how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wilma dG

join:2013-04-18

Hotmail account closed by Bell when switched ISPs

Hi everyone
I posted this question on TekSavvy but I will try it here too.

We switched ISP from Belll to TekSavvy early in April, and when I checked my Hotmail that day I was amazed to see that the account was closed due to "violation of terms of use agreement".

I have had my Hotmail account for 13+ years, even before I owned my first computer, and kept the same email address "xxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com" the entire time. I did notice that at some point, without my consent, it seemed to morph into a BellMail account although the email address stayed the same. And then around Feb/March this all changed to Outlook.com.

Some friends over in the TekSavvy forum have suggested that this is because Bell has hijacked the Hotmail account, it is no longer an independent account but somehow linked to BellMail, and when we switched ISPs, voila - it was shut down. Trouble is, the helpful people at Bell Tech Support (we tried Tech Support Live Chat twice) continue to say this is a Microsoft problem and have no clue what to do next (numerous moderator-types at Microsoft are all telling me it's Bell, which I know believe).

Anyone had experience with this before and any tips on how to make Bell see the light?

Thanks so much!

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

1 edit

It would be normal if you had a @sympatico email... but hotmail ?

How does Microsoft know it's Bell faults ?

Where you using an Aliase account ?

Unless you created that hotmail account via Bell canada ?

Martin
Premium
join:2005-05-05
@bell.ca
kudos:3
reply to Wilma dG

Bell have no access to your @hotmail.com account. Bell now uses Microsoft Hotmail address their @sympatico.ca or @bell.net but not @hotmail.com.

If your address ended with @bell.net or @sympatico.ca, it is normal that changing provider that is closed.

For @hotmail.com account, contact Microsoft, Bell got nothing to do with it.

gcerullo

@bell.ca
reply to Wilma dG

What does this mean,

"I did notice that at some point, without my consent, it seemed to morph into a BellMail account although the email address stayed the same."

How did it morph in a BellMail account?

I have to agree with the other replies. If you had an @hotmail.com account I find it difficult to believe that Bell has anything to do with your problem.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Wilma dG

Here is the OPs post from the TekSavvy forum »[Cable] hotmail/outlook closed when switched ISP from Bell.

»Re: [Cable] hotmail/outlook closed when switched ISP from Bell here is a link to the last few posts on how the change might have happened.

Wilma dG

reply to Martin

I'm sorry, you are wrong. Bell has everything to do with it. When you got to Outlook.com the Bell logo appears in the upper left hand corner when I log in (I can log in the but get a message stating that the email account was closed) The domain name @hotmail.com still applies today and has remained the same for the entire time that I had the account (it was never @bell.net or @sympatico.ca). Most of the time that I had the account I did not even own a computer but used computers at school, library, parent's house etc. The computers I used most often (parents and boyfriend's) both used Bell as their ISP.

Just curious, I notice that you have the Bell icon attached to your name. Do you have any contacts at Bell that could help solve my problem? The first-level tech support are no help whatsoever.

Wilma dG

reply to gcerullo

said by gcerullo :

What does this mean,

"I did notice that at some point, without my consent, it seemed to morph into a BellMail account although the email address stayed the same."

How did it morph in a BellMail account?

>>>>>>>>>What I mean is that when I logged into my Hotmail account one day a few years ago, I noticed that the Hotmail "welcome" page (sorry, don't know the correct term) had Bell logos all over it and said "BellMail" even though my email address was exactly the same.>>>>>>>

I have to agree with the other replies. If you had an @hotmail.com account I find it difficult to believe that Bell has anything to do with your problem.

>>>>>>Yeah, you and all the Bell support tech "help" but it's true.It's either a Bell glitch of some kind or they deliberately hijacked my Hotmail and shut it down when we switched ISPs . Isn't it kind of a coincidence that after 13 years, it would close down on the day we switched to TekSavvy? I'll send this "case" out to you guys/girls who are way smarter than me, as a challenge to (a) believe it can happen; and (b) figure it out. >>>>>

Wilma dG

reply to JCohen

Thanks for that. I tried with Bell again (Tech Support Live Chat)after reading that but again got nowhere and they eventually disconnected on me, after claiming the usual "not a Bell problem" when I tried to ask for "someone else" or a supervisor. I don't know if there are different levels of expertise or interest among Bell tech support people but, as in any field, assume that there must be. Next I will try calling and speaking to a " real person" but am running out of days off that I can devote to this. Thanks again for your help.

Martin
Premium
@bell.ca

1 edit
reply to Wilma dG

Bell can not close a "@hotmail.com" account since this domain name does not belong! Bell power on "@bell.net" or "@sympatico.ca" only.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

The thread indicates that the account was linked to a Sympatico or Bell account at some point. When the Bell service was terminated, Bell would close the Sympatico or Bell mail account ... and since it's associated with the hotmail account, that gets locked pending deletion.

