Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rico

@comcast.net
reply to joe94553

Re: Is Comcast dropping local HD channels in "open QAM"

said by joe94553 :

I had the exact same problem. I had schedule shows on 5.1 to be recorded through my TiVo – and when I checked – the TiVo said it here wasn’t a signal on the 5.1 channel. I decided to check a connection direct to my digital TV – the TV could no longer receive local channel 5.1

I did a rescan on my TiVo HD and it added some new channels and duplicated a few like 7.1, 7.2. 7.3 Then I deleted the OLD TiVo Channel 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and selected the new – I was able to see all the 7.x channels again. However I found I still could not get 5.1 or 2.1 – but could get 202.1 (fox) 205.1 (cbs)

I also did a rescan on my HDTV; I was able to see all the 7.x channels again. – It still could not get 5.1 but got 205.1 for CBS, and 202.1 (fox) – I guess you just have to hunt through the QAM channels till you find what you want.

I think COMCAST is pretty bad making this sort of change to paid subscribers without publishing the new QAM Lineup channels. There is a law that requires cable companies to include Local HD TV Channels as unencrypted channels – or also known as QAM Channels – I guess switching these channels without notice is COMCAST way of playing with their Basic Cable subscribers – if they keep that up, maybe the can make the number 1 most hated company – I believe they are already in the top 5

There is not law like that. COmcast does not have to give you HD Local channels in clear QAM,

joe94553

@pacbell.net
Actually there was a law until the cable companies complained to the FCC and got a ruling late last year in 2012 to get around it -- and "give" is the wrong word - when the law was in affect, you still had to be at least a paid basic subscriber to get unencrypted Local channels on the QAM lineup

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
said by joe94553 :

Actually there was a law until the cable companies complained to the FCC and got a ruling late last year in 2012 to get around it -- and "give" is the wrong word - when the law was in affect, you still had to be at least a paid basic subscriber to get unencrypted Local channels on the QAM lineup

Technically the FCC can't make law, just regulations.