uniqs

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to nephipower

Premium Member

to nephipower

Re: What is the state of current Uverse HD Picture Quality?

I've noticed much fewer artifacts as well. But the PQ looks soft compared to DirecTV. The PQ will still completely fail with any scene involving falling confetti.

Most of my watching these days is on Netflix which has better PQ.

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

said by Michail:

I've noticed much fewer artifacts as well. But the PQ looks soft compared to DirecTV. The PQ will still completely fail with any scene involving falling confetti.

The softness is a issue of the tv being miss-adjusted. As for the picture breaking up, you see it even on Netflix or other IPTv type services that push no more than a 6-8 meg stream, and during fast motion.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to Michail

to Michail
said by Michail:

With TWC they have been doing a lot of changes to move over to digital this past year. I was surprised to find for the first time during a show where they shot confetti into the air that was metallic and reflective and the whole screen didn't have a bunch of macroblocking.

When channels were analog last year and now it is digital on TWC I was surprised to see the improvement. I expect with time codecs will get more efficient and better to where we might not even see that anymore with uverse.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to old_tech

Premium Member

to old_tech
said by old_tech:

The softness is a issue of the tv being miss-adjusted.

I wish that were true. While the appearance of text and other things can be improved some with the right algorithms being applied by a set manufacturer, it doesn't change the fact that the detail was crushed by over-compression.
Expand your moderator at work
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

1 edit

GusHerb

I just recently set up a TV for someone and calibrated everything to the optimal settings and the Uverse PQ still wasn't "top notch", then again I'm probably spoiled by the superb HD quality we get from many of the big local OTA networks.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

Lets make sure to keep this thread on topic. That is why I specifically stated in the OP for this NOT to turn into a flame war.

Refrain from the childlike antics of one person basically just resorting to saying something is crap because they say it is so. Make sure to offer rational and thought out answers.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think overall i have learned that it has gotten better, especially if you make sure to get the Motorola VIP2250 DVR. But since the stream is only 6 mbits there is a bit of softness still to the picture.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

1 edit

old_tech to GusHerb

Premium Member

to GusHerb
Click for full size
said by GusHerb:

said by old_tech:

said by Michail:

Huh? And where is your proof everyone on U-verse has their sets miscalibrated? The picture is soft. That's a well documented result of the bitrate and I have eyes. Why are my other inputs not soft?

Sharpening algorithms can help to an extent but they just fool the eye.

I have proof, because I am sitting right in front of my set, which has been calibrated, and the picture quality is top notch, crystal clear. Oh, my service is U-Verse, and I have no problems with PQ.

Again, unless you have actual proof, not a bunch of FUD that you have heard from others, you can just move on Michail.

I just recently set up a TV for someone and calibrated everything to the optimal settings and the Uverse PQ still wasn't "top notch", then again I'm probably spoiled by the superb HD quality we get from many of the big local OTA networks.

OTA is not eve superb. They are far from being Superb in their quality, which also ends up being why ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS look no better on CATV, Satellite, FiOS, UVerse end up looking so bad, when you switch between OTA and the Pay to watch feed.

This is what a properly calibrated set looks like on U-Verse.
old_tech

old_tech to nephipower

Premium Member

to nephipower

said by nephipower:

Lets make sure to keep this thread on topic. That is why I specifically stated in the OP for this NOT to turn into a flame war.

Refrain from the childlike antics of one person basically just resorting to saying something is crap because they say it is so. Make sure to offer rational and thought out answers.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think overall i have learned that it has gotten better, especially if you make sure to get the Motorola VIP2250 DVR. But since the stream is only 6 mbits there is a bit of softness still to the picture.

Again, the softness will be if it is upscaled SD (ie 480i) programming, bad feed from the local affiliate, or poor calibration on the tv.
FTW6470
join:2008-04-14
Fort Worth, TX

FTW6470 to Anon

to Anon

Last I checked, I'm still a Uverse internet customer and had the tv service for over 3 years. I believe my opinion is more than germane to the conversation at hand.

Maybe next time you can actually address some of the arguments I made...

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

said by FTW6470:

Last I checked, I'm still a Uverse internet customer and had the tv service for over 3 years. I believe my opinion is more than germane to the conversation at hand.

Maybe next time you can actually address some of the arguments I made...

If you do not like the service, why do you still have it. Sorry, but unable to compute that remark with someone who does not like what they are paying for, but unable to decide to move to something else.

Sort of like going out to eat with someone, and they hate not only the menu, but the restaurant, but they keep going there and ordering food off of the menu.
ram1220
join:2009-07-03
Allen, TX

ram1220

I also have Uverse TV and internet. I've had them for 5 years. I love the internet but hate the TV service. Hd does look soft. And forget about watching anything with a moving picture. The only reason I have kept the TV service so long is because I get a nice discount on my internet as long as I have TV. But I am switching my TV service to DirecTV this month. I am just sick and tired of paying AT&T a lot of money each month for a 3rd rate HD picture. I too have had my TV professionally calibrated on each input. OTA looks so much better than Uverse. And to the guy that posted the TV picture. Where on screen does it tell us that is Uverse? Could be any picture that you drummed up. And to me the quality of the picture you posted looks soft also.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 edit

Moffetts

tl;dr

Uverse PQ sucks almost as hard as their internet plans.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

2 edits

GusHerb to old_tech

to old_tech

said by old_tech:

OTA is not eve superb. They are far from being Superb in their quality, which also ends up being why ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS look no better on CATV, Satellite, FiOS, UVerse end up looking so bad, when you switch between OTA and the Pay to watch feed.

This is what a properly calibrated set looks like on U-Verse.

CBS, ABC, NBC, and WGN in my area have very very good PQ. Comparing between all, those networks out do Comcast, Uverse, and Direct.

Also, when we did have Uverse HD service I flipped between cable and OTA on the same network and the difference was nearly night and day, unfortunately.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

As they state, mileage will vary. Sinclair & Nexstar could give a whoop about PQ. As for WGN, it will be good on all providers, unless they do SD programming, which you will tell, because of the letterboxing, and same goes when they do it on CW, but usually on CW, they do good ole stretch-o-vision with 480i content.