uniqs
share rss forum feed

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Owe payments on your ride? Don't park at Walmart or other...

... stores.

Coming To Your Walmart this Christmas Season
»blog.cucollector.com/hot-topics/ ··· -season/

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFzEDnK_ ··· EDnK_HFU

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
kudos:1
Pay your bills= Problem solved!
--
Professional student pilot!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by Bruschi:

Pay your bills= Problem solved!

While easily said, it is hard for some people to do, especially if they have extenuating circumstances like no medical insurance, with unexpected medical bills and job loss while out sick. That can put you in a bind faster than your head can spin.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to Doctor Olds
Good...

If ya pays ya plays. If not OH WELL.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
Police, and parking enforcement use this technology already.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by Beezel:

Yes, but they are not storing a database that can track people like the company behind this asset recovery version is doing. Read the details in the article, as they can begin to predict where you will be based on previously saved data.
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
Police have used that around here for a couple of years and they do store The info into a data base. They actually nabbed a armed robber not to long ago. Basically they just park a cruiser on the medium of 611. It stores all the info and sometimes it has a officer and sometimes it doesnt. Anyone that has any kind of warrant or is one day late on paying for the tag doesnt want to be passing one of them. Pretty well all the departments around here have them. It also instantly matches up plates with people with suspended licenses. They pull in tons of driving under suspensions for dui drivers. Its a expensive system with tracking but since a failure to renew your tag costs 260.00 with costs it gets payed for fast. I know 260 from experience.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Doctor Olds
Daniel Cairns, 37, of 19 Woodland Avenue in Hatboro, is believed to be the man responsible of snatching the diamond ring from a clerk at the Helzberg Diamonds store located on Moreland Road in the Willow Grove section of Abington, around 11:30 a.m., police said.

Witnesses told police officers from neighboring Upper Moreland they spotted a suspicious male, believed to be Cairns, run to a green Jeep Wrangler and quickly flee the area. According to an alert sent out Monday by Upper Moreland Chief Thomas Nestel, the Jeep has body damage.

Upper Morelands automated license plate reader (ALPR) was used to look to see if it captured the plate of the Jeep. It did and Abington police investigating the theft used the images captured by the ALPR to link the Jeep to Cairns.

Police warn that Cairns knows he is wanted and is considered dangerous.

If you know the whereabouts of Cairns or see him, call 9-1-1 immediately, police said.

Parallax
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Doctor Olds
I'm a little mixed up because of title. I understand the story but am I correct in saying that has nothing per se with Walmart. They are not an active participant. Correct? This activity could be any store that has electronic camera surveilance and it's the vendor that owns the cameras, not the store, that's in cohoots with the reposessors?

I would think the stores would raise a stink about this to the camera vendor. It unfairly reflects badly upon the store and hurts business.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
Well yeah, don't know know it's very fashionable to bash Walmart (even when they don't do anything wrong)?

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to Parallax
Nm
--
Caddy

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Parallax
The store doesnt even need a camera. I dont think its the camera at the store that does the scanning. The scanner is in the car as it drives around. Its just scanning the license plates. Similiar to what you see on the parking wars tv show. Ide imagine it wont be to long until we see drones flying around the United States doing the same thing.

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV
reply to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

said by Beezel:

Yes, but they are not storing a database that can track people like the company behind this asset recovery version is doing. Read the details in the article, as they can begin to predict where you will be based on previously saved data.

no one really knows if they are storing info or not. They could be getting kick-backs from the manufacture so they could sell information, etc.. Who knows what big brother is up to now a days.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Our police department is on record as storing all information of every car that drives past. Read my example in my second post. That was a example of how its used with a copy and paste from our paper. Basically they park cars around the township and also place the scanners in police cruisers. If a crime is commited and they get a description of a vehicle they use the data base and make a determination of the likely culprits.
In the provided example they had a green jeep as a description and they simply dispatch officers to check for body damage that matched the description. They simply input the description and the puter spits out every possible suspect based on registrations with the state that was in the township that day.
It also store the info of every vehicle that passes such scanner that is listed as the owner being under suspension. If they cant stop him immediately they simply put a alert out to be on the lookout for such and such vehicle to be stopped at a later date. In the provided example they knew who commited the crime within two hours just based on the scanner and description of vehicle and operator.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to Doctor Olds
»www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/ ··· on_US-EN

