dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
cathyy
join:2000-11-30

cathyy

WOW infrastructure improvements

Thanks to a wonderful service tech, I know why WOW, formerly Broadstripe, is so horrible in Hastings, Mi. There are 4, count them, 4 nodes. Serving 2000 customers. Allegedly they want to have 16 nodes for this many customers. So, WOW Dan, can you give me any clues about how many more years it will take before we get decent service?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by cathyy:

Thanks to a wonderful service tech, I know why WOW, formerly Broadstripe, is so horrible in Hastings, Mi. There are 4, count them, 4 nodes. Serving 2000 customers. Allegedly they want to have 16 nodes for this many customers. So, WOW Dan, can you give me any clues about how many more years it will take before we get decent service?

I can assure you that information is not accurate. There are no cities with only 4 nodes servicing 2000 customers, or even 1000 customers. Not knowing where you live, I can't give a specific number, but it's nowhere near what you were told.

From what I understand, they're working extremely hard with getting central Michigan built out by the end of the year, but I'm not sure where that project is.

My group has also been working on adding bandwidth for a few months, and since the beginning of 2013, we've increased bandwidth by 2-3x what it was, and more upgrades will be done this year. These projects can't just get done overnight. Everything has to be tested and re-tested to ensure stability, and upgrading equipment and building out new nodes takes time to do correctly.