga pants. Jobbie said she had a messy room but I hadn't noticed. There were only one or two focal points for me.

2. Wait. What? She plays WoW? (see point #1). No idea on the location.

3. You'll need to make a twitch.tv account and start messaging her. She responds to all of them from what I've seen. Give her some tips on gameplay. Don't talk about how good looking she is (hears that all the time). Sleight her a little bit here and there (doesn't hear that nearly as much). And see where it takes you.

4. I was all about helping you up until this point: "see me playing with her instead". I don't want to see any such thing. There is a fine line buddy and you just crossed it. Let's keep it PG-13 on that channel.

What you would get mad if I managed to join her raiding team?
--

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by Carpie:

3. Now if she's intelligent, sweet, and hot/cute then find a way to get me a date with her.

you got some good advice in the above posts; but this one is mostly on you... If I'm picking her up for you, then it's my date not yours : P
--
Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die; Serve right and justice one last time; Seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain; Cut well old friend, and then farewell.

Carpie

united state
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

As long as it is a pantie raid, count me in.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Venom1
said by Venom1:

said by DarkLogix:

said by Carpie:

you got some good advice in the above posts; but this one is mostly on you... If I'm picking her up for you, then it's my date not yours : P

Hay you're married so she's off limits to you.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Carpie
said by Carpie:

said by DarkLogix:

As long as it is a pantie raid, count me in.

Sorry sounds like a solo or duo scenario, don't think there's space.
--

Carpie

united state
said by DarkLogix:

Never know, she might be more partial to 5 man instances.

(Lord let's hope not 25/40 man raids though)

Venom1

Augusta, GA
reply to Kilroy
googled 40 man raid boss and this came up as the 8th image result... tell me you wouldn't stay in that raid... liar.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by Venom1:

googled 40 man raid boss and this came up as the 8th image result... tell me you wouldn't stay in that raid... liar.

I'd solo that raid.
its a lvl18 raid boss right?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Carpie
said by Carpie:

said by DarkLogix:

Never know, she might be more partial to 5 man instances.

(Lord let's hope not 25/40 man raids though)

In that type of raid I'd have to be the only guy there or its no buano.
--

Carpie

united state
reply to Venom1
Pretty sure my queue just popped.

Venom1

Augusta, GA
i was pleasantly surprised to see that so high on the search result list; just had to share it.