Search similar:

uniqs

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: TSI poster fail...

Canada Post failing at actually leaving the pick up notices.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Ah. That's not cool.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Just checked... We're not skimping out on shipping... They should be delivering right to your home based on what I've been told.
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

They should be delivering right to your home based on what I've been told.

They're not, Marc. This is the exact same process as when Teksavvy ships modems or any other parcel that Teksavvy ships.
But the posters are free, so no one has the right to complain about the posters.

You are receiving this email at the request of INTERNET SERVICES to provide you with updates on the progress of this shipment.

Ship To:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Service Type: Xpresspost

Service Standard Delivery Date: April 29, 2013

Delivery Options:
Card for Pickup

[image ZHEADING_SHIPMENT_DETAILS_EN]

Tracking Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Order Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reference Number: FITE

Item is available for pick up at the Post Office.

An item is available for pick up at the Canada Post location listed on the delivery card. A piece of photo identification will be required to pick up this item.

Please note that this item was sent directly to the Post Office at the request of the Sender.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

K, I'm looking into it.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

K, I'm looking into it.

You shouldn't bother. No one has the right to complain about the posters. They're free (and it's a cool promo). If Teksavvy wants to save on shipping free stuff, that's fair.

Teksavvy forces all parcels to be picked up at a local post office.
They request for all parcels to be carded (forced for pickup at the post office).

Tracking for Canada Post will always indicate the item was attempted to be delivered in these instances of forced post office pickup (pretty stupid; Canada Post should change the faulty automated tracking info when an item is being routed directly to a local post office), when, in fact, the item is just being routed to your local post office for pickup. When your regular mailman delivers your regular mail, he or she just drops the delivery notice card in your mailbox (you should get the delivery card notice within a few days). There's no package to deliver to you, so the mailman doesn't ring your doorbell or knock. The delivery notice card should specify when the item can be picked up and where. If you attempt pickup before the time listed on the card or outside of the official local post office hours, you may experience problems.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm checking for both. Haven't looked into this stuff in a long time. Should have good solution for shipping regardless. It's part of the experience...
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to Webslinger

Premium Member

to Webslinger
K, tx for that. I'll check on all of this on my end too.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Yeah, I'm checking for both. Haven't looked into this stuff in a long time. Should have good solution for shipping regardless. It's part of the experience...

Then, may I respectfully suggest that for situations when customers are charged for shipping, that they are presented with the option to pay more for a signature? Typically, this costs an extra $1.50 through Canada Post for the average individual under normal circumstances (I don't know what kind of deal Teksavvy has with Canada Post). The signature option should cover Teksavvy, legally.

The signature option is nice for those who may be recovering from surgery, have disabilities, mobility issues, or something similar (this is better than having the item forced to a local post office). The customer just needs to be made to understand that he or she must be home when Canada Post attempts delivery.

If the customer isn't home for a signature, then the parcel gets routed to the post office, which is completely understandable. If the customer doesn't want to pay for the signature option, then have the parcel go straight to the local post office as normal.

Just a thought

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I'll look into that. Basically two tiers of shipping.. Not sure what they would charge us or what it mean internally to add a second tier.
Webslinger
Premium Member

3 edits

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

I'll look into that. Basically two tiers of shipping..

Yes, exactly
quote:
Not sure what they would charge us
I'm guessing the signature option would be more than the normal $1.50 everyone else is charged because Teksavvy is already getting a special rate. Canada Post probably figures it's saving a lot of money by not hand delivering packages door to door. Teksavvy may be receiving a significant discount for that reason alone.

Another option for you to look into is this:
»www.paypal.com/shipnow (you have to sign in, and, no, that's not a scam)

Expedited parcel shipping (to anywhere in Canada or the U.S.) through that link gets an additional (paypal) discount on top of the normal small business expedited parcel rate.
This special paypal Expedited parcel rate is always cheaper than regular, standard shipping. And you can add the signature option for an extra $1.50. I suspect Teksavvy may be able to negotiate something better though through Canada Post.
quote:
or what it mean internally to add a second tier.

