how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MartyDavis

join:2013-04-26
Keller, TX

FiOS Install - Cat5 Abuse?

After FiOS was installed (we were in the first beta-test group in Keller), I noticed that the CAT5 cable running up the exterior wall was stapled and bent rather severely. The service works, so perhaps I shouldn't complain, but everything I've read concerning the running of UTP cable always warns against sharp radius bends and using staples.

Would it be worth it to replace the original CAT5 with a newly installed one that adheres to installation standards? If I'm paying for bandwidth I certainly want to get all of it.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
It's just standard cable, run your own and while you are at it use Cat 5E or Cat 6 solid core wire (not stranded). For a neat professional look, run the cable inside the walls and put wall plates with jacks on both ends. It's easy to punch down the cable into the jacks and snap it into the wall plates. Use the T568B standard (google it). Then just get 2 pre-made patch cords with stranded wire for the connections between the wall plate jacks and the ONT and Router. Home Depot, Loews, Fry's or Compusa sell everything you need like the bulk cable, wall plates, RJ45 jacks and patch cords.

MartyDavis

join:2013-04-26
Keller, TX
Thanks. I was going to use 5E/6 for all new wiring.

I'm surprised at how they ran the wire, although I imagine most people just want it to work and never fret over technical details that could affect the performance.

Fry's is the best, by the way. It's hard to visit that store without spending money.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
said by MartyDavis:

Fry's is the best, by the way. It's hard to visit that store without spending money.

LOL, I know exactly what you mean, I think my car can find the way to the store in Irving without me. For quick trips I also like the Compusa aka Tigerdirect store here on 121 and Glade in Euless.

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
I LOVE the Irving store. lol.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to MartyDavis
said by MartyDavis:

If I'm paying for bandwidth I certainly want to get all of it.

Do you have any evidence that you aren't? Do some speed tests before you worry about replacing cables.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Springbok
said by Springbok:

Use the T568B standard (google it)....Home Depot, Loews, Fry's or Compusa sell everything you need like the bulk cable, wall plates, RJ45 jacks and patch cords.

Why T568B? T568A works just as well

As for references for bulk cable, wall plates, jacks, patch cords, etc -- 2 more places to add to the list: monoprice.com (my favorite if ordering online -- price can't be beat) or Tiger Direct (I guess CompUSA and Tiger are the same now - my local store was a Tiger Direct, rebranded to CompUSA a year or two ago, and has branded back to Tiger Direct again)

Insulated staples designed for Cat 5E/6 are just fine -- but I agree, metal staples are not so good

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Springbok
said by Springbok:

said by MartyDavis:

LOL, I know exactly what you mean, I think my car can find the way to the store in Irving without me. For quick trips I also like the Compusa aka Tigerdirect store here on 121 and Glade in Euless.

You still have Compusa brick & mortar stores where you live? Man, I miss those. Spent a lot of time - and according to my wife, way too much $$$ - in Compusa stores during my formative PC years.

manshow

join:2013-01-23
Washington, DC
reply to MartyDavis
said by MartyDavis:

After FiOS was installed (we were in the first beta-test group in Keller), I noticed that the CAT5 cable running up the exterior wall was stapled and bent rather severely. The service works, so perhaps I shouldn't complain, but everything I've read concerning the running of UTP cable always warns against sharp radius bends and using staples.

Would it be worth it to replace the original CAT5 with a newly installed one that adheres to installation standards? If I'm paying for bandwidth I certainly want to get all of it.

if it works leave it alone. did u proof out in any way your not getting any bandwith your paying for?

fieroloki

join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX
reply to ILpt4U
B side is the industry standard. Either will work. But can make for a headache if someone eve comes behind to work on it (like I did at my fiancee's place)

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL
B is what I use for almost everything except in very specific instances when I know the line will only be used for an analog phone installation (fax lines) in which case i wire that one terminal up for A so the color coding is all correct for the different pairs for phones.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
reply to fieroloki
AT&T taught me to use A - but most non-ATT work I've seen is B

No idea what Verizon teaches

Long and the short, as long as you are consistent on both sides, either works

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Just FYI: I pre-wired my house before having FiOS installed and used T568A but left the wire at the ONT bare. The technician said he was only "allowed" to wire it as T568B and made me change the wiring at the punch down on the other side of the cable.

So it seems like Verizon uses the B standard. Would be a good idea to stick with that at least on the wiring to the ONT to avoid future problems.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!