uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

No illusions question

I am not under any illusions that Magic Jack is going to work as well as other services. It is not cheaper than other phone services, it is an "order of magnitude" cheaper.

My question is it useless as a back up system. If you primarily use your cell phones, but you want something to use if your forgot your phone at the office or to call someplace where you expect to be put on hold for 30 minutes. Is it reliable enough for limited non-emergency use?

rickbarnett

join:2005-09-24
Alexandria, VA

Seems the major beef with MJ/YMAX relates to calls to numbers in places 'off the beaten path'.
If you are not located in, or intend to make calls to, rural America's backwoods, you should be in good shape.

Another alternative is to get a GV Jack which is an almost free hardware device to avail yourself of google voice calling.

Once you get one you will make your cell phone the backup. MJ and GV Jack almost always give better call quality than any cell phone carrier.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Pacomartin

Magic Jack is not bad. The audio is not quite as good as what you get with most other VOIP, but it is easy to set up and use. It is still quite understandable and usually fine enough.

With expectations as low as yours, I expect you will be rather pleased.

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to rickbarnett

said by rickbarnett:

Another alternative is to get a GV Jack which is an almost free hardware device to avail yourself of google voice calling.

Thanks for this advice. I am going to try this option.

dtgoodtonid

join:2005-01-16
Lexington, KY
reply to StillLearn

I disagree. Usually once a week I make a call to a relative in Florida who also has a v0ip service, not sure which, and the call quality is flawless.

You do not need low expectations to be satisfied with Magic Jack.

I use mine quite often, the biggest adjustment was 10 digit dialing for local calls. Also wish I could have a local Lexington number without porting. Magic Jack is virtually plug n play.

Great product.