Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ChappyHappy

join:2011-04-25
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit

Considering TSI and is unsure about a few things.

We just got an extra $40 in overages with Robbers last month and probably like another $20 this month. I was looking at TSI, Ebox, Start, and Odynet (Acanac/Distributel only worth if we pay 12months at once) since the value of Robbers is affecting us now.
Since my parents pay for the internet, it would look really bad if I convince them to switch and it ends up costing more and with similar problems. So please excuse me if I ask too many basic questions.
We're currently on the Express plan (10/0.5 with 60gb) with Robbers paying $52+tax. After comparing the indies, TSI is probably the most suitable as it gives me 150gb more than the others and I dont believe we'll require more than DSL 15/1 or Cable 25/2.
I am a bit on the fence between DSL and Cable though. I know DSL is more stable, but if I'm far from the CO, I'll be stable at lower speeds. With cable, I'd get higher speeds if no one else is using cable. I dont think that's an issue cause I am currently constantly getting 10Mbps/512kbps right now with Robbers. It's just that it costs $7 more and I really only need 10Mbps (2 people streaming 720p). So it'll really depend on the DSL speed.

- We currently have a home phone with Bhell, is there going to be a dry-loop fee even if it's with another company other than TSI?
- How do I check my distance from a CO? I used teleco data and it seems like my distance is either 11,150feet (street address) or 33,000feet (lat/long). I used 416-609.
- Is that distance ok for 15/1?
- How is the ping with DSL? My ping with Rogers is around 20-150.
- Since we're already with Rogers, if we get the Cable 25/2 is there still going to be an activation fee?
- How many fees are there going to be initially? Activation fee? Install fee?
- Is there a tech troubleshoot fee when a tech is dispatched? Cause it's free with Rogers (cause their monthly plans costs more)
- Instead of spending $85 (or $110) for a modem, what is the rental rate?
- What is this ATPIA thing I see on some threads?
- How's the reliability with TSI? DSL and Cable? Cause we randomly lose internet/tv with Rogers once every few months.
- What's the expected downtime with no internet when we're switching over?

Thanks

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
- If you have home phone with Bell, you won't incur any dry loop charges for DSL services with TSI (or any other third-party provider)

- Not sure on CO distance, from my knowledge best way to find out is if you already had DSL service. For 15/1 service though, if Bell qualifies you, there's a Remote SLAM in your area much closer than a CO, so now worries there really.

- (Same as above, if you qualify for 15/1, you're good to go)

- Your ping with Rogers should be quite stable, I know mine was when I was on Rogers (it was actually better than with TSI) and its pretty stable through TSI on Rogers coax right now. Might be other things causing the spike ping, but generally FTTN DSL service gives you better ping than cable internet services.

- Unfortunately, yes if you switch from Rogers to TSI there will be an activation charge. Idk if maybe you can ask for someone to push on Rogers to waive it. But a tech coming to your home is a good way to guarantee your service gets up and running.

- Activation/Install fee are the same, for FTTN DSL (7/1, 10/1, 15/1, 15/10, 25/10 & 50/10) its $50, for cable services it's $65. Then there's modems.

- If Bell ever needs to visit your home again and they say the problem is inside wiring, they will charge to repair the problem inside. With Rogers, if they go and find a problem no charge, but if they find out there's nothing wrong with the coax outside and inside, you may get charged (there policy is to charge if they find nothing wrong).

- For ADSL2+ (7/1, 10/1, 15/1) theres no modem rental, you can purchase a modem from TSI (I think its $75) or you can pick one up for as cheap as $20 from Canada Computers. For VDSL2 services (15/10, 25/10 & 50/10) you can either rent a Bell supplied modem for $8/month or buy the same one for $130. For cable, no rent option (TSI is working on rent to own for cable & VDSL2 modems), I'd recommend you buy the on TSI sells for $99 with 1 year warranty.

