spc
Search similar:

uniqs

echo7
Echo7
join:2000-10-20
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

[OOL] How to get MOTOROLA SBG6580 to work ?

Does anyone know how to setup MOTOROLA SBG6580 on optimum online, I got this modem for dirt cheap and was wondering if I am able to use the wireless which is built in it and all the other features instead of just bridging it and not having access to wireless function of it :/ . Does anyone here use sbg6580 ? I search the forums but no one seems to use it on optimum online its a very fast modem I think only one that offers gigabit port out gateway and wireless built in but
I cannot get it to work I have to turn off NAPT and disable dhcp and disable wireless primary network then it does work as on cable modem only. If anyone has success with it please let me know.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

Has it been properly registered with CV (either via calling in or running the modem swap software yourself)? You shouldn't have to do anything different than any other cable provider to get it working.

echo7
Echo7
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

Yes it has been registered, but outta the box it doesn't because its a cable modem gateway and wireless, and maybe there is a new firmware but im not sure how to update it I think optimum has to do it.
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

cabletecht

Optimum isn't going to update the firmware. Not sure why the wireless doesn't fuction, but I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with it being used with Optimum.

Did you buy it used? Just wondering if maybe its defective since you say it was dirt cheap.

echo7
Echo7
Bayonne, NJ

1 edit

echo7

no brand new in box just got a good deal on amazon, only reason i got it is I heard its much faster than ones that OOL gives away and hands down it is, I get constant 60 Mb down and 8 Mb up plus 8ms ping to optimum speed test server on the arris i get 45 and 4-5 up occassionally
cabletecht

cabletecht

I haven't set one of these up before, but after you enabled NAPT you will need to reset the modem since it will most likley change the MAC address on the Optimum network and require a new IP to be assigned. Worth a shot if you don't recall doing that.

echo7
Echo7
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

It has 2 different WAN MACs Im not sure which one to register with so I just registered with the HFC which seemed logical at the time. but OOL won't give me support because its not their modem so I have to figure a way or at least find a tutorial somewhere on how to get it to work the right way. I was hoping maybe anyone here was using the same unit.
cabletecht

cabletecht

2 WAN macs?
or 1 WAN mac and 1 HFC mac?

echo7
Echo7
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

its hard to explain it has two WAN macs since its a cable modem gateway and wifi router all in one, you have to disable the wireless as primary WAN and then you have another WAN which is gateway this is why OOL won't give support for this device Im assuming its just plain confusing lol, I can upload some pics so you know what I mean, I hoped someone on this forum might actually have the device fully operational and could give me a hint as to how does the setup go :/