Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Soda machine won't take debit cards

I had both me and my mother's (with her permission of course) debit cards (both issued by Berkshire Bank and they have the MasterCard logo on them) and I went to buy a soda out of a vending machine at a local hospital and I swiped the cards in the ePort reader on the machines and it would not take them despite both accounts having sufficient funds in them. I ended up swiping a Sears MasterCard (issued by Citi) credit card (that I avoid using unless I'm renting a car) and it worked.

My question is why would a card decline even if there is funds available and the machine says it accepts MasterCard. I'm buying a $1.50 soda, not renting a luxury car. I've also had this happen with the ePort readers on the vending machines at Holyoke Mall. Is this an ePort issue or an issue with my bank.

I remember a can of soda being 55 cents when I was a kid.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

It's likely just the bank/card processor flagging the transaction as possibly being fraudulent.

I ran into this at one point while traveling. It can be distance related (if the machine was moved from a location further away and never updated it could be showing up as a transaction attempt from somewhere further away. A call to the bank can clear it up in those cases usually.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I remember a bottle of soda costing 5 cents. Bubble gum 3 for a penny and a candy bar 5 cents ,,,,,,

Dad remember when a White Castle was a nickel

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

said by kherr:

said by IowaCowboy:

I remember a bottle of soda costing 5 cents. Bubble gum 3 for a penny and a candy bar 5 cents ,,,,,,

My Dad used to tell me when he was a kid he'd go to the movies with a quarter. Five cents to get in and see a double feature. Five cents for popcorn and five cents for an ice cream cone. He'd get one for each movie.

When I was a kid (in the 60s), there was nothing in the candy store that cost more than a quarter. Most stuff was a dime.
--
“I had to adjust my halo as I was machine-gunning hogs.” - Ted Nugent

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to IowaCowboy

It's probably something with the account. What's the card number and expiration date?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by Carpie:

It's probably something with the account. What's the card number and expiration date?

I ain't going to give the card number but I will say that the cards are NOT expired.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to IowaCowboy

Mastercard Debit is not allowed at our vending machines, something to do with the processing and fees. We can use Mastercard credit or Visa debit/credit AMEX or Discover.

Carpie

united state
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

said by Carpie:

I ain't going to give the card number but I will say that the cards are NOT expired.

Lol. Good man.

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
reply to hitachi369

said by hitachi369:

something to do with the processing and fees.

This.

Small-Ticket Retailers Squeezed By High Transaction Fees

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to kherr

said by kherr:

said by IowaCowboy:

I remember when gas was 19¢ a gallon. I used to cut lawns for a $1.00 and carried a 1 gallon gas can. I'd get a gallon of gas & a soda for a quarter.

Bogden
Premium
join:2000-07-11
Richmond, VA
reply to IowaCowboy

I remember when doobage was $20 USD a lid.

TheGeeze
Doctor Mud
Premium
join:2002-07-17
Magnolia, TX
reply to kherr

kherr See Profile

We must be about the same age
--
'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' Arthur C. Clarke

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Credit Card to buy a soda in a soda machine? LOL

We don't even have soda machines were I live. I here the have them in Manila though. Cash is king here, leave to Master Card at home.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

ohh

join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA
reply to IowaCowboy

Here in Cali it is cash or coins. Credit or debit wut?

Also, say thanks to your friendly government and friendly big business for all your money being devalued.

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

1 edit
reply to chrisretusn

said by chrisretusn:

Credit Card to buy a soda in a soda machine? LOL

When you think about it, a vending machine accepting credit cards is a huge advantage for the consumer if the vending machine does not dispense the product as promised.

Alas, I cannot do a chargeback with cash.

Of course, this raises the question: do the vending machine companies jack up the prices across the board to help compensate for the interchange fees incurred by purchasers who use credit cards? Or do they believe that having their vending machines accept credit cards will make for higher sales volumes and, therefore, choose to simply eat the interchange fees as part of the cost of doing business?

