Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

Downloaded amount

How much have you downloaded so far this month ?

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
from rogers site.

Details for April 01, 2013 - April 30, 2013
Usage to date: 1,784.6 GB

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1
There's that much worth downloading??

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
I only pulled down 14GB this month. Aside from regular weekly content, there is nothing worth grabbing lately.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to Rojo
said by Rojo:

There's that much worth downloading??

Think of all the pron out there.

So far I have around 100GB. Been a slow month though...

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to Rojo
I did a few full BR rips so those are like 45GB each and some of it is stuff I already got but if a group I know is good puts the same movie out I'll redownload it if i've yet to watch it.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to 90115534
I just check the shaw tracker:

From April 5th to 24th I have downloaded 259gb.

I may have downloaded two HD seasons packs of TV shows from umm.. iTunes yah thats it. That probably added about 120gb over my regular usage.

jazzlady

join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA
reply to 90115534
said by 90115534:

How much have you downloaded so far this month ?

104 GB's as of today.

Some of that is Linux distros though- for real.
--
“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Sinclair Lewis

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
·Vonage
reply to 90115534
netmeter 1.1.41

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to 90115534
1.4 TB give or take, I cut the cord and had to adjust to the files that were on the DVR that I lost access to. I am hoping as time goes on my usage drops quite a bit. I am on U-verse and they have a cap that at this time they are not using but who knows what the future holds.

jlo14566

join:2013-03-07
I'm curious what everyone is doing with all these files. Right now I burn mine to disk. Over the years I have burned over 10,000 4.7g DVDs all cataloged on excel sheets. Lately I'm tiring of the work and thinking maybe large external storage drives may be easier. What's cheaper tho?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
Do what everyone else does and just set up a media center. Serve your media up via IP rather than DVD.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to jlo14566
said by jlo14566:

I'm curious what everyone is doing with all these files. Right now I burn mine to disk. Over the years I have burned over 10,000 4.7g DVDs all cataloged on excel sheets. Lately I'm tiring of the work and thinking maybe large external storage drives may be easier. What's cheaper tho?

I download what I plan on watching and delete what I am done with. The only exception to this is if I feel the original content will be hard to locate again, I will then archive those files. All of this is just kept digitally on my hard drive and streamed throughout the house.

I have allocated 3 TB for archive 1 TB for movies and 1.5TB for TV media. If I fall behind that I know I am downloading more than I am going to ever reasonably watch and will start purging data.

I also do a lot of web streaming via Crunchyroll for my nerd shows in 1080p, however this is a relatively small portion of the data downloaded.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to jlo14566
damn bro get yourself two 3TB internal drives or external and throw all those damn discs away.

Back in the day I download whole dvd's as I did not download much and did not care about getting HD stuff and that's how anime was uploaded to usenet as the whole ISO then turned them to dvd. I also did not have a media PC back then and played the stuff in a dvd player. Now I know WTF I'm doing and download HD stuff and use a HTPC. I do download a whole BRrip sometimes but that is rare but again just play those as an ISO.

This thread maybe of use to you. maybe we should make a media player thread on this forum as you need something to play all this stuff we talk about downloading.

»A good media player to replace boxee box

jazzlady

join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA
reply to jlo14566
said by jlo14566:

I used to burn it all to DVD also, but I just have way too much stuff. I have been considering a blu-ray burner though.

Right now I use several external Thermaltake BlacX docks and 2TB hard drives. I've got about 6 so far. I stay with 2TB because the docks I have only work with drives up to that size. So it's good enough for now, even if it isn't the most convenient way to archive.
--
“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Sinclair Lewis

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to 90115534
I keep about 60 hours of stuff archived and that's it once I realized I hardly ever go back and watch old stuff since I can hardly keep up with new stuff.
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
reply to jlo14566
I invested in a WHS v1 system a few years ago where 90% of my local media is stored (music, pictures, and videos). Between that and Plex Media Server installed on a computer that transcodes well (only when necessary however), every box (including PS3, Rokus, iOS devices) has access to all that content, at home and remotely.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

ophelus

join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO
reply to jlo14566
said by jlo14566:

I'm curious what everyone is doing with all these files. Right now I burn mine to disk. Over the years I have burned over 10,000 4.7g DVDs all cataloged on excel sheets.

Burning sucks.. I burned maybe 1000-2000 cd's/dvd's myself.. the irony is that was mainly in 2004-2008 or something.. I think it's kind of stupid to burn movies cause..

You download the divx version.. (a burn to cd-r) and then you get the DVD version (another burn) and finally you have to get the 720/1080p version.. (another) ahh.. I give up lol

I have about 10-13 tb of storage right now.. it seems "good enough"

join:2013-05-04
reply to jlo14566

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
A better question is why?

ophelus

Kansas City, MO
reply to 90115534
said by 76131049:

I'm curious what everyone is doing with all these files.

I think a lot of us just realized it was "okay" to delete files.. not have to archive all of them?

My 10-13 tb drives aren't full.. they actually haven't been full since I got them a year or 2 ago.. I have about 2 to 3 Tb free right now.. (and more if I really wanted it)

Hard drives are pretty cheap.. go explore Gb prices.. I mean what is it $.01 a Gb now or maybe $.0001 Gb? understandably though let's be clear.. hard drives die.. 3-5 years down the line or sometimes "never" but you have to keep account you'll have to replace them.. (anyway my understanding is Bluray archiving became big.. are they still a $1 a disc?)

I think another reason why it's okay to delete.. is because you know the data will be ON the usenet again.. (or is still there in some cases maybe not true with DCMA?) given however that torrents are still around and not going anywhere.. data collecting isn't going to die..

Also I think it is given most of us will drop 'data collecting' when the providers give us something meaningful/affordable/easy/quality for our money..

Until all these money grubbing corporations work in co-operation and empower company's like Netflix ect. to do the job.. their "fractal" approach to the problem is not the solution.. so it's gonna have some semi-low energy results compared to a Netflix approach which people will pay for (when Netflix is allowed to be Netflix )

One thing I think is ALSO not understood.. but a lot of the dye's on CD's and DVD's doesn't last forever.. it is maybe on some only good for 5-15 years.. you should maybe test some of your burns from WAY long ago.. make sure your disc's aren't already bad

ophelus

Kansas City, MO
reply to 90115534
Also one other piece of information.. while hard drives will physically die (magnet motor usually goes out) after 3-5 years of use.. (give or take)

If one is to do long term data storage with them.. then "unplugging"/storing them could give you 5-30 years to unlimited in some cases (some hard drives created in the 80's and 90's still work today ) most are usually unplugged though and sitting around.. too old, too little data, to slow a throughput

Personally, I don't do that.. I honestly like to have the DATA I'm keeping archived/available to me.. I hate getting up

Also in all my burning maybe only 10-30% of those archived were ever touched more than once.. today all my archives (what's left of them.. hang in a storage locker 'untouched')