spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dazman09

join:2010-10-28

[SK] bandwidth counter broken?

The bandwidth counter on secure.shaw.ca is only showing about 45gigs transferred this month (its been at 45gigs for about 10-14 days now). I've actually transferred over 200gigs with my computer alone, and we have an AppleTV, and a few other computers I'm not counting on top of that.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
What kind of data was the 200GB? NNTP by chance?

-Posted from my phone

dazman09

Yes, majority is SSL NNTP from a 3rd party server. Are the no longer counting NNTP?
My usage has been 150+ gigs for the last several month, then April, possibly my highest usage yet, is >50.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
NNTP has never been counted, or counted very rarely...

Last time I had access to their system (this was a long ways back), their internal tool didn't show NNTP traffic either.

There are a few threads about it here
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to dazman09

Last time I had access to their system (this was a long ways back), their internal tool didn't show NNTP traffic either.

--

waldstein

join:2010-07-25
Hoserland

1 edit
said by kevinds:

Could you clear up an ambiguity, please? Do you mean ALL nntp, or simply those on a non-standard port? Also, is SSL a factor? Reason I ask: I use third party nntp for nearly all my dl's, port 119, no ssl. And, trust me, they are most certainly counted here, as my usage meter is nearly always within a few percent of my router's count (allowing for the stupid 2 day lag on Shaw's meters).

My modem, btw, is the smc in modem-only mode.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
No idea,

When I tested it, all NNTP and SNNTP wasn't counted, I did 2TB NNTP and NNTP-SSL using the standard ports, counters showed 100GB

From experience, most NNTP traffic isn't counted, don't know how/why

Maybe they are starting to fix the bug, or it only applies to certain modem models?

It bothered me for a long while why it wasn't counted, but I eventually stopped trying to figure it out.
--

dazman09

This is a first for me, NNTP has always been counted. Our counter shows over 200gigs back in January. I was the only one home and I'm pretty sure something like 85+% of that would be NNTP exclusively. Not sure what else it could have been.
Same with last month. No clue how we would have done 170gigs not including NNTP. Something has changed this month for sure.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to dazman09
Over a year ago when I first went on BB50 I noticed that Shaw's reporting numbers were very very low. I think at that time it wasn't including nntp traffic. That was corrected a while ago though. I find that Shaw's meter is somewhat accurate these days

That being said the tracker seems to have completely disappeared from the website?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Yeah, it is gone again

Omega2007

@shawcable.net
I just check mine. Its shows from April 12 to May 16. WTF usually its 30 days from my My billing date. It didnt reset the month. It just added old and new month together. I am over my limit according to stupid meter.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Mine is totaling last months and this months too. It must be broken again.