Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23

[TWC] I managed to get a Cisco 3010 D3 modem provisioned

My sbg6580 is starting to flake out so I decided to buy a modem I found this modem on Ebay for $34 shipped to my house. I had one of my old friends at Time Warner activate it and it worked. It did take a while for it to start working. I had to do a factory reset to finally get the internet to work on it and it works wonderfully.

The firmware page is very basic, but you don't need much for a stand alone modem.

Cheshire

@verizon.net
I wonder if I can get that same modem activated in TWC NYC . I have that modem leftover from when I had Cox in Connecticut.

danielholt

join:2013-04-22
Wake Forest, NC
reply to TWCdude
I would love to have a cisco modem here in raleigh.

spdickey

join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
kudos:1
reply to TWCdude
I got TWC to activate my Cisco 3010 after a couple of phone calls. Been working fine for several months now.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to TWCdude
Your signal is a bit hot, may not be healthy for that modem in the long run.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
said by kilrathi:

You have knowledge of his plant?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY

1 edit
reply to TWCdude
I have knowledge of his stats based on the picture. 8dB is quite hot for a modem on multichannel downstream, how do I know? Well its common knowledge and a business twc installer that was here was saying that I risk losing my modem fast if I leave without splitters the way I have now and about 6dB. Considering his snr is also 40 along with high power most likely he is close to the tap without many splitters.

May not matter for years but signs point he may want to look into that and try to add one of those out/-4db splitters etc...

Of course I am not authority on this or anything but its something I would try to reduce a bit if it was a modem I bought.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
While of course there are standards this can vary from plant to plant. 8 db is well within these standards, the optimum signal is dependent on the local area.

Hob

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to TWCdude
Yes 8db is within standard but considering how good the upstream power and down snr are it would be wise to get that around 4-5db with a simple splitter. Again I mostly go by what tw business class installer told me regarding power levels and modems running hot.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by kilrathi:

Yes 8db is within standard but considering how good the upstream power and down snr are it would be wise to get that around 4-5db with a simple splitter. Again I mostly go by what tw business class installer told me regarding power levels and modems running hot.

well you have to factor in that TWC is running the San Antonio Texas system past the design limit of 750MHz as they are using all the way to 783MHz so his levels might not be too bad as the system could have -8dB in spec due to having to compensate for the extra tilt at the top to account for the extra 36MHz being used at the top for digital services. I have seen over at silicondust that TWC in Cary NC uses 789MHz on a 750MHz system so I am betting they are really overdriving that system!

manshow

join:2013-01-23
Washington, DC
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

While of course there are standards this can vary from plant to plant. 8 db is well within these standards, the optimum signal is dependent on the local area.

Hob

hob ur usually right but 0db downstream and 40s upstream is ideal for all systems time warner or not.

danielholt

Wake Forest, NC
reply to TWCdude
I ordered a refurb'd cisco 3010 D3 modem, monday on ebay...

Received it today, saw that it had a cox firmware on it (yes I have TWC RR)...

After chatting and calling into TWC and about an hour's worth of haggling, I got mine activated, the cox firmware remained after provisioning, but I am consistently getting 51mbps down/5.20mbps up

The only thing that is bothering me is the username/password into the modem, would love to get in and tinker.

About

Model: Cisco DPC3010
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0
MAC Address:: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
Current Software Revision: dpc3010-v302r12901-100630as-COX
Firmware Name: dpc3010-v302r12901-100630as-COX.bin
Firmware Build Time: Jun 30 2010 17:18:16
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Downstream Channels

Power Level Signal to Noise Ratio
Channel 1: -8.2 dBmv 39.0 dB
Channel 2: -8.2 dBmv 38.9 dB
Channel 3: -8.2 dBmv 37.2 dB
Channel 4: -8.1 dBmv 38.8 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level
Channel 1: 29.9 dBmv
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmv
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmv
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmv

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by kilrathi:

Hob

You are asking him if he knows the plant? You know exactly the answer. Does that makes you smarter? No, instead of criticizing kilrathi of his comments, why don't you just help your subscriber?
Go ahead tell us about the plants, maybe we'll have an idea of how TWC operates.

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
said by bluepoint:

said by hobgoblin:

said by kilrathi:

Hob

You are asking him if he knows the plant? You know exactly the answer. Does that makes you smarter? No, instead of criticizing kilrathi of his comments, why don't you just help your subscriber?
Go ahead tell us about the plants, maybe we'll have an idea of how TWC operates.

He answered the question quite clearly:
"While of course there are standards this can vary from plant to plant. 8 db is well within these standards, the optimum signal is dependent on the local area."

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to bluepoint
"why don't you just help your subscriber?"

I didn't see him asking for any help and as he used to be employed by TWC he probably is fine.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bluepoint

said by hobgoblin:

"why don't you just help your subscriber?"

I didn't see him asking for any help and as he used to be employed by TWC he probably is fine.

Hob

So what's the point of sarcastically asking that smarty question then?

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

1 edit
reply to kilrathi
said by kilrathi:

I have knowledge of his stats based on the picture. 8dB is quite hot for a modem on multichannel downstream, how do I know? Well its common knowledge and a business twc installer that was here was saying that I risk losing my modem fast if I leave without splitters the way I have now and about 6dB. Considering his snr is also 40 along with high power most likely he is close to the tap without many splitters.