- ATPIA is Aggregated Third Party Internet Access, its term for third party cable ISPs. Rogers before had scatterd POIs (Points of Interconnect) across Ontario that that a TPIA would hook into. TSI's is being migrated to a aggregated POI (1 point of entry into Rogers) in Toronto.

- Reliability with TSI is for the most part going to be the same as if you had services with Bell & Rogers. Rogers does maintenance at night sometimes 2-3am, you'll lose maybe 30min of service. Bell's DSL stuff rarely goes out, its usually human error that can will cause something. TSI's had a few bumps with some some people (not everyone) having issues with streaming content but I believe they have fixed recently for the most part.

- From cable to cable switch, you will probably see half a day to a day of downtime for Rogers do deprovision their modem and provision the new one youre going to use with TSI. If you go the DSL route, you can have the cancellation date for Rogers a week or two after your activation with TSI DSL to have some wiggle room and not have any downtime for internet.

If you qualify for 15/1 DSL service in your area, I would go with that, it's cheaper for 300GB and unlimited than 25/2 cable.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
reply to ChappyHappy
Thank you TypeS. Just to clarify a few points:

said by TypeS:

- Unfortunately, yes if you switch from Rogers to TSI there will be an activation charge. Idk if maybe you can ask for someone to push on Rogers to waive it. But a tech coming to your home is a good way to guarantee your service gets up and running.

Yes, the activation fee will still apply. However if you are already with Rogers than we will place the order as a transfer to be activated the same day your Rogers Internet is cancelled (if the order is placed early enough - at least 12 days before your cancellation date with Rogers). No technician will be coming out to complete the transfer.

- If Bell ever needs to visit your home again and they say the problem is inside wiring, they will charge to repair the problem inside. With Rogers, if they go and find a problem no charge, but if they find out there's nothing wrong with the coax outside and inside, you may get charged (there policy is to charge if they find nothing wrong).

There are no fees involved with trouble tickets/dispatch with Cable service. With DSL it is a possible charge. I have seen it charged of course, but I've also seen many tickets where Bell finds nothing wrong on their end and does not apply it. Also, this charge is possible even without a dispatch, if through remote testing they are able to determine the issue is not on their end this charge may be applied. Lastly, this charge is for diagnostics. If the issue is internal they may apple this charge and they may not, either way they will NOT fix the internal issue.

- For ADSL2+ (7/1, 10/1, 15/1) theres no modem rental, you can purchase a modem from TSI (I think its $75) or you can pick one up for as cheap as $20 from Canada Computers. For VDSL2 services (15/10, 25/10 & 50/10) you can either rent a Bell supplied modem for $8/month or buy the same one for $130. For cable, no rent option (TSI is working on rent to own for cable & VDSL2 modems), I'd recommend you buy the on TSI sells for $99 with 1 year warranty.

There is no longer a rental fee for new customers. 15/10, 25, and 50 require the purchase of the Sagemcom for $130. Currently we do not rent equipment for any service.

- ATPIA is Aggregated Third Party Internet Access, its term for third party cable ISPs. Rogers before had scatterd POIs (Points of Interconnect) across Ontario that that a TPIA would hook into. TSI's is being migrated to a aggregated POI (1 point of entry into Rogers) in Toronto.

This is correct and we are migrating over on area at a time. Estimated to all be aggregated by August. Being aggregated gives access to new packages.

If your area is not yet aggregated your options are:
6/256Kb, 18/0.5, 28/1

If you're already on aggregated (or when the change happens in your area) the following will be available.
6/256Kb, 25/2, 35/3, 45/4, 150/10

I hope this all helps, let us know if you have any further questions.
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

ChappyHappy

reply to ChappyHappy
I can just get any modem from BestBuy? I thought it may not work?
What are the modem requirements for 15/1?
How about for 15/10 and 25/10 (in case I want more upload later)?

Thanks!

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10
For Cable, you can use any of the DOCSIS3 modems listed as approved so long as they have the right firmware.