ETA: Ah, never mind:

Other retailers that deal mostly in small-dollar amounts have also been impacted. DVD-rental company Redbox announced last year it was raising rental prices from $1 to $1.20, citing "the recent increase in debit card interchange fees as a result of the Durbin Amendment."

I would be very surprised if the vending machine folks did not take the same route.

--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to IowaCowboy

Because it is a debit card, along with the rules of use have changed, thanks to Senator Durbin of Illinois.

I cannot use either my wife's or my debit card at the local car wash, but can use the credit card.

There really are more thing to worry a out in life, than if a vending machine will not take a debit card for a transaction.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

I was able to use the ePorts when I was with TD Bank as they had a Visa logo on their debit cards. My current bank (Berkshire Bank) uses MasterCard on their cards. TD Bank got to expensive with fees so I went with a local bank that I've done business with before.

Carpie

united state
reply to Bogden

said by Bogden:

Ah yes, a marijuana reference. Welcome to the Age that all potheads thinks they should be classified as role models.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

You forgot the security code.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

Carpie

united state

1 recommendation

Sssshhhh! You're going to tip him off to the plan. You have to do these things in babysteps. Just let the string of the noose out a little at a time. Slowly... slowly...

coma9

join:2013-02-05
United State
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

Ah yes, a marijuana reference. Welcome to the Age that all potheads thinks they should be classified as role models.

They're not trying to be rolemodels, they're trying to be thought of as better than drinkers. I'd rather my kids smoke pot than drink alcohol 100%. That's with only one or the other, obviously I'd rather neither.

Mittvok
Premium
join:2008-12-18
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

said by Bogden:

I don't think they view themselves as "role models" at all. Also, that's cheap weed.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to newview

said by newview:

said by kherr:

said by IowaCowboy:

I remember when gas was 19¢ a gallon. I used to cut lawns for a $1.00 and carried a 1 gallon gas can. I'd get a gallon of gas & a soda for a quarter.

I remember when gas was .89 for a gallon that was in 2000

cognizantt

join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC
reply to kherr

Anyone remember mojos when they were 3 for a penny ?
As a real lil kid, 10c a week pocket money bought a good bag of them.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
reply to Carpie

I LOL'ed too when I saw you ask that...;)

- FM

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Carpie

said by Carpie:

said by Bogden:

That is quit a leap...sheesh

Strange Data

join:2012-08-25
reply to Mr Neutron

said by Mr Neutron See Profile
I would be very surprised if the vending machine folks did not take the same route.

Vending machines at my work accept credit/debit cards, and on the machines right by the card reader there is a notice that the price posted is the CASH price, and there is a $0.14 per $1 charge to use plastic

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to IowaCowboy

The first time I ever saw or ultimately used a vending machine with a credit card reader was during a recent trip to Las Vegas. Luckily I saw the machine in the hall when I was trying to find my room, because at 4AM after much debauchery/vomiting I really needed one of those three or five dollar bottles of Aquafina. All of my singles had been thrown by that point, of course, so thank god for that card reader.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by Oedipus:

The first time I ever saw or ultimately used a vending machine with a credit card reader was during a recent trip to Las Vegas. Luckily I saw the machine in the hall when I was trying to find my room, because at 4AM after much debauchery/vomiting I really needed one of those three or five dollar bottles of Aquafina. All of my singles had been thrown by that point, of course, so thank god for that card reader.

And considering that Vegas hotel, I'm sure you paid 3x what it should cost. I worked at Six Flags during the 2005 season and they got $3 for a bottle of soda in their vending machines when the market rate was$1.25
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

said by IowaCowboy:

And considering that Vegas hotel, I'm sure you paid 3x what it should cost. [emphasis mine] I worked at Six Flags during the 2005 season and they got $3 for a bottle of soda in their vending machines when the market rate was$1.25

Ah, but what an item "should" cost is relative.

Yes, compared to buying the same bottle of water at a grocery for $1.25, a bottle of water priced $3-$5 seems high. The thing is, the hotel is selling you the convenience of not having to leave the hotel along with the bottle of water.

As you noted, it's the same deal at amusement parks: the food costs so much because all their competition is outside the park.
--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"