Bell has to release its link to the hotmail address.

kovy

3 edits
reply to Wilma dG

said by Wilma dG:

I'm sorry, you are wrong. Bell has everything to do with it. When you got to Outlook.com the Bell logo appears in the upper left hand corner when I log in (I can log in the but get a message stating that the email account was closed) The domain name @hotmail.com still applies today and has remained the same for the entire time that I had the account (it was never @bell.net or @sympatico.ca). Most of the time that I had the account I did not even own a computer but used computers at school, library, parent's house etc. The computers I used most often (parents and boyfriend's) both used Bell as their ISP.

Just curious, I notice that you have the Bell icon attached to your name. Do you have any contacts at Bell that could help solve my problem? The first-level tech support are no help whatsoever.

I don't see any Bell logos ...

Can you show us ?

Martin
Premium
@bell.ca
reply to Wilma dG

Sorry but Bell does not have the authority to address a suitable domain "@hotmail.com".

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by Martin:

Sorry but Bell does not have the authority to address a suitable domain "@hotmail.com".

Possibly not but hotmail does have the ability to link accounts. Maybe this customer has found a corner-case where unlinking fails and T1 support has no tools or processes to help.

Not the first time Bell has sold a feature that had provisioning problems (speaking as a previous customer of the Just One landline / cell voicemail feature ... I had to get three Bell departments on the phone, together, just to get the service properly activated).

Wilma dG

reply to kovy

Here is a screenshot of what I get when I log into Outlook.com (remember Hotmail turned into Outlook a few months ago)

Wilma dG

sorry, it didn't seem to attach. I'll try again.

kovy

1 edit
reply to Wilma dG

I'm on outlook.com and don't see Bell logo... does anybody else see this logo ?

Wilma dG

reply to Wilma dG

trying to attach the screenshot ...

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:10
reply to Wilma dG

Try using »imageshack.us/ for the screenshot.

Wilma dG

1 edit

Here's another attempt as a jpeg.

kovy

reply to Wilma dG

You know can you just edit your post...

Fed Up

join:2007-02-19
m4m2v
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to Wilma dG

Hi OP let me help out with the image.
Using »mail.sympatico.ca I can get a live login with a Bell logo.

Have you tried contacting the executive office at Bell. There are details on this forum somewhere. Just search for Bell Executive office. You will have a better chance talking to them. edit - found it »Bell Canada Internet FAQ »I'm not able to get my problem resolved. Who do I call now?

Tip on attaching images - when you use preview / attach you can upload images (probably a size restriction). then you can place [att=x] where x is the attachment number to force the attachment to appear where you put the placeholder instead of all at the top of the post.

Martin
Premium
@bell.ca
reply to Wilma dG

Just type "bell.net" in your navigator in result Bell Windows Live Mail also.

Bell_Dom

join:2009-02-04
Gatineau, QC
kudos:16

How about just posting in the direct area?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

Good idea Dom ...

»Bell Canada Direct

Raymur Bard

@bell.ca
reply to Wilma dG

This happened to a friend of mine who had a yahoo account for many years. Then he got rogers ISP but never used a "@rogers.com" email. Last year, he switched to TekSavvy and poof, he was locked out of his yahoo email account.

Turns out when he got rogers ISP, rogers "linked" his yahoo email account to his rogers ISP account (much in the same way Bell is tied to MS/Hotmail). So when he cancelled his rogers, his yahoo email account locked him out.

He finally worked it out by having rogers "unlink" his yahoo email from the rogers system, then he contacted yahoo to re-activate his yahoo account and get all his emails.

It took a few calls and emails between himself and Rogers and Yahoo, but it did get resolved. He even spoke to someone at Yahoo over the phone! Don't hear that too often.

Hope this helps.

Wilma dG

Hi Everyone

Just thought I would let you know that my Hotmail account seems to have been magically activated again. I have no idea how this happened. Perhaps some Bell insider reading this forum took pity on me and fixed the problem. I had planned to keep trying via Bell, using some of the advice I got here, but when I happened to check the account today it was suddenly back!! I know it wasn't Microsoft, they have ignored my last few pleas for help on their bogus Help Forum (sorry, I am cynical...)

I want to keep two email accounts going in the future and regularly transfer everything back and forth.

Thank you so much, everybody!

kovy

well its not here because we dont any info

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
reply to Wilma dG

said by Wilma dG:

Hi Everyone

Just thought I would let you know that my Hotmail account seems to have been magically activated again. I have no idea how this happened.

Thats good. Maybe the Bell tie-in expires after 21 days? Leaving the account to fester away on Hotmail until it expires in a few months before auto-delete. Since you set up at Hotmail before the Bell hijack tie-in.
Or else the squeaky wheel of technology finally got to that one person at Bhell who unhooks recently terminated accounts from Hotmail.

Your original thread on Teksavvy's board here: »[Cable] hotmail/outlook closed when switched ISP from Bell