Motorola SB6120 - 1.0.6.1
Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.1
SMC D3GN-RES - 1.4.0.40-RES
Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16
Technicolor DCM476 STAC.02.50 HW Ver 2.0
Technicolor DCM476 STAC.02.50 HW Ver 2.1
Huawei MT130U V100R001C01B071 HW Ver 1A

For DSL, anything up to 15/1 you can use any ADSL2+ compatible modem. For 15/10, 25/10, 50/10, you have to buy the Sagemcom from TekSavvy at the moment for $130.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
reply to TSI Keith
Ohh, you can't rent the Sagemcoms anymore? Didn't know that.

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5
Yeah. The rental has been abolished and at the moment the only option for a new ON/QC customer getting VDSL would be to purchase the Sagemcom from us.
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Start doesn't charge dry loop fees. Also has no activation charge. Cons: Slightly lower usage caps.

ChappyHappy

Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to ChappyHappy
I forgot to ask.
If the connection becomes wonky, TSI sends a TSI tech, that's free? Or will it be a Rogers/Bell tech?
How much is that fee? I'm assume it's each time even though it's the same problem and they come 3 days in a row?

Thanks!

@geo - Yea, the lower caps might be a concern since I'm not exactly sure how our usage would be after getting faster speeds and higher limits.

evil_gusgus

join:2008-04-14
London, ON
said by ChappyHappy:

I forgot to ask.
If the connection becomes wonky, TSI sends a TSI tech, that's free? Or will it be a Rogers/Bell tech?
How much is that fee? I'm assume it's each time even though it's the same problem and they come 3 days in a row?

If you have a problem on DSL/Cable, you will get either a Bell or Rogers tech depending on what service you have. As long as there is a problem (excluding internal wiring), you should not get charged.

Personally, I'd go with cable since you already have Rogers and buy a modem from TSI and save $20 off activation. Also for cable, if the POI you're on hasn't been transferred to ATPIA yet, you can get a speed upgrade for $5 when that happens.

ChappyHappy

Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to ChappyHappy
When I cancel Rogers internet, how should I give the cancellation notice?
On the Rogers statement, it says Jan 29 - Feb 28, Mar 29-Apr 28. When should I call to minimize the stupid 30days extra charges when I'm not hooked up (like wireless does). I call on the 27, 28, or 29?

Thanks!

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

2 edits
rogers only does a min of 30 day cancelation from whenever u call, doesn't matter what your statement date is
eg: if you have a 1st to the 30th day monthly bill and u call on the 15th day, you account/service will be cancelled on the next month on the 15th day and your bill will be prorated for the 15 days

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
it's 30 days for Rogers, however it gets cancelled right away when you return your equipment.

vincom

Bolton, ON
they told me on the phone that its their terms of service,, are you sure about that, if so they screwed me for an extra month

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to ChappyHappy
The 30 days no longer applies, they dropped that requirement.

vincom

Bolton, ON
when exactly, I just cancelled them last month

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The 30 days no longer applies, they dropped that requirement.

Yes... when did they drop that requirement?

blaznazn224

join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON
reply to ChappyHappy
while I think teksavvy is a great service, and better value than rogers, you might get a better deal if you cancel rogers then call back rogers retentions. You will still be paying more per month than teksavvy customers, but it will be a small difference which is more than made up for by the better speed. Rogers will also give you more capacity than what you're getting now, around 250gb/month. The price of this deal should be $45/month. If they don't give it to you then cancel and come over to teksavvy. The problem with teksavvy isnt the speed/capacity but the high startup cost, the modem plus activation. Its not really their fault since Rogers/bell are handicapping them.

vincom

Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
I thought it was 200gb/month for 45/4
I cancelled my unlimited w/them for 25/2 and was paying 72 +tx for 6mnth price discount, was supposed to be 66+tx but they say that's not possible, all they offered me was a 12mnth discount and didn't offer me amything else, I have no other services w/robbers
yes startup is high but on tsi's 25/2 300gb/mnth im paying 40, the diff will more than pay for my startup costs within a few mnths, amd I don't have to do the rogers dance in getting a discount/deal