Read the ability of the boss software and yes its for police departments. I dont know thats the software they use tho. I seem to remember it being something else. Imagine how it will work when police departments start using drones. We will be getting a major us drone airfield before 2015 here in my home state. ( old willow grove naval base)

Its estimated as many as 70,000 drones will be flying over us airspace by the year 2020. Many to be used by police departments.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Doctor Olds
They must still have to notify the PD before they can steal the car, Otherwise if the owner calls it in and a cop nails the tow truck guy he will get arrested on auto theft. the repo sheet heh those can be faked, So I would hope they tell the PD so dispatch can tell an officer.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
reply to jester121
said by jester121:

Well yeah, don't know know it's very fashionable to bash Walmart (even when they don't do anything wrong)?

statistically speaking, in what financial situation is most walmart shoppers in ?

also, they are doing "business" on walmarts property. dare you to pull into their lot and start selling hotdogs without telling them.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

They must still have to notify the PD before they can steal the car, Otherwise if the owner calls it in and a cop nails the tow truck guy he will get arrested on auto theft. the repo sheet heh those can be faked, So I would hope they tell the PD so dispatch can tell an officer.

They normally call only after they have full possession of the repo, otherwise they would be wasting time and possibly failing to get the repo.

THE AUTO REPOSSESSION BUSINESS By Ralph Thomas
Originally Appeared As A Business Opportunity Syndicated Article
»www.pimall.com/nais/n.repo.html
quote:
Once the repo man has possession of the vehicle he needs to do several things:

A) REPORT REPOSSESSION TO POLICE
This is for the safety of the repossessor and is sometimes required by law. Often times, when the debtor finds his vehicle gone he will call the police and report the vehicle stolen. If the repossessor does not report the repossession to the police, then he will be stopped by the police as they will believe that the vehicle has been stolen. By notifying the police, you are also providing a notice to the debtor as the police will usually notify him or her that the vehicle has been repossessed.

B) COMPLETE INVENTORY AND CONDITION
An inventory and condition report must be made on the vehicle as soon after the repossession as possible. You will find a form for this under the forms section of this investigation.

At the time of the repossession, the repossession agency obtains from the client a written authorization to repossess and what is called a hold harmless agreement. This protects the repossessor from any litigation that can result from the repossession. You will find a sample of a blanket hold harmless agreement at the end of this report.

--

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV
Even doing a private property tow you have to notify the PD when you get it in your lot.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by Beezel:

Even doing a private property tow you have to notify the PD when you get it in your lot.

Yes, that is very much in the same vein as after having possession, they then notify. On your lot and behind locked gates is pretty much 100% possession.
--

NGOwner

join:2000-11-21
Leawood, KS
reply to Doctor Olds
We are rapidly becoming a surveillance state.

Just wait until facial recognition can be coupled with city/county owned cameras.

Person of Interest is becoming eerily prescient.

[NG]Owner
--
It is impossible to create an idiot-proof product. Humanity is simply too adept at churning out better idiots.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Doctor Olds
I think another reason to target walmart lots and shopping centers in general is that they are not controlled access or limited roof clearance.

At the big mall there is no way to fit a tow truck into the parking garage. And many office parks today are or are moving to a limited access model to increase security, No pass or no appointment with someone inside and the guard at the gate makes you leave. And the guard has no legal obligation to allow a repossession to happen nor does the management of the facility that pays said guard.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV
said by Kearnstd:

I think another reason to target walmart lots and shopping centers in general is that they are not controlled access or limited roof clearance.

At the big mall there is no way to fit a tow truck into the parking garage.

There are trucks that can go into low garages. They sit no higher than a normal pickup.