Yeah, sorry, that will also have some extra cost involved, probably (or at least staff training). But it would be a nice option to have for those recovering from medical issues at home (or those with disabilities or something).

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Yeah, if it were simple.. We'd already have it done. The other big one is the R&D time to modify the systems.
Webslinger
Premium Member

2 edits

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

The other big one is the R&D time to modify the systems.

Yeah, understood.

Anyway, as someone who is recovering at home (having gone through this with the modem delivery), I have to say the forced local post office pickup is an inconvenience (and that probably holds true for those with mobility issues as well). It's a lot more shocking when the customer, at no point, when calling in or when communicating in the direct forum, isn't told that he or she will be forced to pick up the modem at the post office. At the time, I was pretty upset. But as I said earlier, a Teksavvy rep did something nice for me to offset the inconvenience.

On the other side of the counter, of course, there's an increased cost involved for Teksavvy to implement the signature option, but I think giving that option to those who need it (mobility issues or whatever) would allow Teksavvy to present itself as being a company with heart (or whatever marketing slogan sounds nice). It would definitely be a nicer option, I think, anyway.

Trying to convince company executives, directors, and owners to spend more money is always a tough sell, I know.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

You have a great point about letting you know that you will have to pick it up.

I think we changed from Canpar earlier this year.. Maybe we just never updated to reflect the changes.

Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience.. For what its worth, this is the first time I will personally look into this... I'll do my best to give it a thorough look.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

Thank you very much

And thanks for looking into the aggregated congestion problem.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

No problem. My pleasure.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I think we changed from Canpar earlier this year.. Maybe we just never updated to reflect the changes.

I think you are right that the forced pick up at the local post office is fairly recent, but it has been a lot more than 1 year. Maybe since the start of Teksavvy doing TPIA?!

If two tier shipping works out, I think it is worth making the other option a proper courier (with signature requirement, if that's what Teksavvy needs). A courier will make multiple delivery attempts (UPS does 3, but they'll all do at least 2), where Canada Post will only ever attempt delivery once. If hand delivery is important, multiple attempts is important too.

Of course if all delivery attempts fail, courier pick up locations are much harder to get to than the post office...

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Yeah. There's no perfect answer. If only they could drop if off at post office if they can't deliver. Lol

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

said by TSI Marc:

If only they could drop if off at post office if they can't deliver. Lol

That's what their supposed to do ( unless instructed otherwise ) . Card the item for pickup if it can't be delivered .

Poser
join:2002-07-28

1 recommendation

Poser to KPaul

to KPaul
I know the poster is free. But I'm not going to make a special trip to the post office to pick up something I don't really care about. I was just going to throw it up in my bedroom for some laughs.

CanadaPost should have delivered the thing to my door.

anonymous2
@velcom.ca

anonymous2

Anon

Poser, Canada Post could not have delivered it to your door because it appears that Teksavvy selected "card for pick up". If Teksavvy did that when preparing the shipping label, Canada Post is not allowed to deliver it to your door. This is ALL on Teksavvy.

Unfortunately, this a marketing mess-up by Teksavvy, if they prepared the shipping label with the "card for pick up" option chosen. I'm Teksavvy is already using this experience to learn.
RobC7
join:2010-07-15
Ottawa, ON

RobC7 to Crowbar10

to Crowbar10
said by Crowbar10:

said by TSI Marc:

That's what their supposed to do ( unless instructed otherwise ) . Card the item for pickup if it can't be delivered .

I think the notation that you may be looking for is DO NOT SAFE DROP, otherwise the driver has the discretion to leave the parcel at the door if there isn't anyone to receive it at the time, or the driver could card it for pickup. My understanding is that DO NOT SAFE DROP should cause a delivery attempt to be made, with a fallback to card for pickup.
chrisl83
join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

chrisl83 to anonymous2

to anonymous2
Canada post only does door delivery in selected areas. It's not common at all to have canada post to bring it to the door. It's not teksavvys fault. Blame lazy Canada post. Or people angry over a free poster that shouldn't even have tracking to begin with, for a free promotion.
Webslinger
Premium Member

4 edits

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by chrisl83 :
It's not teksavvys fault.
Actually, in this case, Teksavvy is the reason the parcel goes straight to the local post office.
quote:
Blame lazy Canada post.
No. Canada Post is instructed by Teksavvy to route all parcels to the local post office (card for pickup). And I don't think anyone is to blame for a free poster.

