how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joe94553

@pacbell.net
reply to wsanders

Re: Is Comcast dropping local HD channels in "open QAM"

I had the exact same problem. I had schedule shows on 5.1 to be recorded through my TiVo – and when I checked – the TiVo said it here wasn’t a signal on the 5.1 channel. I decided to check a connection direct to my digital TV – the TV could no longer receive local channel 5.1

I did a rescan on my TiVo HD and it added some new channels and duplicated a few like 7.1, 7.2. 7.3 Then I deleted the OLD TiVo Channel 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and selected the new – I was able to see all the 7.x channels again. However I found I still could not get 5.1 or 2.1 – but could get 202.1 (fox) 205.1 (cbs)

I also did a rescan on my HDTV; I was able to see all the 7.x channels again. – It still could not get 5.1 but got 205.1 for CBS, and 202.1 (fox) – I guess you just have to hunt through the QAM channels till you find what you want.

I think COMCAST is pretty bad making this sort of change to paid subscribers without publishing the new QAM Lineup channels. There is a law that requires cable companies to include Local HD TV Channels as unencrypted channels – or also known as QAM Channels – I guess switching these channels without notice is COMCAST way of playing with their Basic Cable subscribers – if they keep that up, maybe the can make the number 1 most hated company – I believe they are already in the top 5

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

Unfortunately, Comcast's FCC waiver lets them encrypt everything including the rebroadcasts of locals.

»blogs.seattletimes.com/brierdudl···-locals/

And Comcast has never officially supported clear QAM, they've never provided proper (or consistent) channel tables, etc. It's always been a "you can try clear QAM with no guarantees" sort of thing.

joe94553

@pacbell.net

Well if that's true, I cant stop them encrypting all QAM - but the minute they do that - then, they cant stop me from dropping cable altogether - and that is exactly what I would do - drop my cable subscription - these games COMCAST plays are petty for a company its size - blocking local QAM channels, or switching the QAM Local channel numbers, are all part of those petty games.. And why would they stoop so low - they do it because they can .. sooner or later that game plan will fall apart ...

There are plenty alternatives these days for basic TV service -- HuluPlus - though owned by Networks and Comcast - they have to follow rules - and if they figure out a way around the rules, there is always FREE Over the Air TV - HDTV antennas are getting better every year, and somehow they get around that, there is always Netflix making more and more of their own content, and now Amazon has started making its own TV pilots.

Maybe COMCAST should stop being so greedy, and stop treating their customers like crap because they feel they can get away with it - as they say - "what goes around comes around" .. I believe in the not so distant future, they wont always have the monopoly they have now.

rico

@comcast.net
reply to joe94553

said by joe94553 :

I had the exact same problem. I had schedule shows on 5.1 to be recorded through my TiVo – and when I checked – the TiVo said it here wasn’t a signal on the 5.1 channel. I decided to check a connection direct to my digital TV – the TV could no longer receive local channel 5.1

I did a rescan on my TiVo HD and it added some new channels and duplicated a few like 7.1, 7.2. 7.3 Then I deleted the OLD TiVo Channel 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and selected the new – I was able to see all the 7.x channels again. However I found I still could not get 5.1 or 2.1 – but could get 202.1 (fox) 205.1 (cbs)

I also did a rescan on my HDTV; I was able to see all the 7.x channels again. – It still could not get 5.1 but got 205.1 for CBS, and 202.1 (fox) – I guess you just have to hunt through the QAM channels till you find what you want.

I think COMCAST is pretty bad making this sort of change to paid subscribers without publishing the new QAM Lineup channels. There is a law that requires cable companies to include Local HD TV Channels as unencrypted channels – or also known as QAM Channels – I guess switching these channels without notice is COMCAST way of playing with their Basic Cable subscribers – if they keep that up, maybe the can make the number 1 most hated company – I believe they are already in the top 5

There is not law like that. COmcast does not have to give you HD Local channels in clear QAM,

mariod

join:2009-06-16
reply to joe94553

said by joe94553 :

there is always FREE Over the Air TV - HDTV antennas are getting better every year, and somehow they get around that

Actually Fox and other networks are now threatening to kill OTA transmissions.

joe94553

@pacbell.net
reply to rico

Actually there was a law until the cable companies complained to the FCC and got a ruling late last year in 2012 to get around it -- and "give" is the wrong word - when the law was in affect, you still had to be at least a paid basic subscriber to get unencrypted Local channels on the QAM lineup

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

said by joe94553 :

Actually there was a law until the cable companies complained to the FCC and got a ruling late last year in 2012 to get around it -- and "give" is the wrong word - when the law was in affect, you still had to be at least a paid basic subscriber to get unencrypted Local channels on the QAM lineup

Technically the FCC can't make law, just regulations.

joe94553

@pacbell.net
reply to mariod

I am quite aware of that possibility - but from a survey from last year - there were 54 million people who view TV through over the air antennas - so doing that would force them to pay for a service they were getting for free ---

And as I said above in another comment - there are other alternatives other than selling your soul to the greedy cable providers - there is Netflix and Amazon producing their own content - you don't need a cable company for that..

Also, TV is not like it used to be years ago when it was the main form of entertainment in the home - today there are video games, Blu-ray players, Facebook, Twitter, IPhones, IPads, IPods, tablets, laptops, the internet, etc... With all those alternatives - the cable companies may continue to ignore them and keep irritating customers - but those customers will have places other than TV to go for entertainment - it's happening now and with technology changing everyday - the list of alternative entertainment to Cable TV is growing