May not matter for years but signs point he may want to look into that and try to add one of those out/-4db splitters etc...

Of course I am not authority on this or anything but its something I would try to reduce a bit if it was a modem I bought.

False. 8db is far from "quite hot". Take whatever someone told you, and forget it. I do not think it is possible for a modem to die from a RX signal issue.

SNR has nothing to do with splitters or tap proximity. If you have 40db MER at the tap, you should be 40db MER at the modem, even 2-3 splitters deep. There are many variables to take into consideration, and it can go either way, but in a good system, with good cable, you should be able to do the above.

Using a splitter with open ports to bring signal down, is terrible, and yes I know some "installers" do this.

You must take into effect what adding a splitter will do to his upstream.

Jabbu
Premium
reply to manshow
said by manshow:

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

hob ur usually right but 0db downstream and 40s upstream is ideal for all systems time warner or not.

There is no difference in -10db, 0db or +10db of clean signal. I've had my modem to -18 before seeing a performance hit that would only affect voip traffic, -22 before taking a real hit. Clean is the key, typically signal at that point is dirty...

You must understand, +10db dirty RX is worse then -10 clean RX. Everyone is so stuck on a specific # in these forums, its a joke.

Jabbu
Premium
reply to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

said by hobgoblin:

said by kilrathi:

Hob

I agree with Hob, and know his point was far from what you are trying to make it sound like.

bluepoint

1 edit
Well, I don't agree. There is a big difference in smarty comments versus an objective posts. It's healthy to see exchanging ideas in a constructive way. If one does not agree with the other posts, then say so and explain, a good example is your post above. Since you seems to be knowledgeable of the subject, your kind of post is welcome and good to see. We all learn from a good posts.

danielholt

Wake Forest, NC
reply to TWCdude
Jesus take the wheel and steer us back into the correct context of this thread.

Cisco 3010 D3's are provisionable by TWC. There's 2 people here now that have confirmed it.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"Cisco 3010 D3's are provisionable by TWC. There's 2 people here now that have confirmed it."

They are not on the approved modem list. Yes they can be provisioned either by a buddy that works for the company or by "an hour of haggling" But my advice would be not to go that route.

My other piece of advice would be not to give out advice on adding amps, splitters or anything else unless you have an idea how the local plant runs, especially if the OP appears to have no issues.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to manshow
"hob ur usually right but 0db downstream and 40s upstream is ideal for all systems time warner or not."

Thank you, however you are wrong, some plants are set up to run at an optimum level and that can vary.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kilrathi
Premium
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to TWCdude
One thing though, when you guys are talking about how plants are setup and various power levels are fine that has to do more with upstream, the facts are that certain dbmv values will cause the modem to heatup and run hotter than others, its simple math, its not about whether there will be problems with the connection itself.

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23
reply to danielholt
From what I read the login page is locked down once the modem is booted up. The only way to see the other pages is to boot the modem up with out the coax and log into it that way to see the other tabs. I was able to log in, but with out the modem locked on you wont see much. Plugging the coax back in after logging in does not work either.

BTW power levels between +-10 were normal operation for us.

Jabbu
Premium
reply to kilrathi
said by kilrathi:

One thing though, when you guys are talking about how plants are setup and various power levels are fine that has to do more with upstream, the facts are that certain dbmv values will cause the modem to heatup and run hotter than others, its simple math, its not about whether there will be problems with the connection itself.

Where is this fact or simple math ?

I know a TV that was hooked up off a hot leg on the plant, it was receiving about 35db on ch2 for months. I've seen modems at +22, running average temp, nothing out of the ordinary when touched.

If the signal is dirty, on the high side or low side the error correction may make the internal chips run non stop and therefore run warmer then a similar modem elsewhere.

ChicagoPlant

@rcn.com
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"hob ur usually right but 0db downstream and 40s upstream is ideal for all systems time warner or not."

Thank you, however you are wrong, some plants are set up to run at an optimum level and that can vary.

Hob

plants may be configured differently region to region but modems and cmts all have a sweet spot. Ur plant could be node +1 amp 860mhz or node +10 amps 550mhz but doesn't change the fact that a +11 receive and/or a transit of 54 will create issues. Dr drew knows plant and can maybe confirm and agree.

Jabbu
Premium

2 edits
Click for full size
said by ChicagoPlant :

doesn't change the fact that a +11 receive and/or a transit of 54 will create issues. Dr drew knows plant and can maybe confirm and agree.

54? Hell, I'll even go straight to 58 for you, and for real geeks, my modem is hitting the cmts at -6, about 8db away from "optimal"

Real world vs posted #s read in FAQs or trained, are completely different.

Jabbu
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to TWCdude
Click for full size
According to dslreports my modem should be catching fire anytime soon with +12.

Fact:
-11 modems hottest spot was 95.5, at +12, hottest spot 95.0.

Chicagoplant

@rcn.com
Assuming ur system is 750mhz and all 117 channels are blasting to your cable modem a +12. Every 3.5db is double the channel power so your cable modem tuner is receiving 8 or more times the signal it needs to work properly. Docsis3 modem tuner uses up to 8 channels but the tuner is still getting hit hard with hot levels. Eventually it will cause tuner to crap out sooner than it should. Hope ur renting ur modem and not slowly frying a modem u bought retail.