Don't know why I have to keep posting this. I give up.

They request for all parcels to be carded (forced for pickup at the post office).

Tracking for Canada Post will always indicate the item was attempted to be delivered in these instances of forced post office pickup (pretty stupid; Canada Post should change the faulty automated tracking info when an item is being routed directly to a local post office), when, in fact, the item is just being routed to your local post office for pickup. When your regular mailman delivers your regular mail, he or she just drops the delivery notice card in your mailbox (you should get the delivery card notice within a few days). There's no package to deliver to you, so the mailman doesn't ring your doorbell or knock. The delivery notice card should specify when the item can be picked up and where. If you attempt pickup before the time listed on the card or outside of the official local post office hours, you may experience problems.

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10 to chrisl83

to chrisl83
said by chrisl83:

Canada post only does door delivery in selected areas. It's not common at all to have canada post to bring it to the door. It's not teksavvys fault. Blame lazy Canada post.

CPC doesn't deliver to the door in areas that have CMBs ( community mail boxes ) It's got nothing to due with anyone being lazy , they are just doing what their told to do . It's you that's looking to blame someone , and it's not working ...
Crowbar10

Crowbar10 to RobC7

to RobC7
said by RobC7:

I think the notation that you may be looking for is DO NOT SAFE DROP, otherwise the driver has the discretion to leave the parcel at the door if there isn't anyone to receive it at the time, or the driver could card it for pickup. My understanding is that DO NOT SAFE DROP should cause a delivery attempt to be made, with a fallback to card for pickup.

Safe Drop and this situation are two different things. The driver has No discretion or option if the item is hold for pickup . This is done to avoid theft of the item .
chrisl83
join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

chrisl83 to Webslinger

to Webslinger
said by Webslinger:

said by chrisl83 :
It's not teksavvys fault.
Actually, in this case, Teksavvy is the reason the parcel goes straight to the local post office.
quote:
Blame lazy Canada post.
No. Canada Post is instructed by Teksavvy to route all parcels to the local post office (card for pickup). And I don't think anyone is to blame for a free poster.

Don't know why I have to keep posting this. I give up.

I guess I should have added the situation I was talking about was for people who have P.O boxes.

anonymous2
@velcom.ca

anonymous2 to RobC7

Anon

to RobC7
said by RobC7:

said by Crowbar10:

said by TSI Marc:

Do Not Safe drop does not mean that the driver has any discretion at all. They are not allowed to leave the package at the door. It must be handed to someone at the address. They usually ignore this instruction anyway but by the letter of the rules,they are supposed to have it held for pickup if there is no one there to accept the package.

With Hold For Pickup, the package must be held at the post office, without exception.
anonymous2

anonymous2 to chrisl83

Anon

to chrisl83
said by chrisl83:

Canada post only does door delivery in selected areas. It's not common at all to have canada post to bring it to the door. It's not teksavvys fault. Blame lazy Canada post. Or people angry over a free poster that shouldn't even have tracking to begin with, for a free promotion.

Yes, Canada Post does sometimes do fake delivery attempts when they shouldn't.

This isn't what happened here. Teksavvy left instructions for the package not be delivered to the door.

This is all Teksavvy's fault and they are the only ones who came be "blamed" for this.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

graniterock

Premium Member

On the flipside. I actually prefer a card and deliver straight to the post office. I'm usually not home 90% of the time that they do the delivery. If I'm not home they leave a card and it's available the next day. If they ship it straight to the post office and leave me a card I'm able to pick it up same day after 4 which means I get the package a day sooner.