uniqs

joepwpb
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

[WIN7] Win 7 Image Not Found

I created a system image to an external and immediately upon completion I tried to see it in the Restore function but it failed to do so. I disconnected and reconnected the drive, rebooted and even tried in Safe Mode and it will not see the image on that external drive.

Are there any tweaks or settings I am missing?

Thanks

Joe P
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

Can you see the restore image in windows or is it normally hidden?

Asking because I don't use the Windows imaging program. True Image has worked so well for so many years I decided to stick with that even after Windows 7 came out.

Seagate and Western Digital both have free imaging versions on their websites for download. Those work with Seagate and WDC drives respectively. I recommend using those as additional backup images even if you are also doing windows images.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to joepwpb

Premium Member

to joepwpb
Are you looking from within Windows or from the recovery tool?

Are you using usb3?
»www.sevenforums.com/back ··· ive.html

Have you dumped the image into a folder or is it in the root of the HDD?

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

1 recommendation

joepwpb

Premium Member

The images are on external drives and one of the drives I tried is 3.0 the other 2.0. The image is in the folder that Windows creates when the image is created, "WindowsImageBackup" and finally I am looking from within Windows. To reiterate, I tried to look at the image immediately following its creation and it was not seen.

Thanks,

Joe P

On a side note, I have used Acronis since 9.0, with all of its quirks, and just this day I tried AOMEI Backupper and cannot believe the superiority of that software which is Free.

»www.aomeitech.com/

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

USB3.0 you will have to read up on the link above.

If the folder is in the root of the directory then when using the recovery console it will be listed and they are hidden folders in default windows. For a little more info see this tutorial link:
»www.sevenforums.com/tuto ··· ery.html

If you want to save multiple copies renamed on an external drive, then copy/paste the one you want as most recent for the job back to the root of the drive with the correct folder naming.

It isn't as good as some third party options but certainly good enough for the basics, except for USB3.0 of course, it wasn't out when Win 7 was implemented.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to joepwpb

Premium Member

to joepwpb
Thanks for the link to your backup program of choice. Looks interesting.

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
Click for full size
Click for full size
There is an important detail that is being overlooked from my previous posts and that is "immediately upon completion of the image creation the image was not detected". I did not disconnect the drive or close the window I went directly to the main window (scrn shot 1) I then went to Recovery > Advanced Recovery Options in Control Panel and no backups were detected (scrn shot 2). So, the issue of USB 3.0 is not relevant at this point. (I am aware of that issue running from the recovery Tool)

As previously stated, I tried this with two different external drives and verified that the image was in the root of the drive with the same results.

Any other ideas please.

Joe P

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

From what I see, you are looking for back up folders to restore from with that window, not looking for an image to back up from.
That is a user profile file backup not a system wide disk image to restore from.
2 totally different things.

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

From what I see, you are looking for back up folders to restore from with that window, not looking for an image to back up from.
That is a user profile file backup not a system wide disk image to restore from.
2 totally different things.

Why would I not be able to"see" the image I just created in the first screen shot? Where would I be able to see those images to ensure that if I attempt to use one to recover the system I will know that it works?

Joe P

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

From the recovery console window.

As per the sevenforums tutorial link I posted about here -»Re: [WIN7] Win 7 Image Not Found

Edit:
Try this location from within Windows

Control Panel|Recovery|Advanced Recovery methods|Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

From the recovery console window.

As per the sevenforums tutorial link I posted about here -»Re: [WIN7] Win 7 Image Not Found

Your link is the same as the following:

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· e-backup

To restore using the Recovery Control Panel (recommended)

If your computer is still working and you can access Control Panel, or if you want to restore your system image backup onto a different computer, follow these steps:

1. Open Recovery by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type recovery, and then click Recovery.

2. Click Advanced recovery methods.

3. Click Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer, and then follow the steps.

Once I choose "use a system image" I get the results in my second screen shot which indicates that Windows could not find any backups. Which again raises the question as to how to view an image after its creation.

Joe P

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

3 edits

norwegian

Premium Member

I've just edited my link above, please use the location specified in the end of my edited post from within Windows O/S.

Edit:
Within Windows needs to be on the root of a drive by default, in other words, the C: drive in this case - although this would have trouble working and I've never tried it, in fact it should default to the DVD drive for looking for a WindowsImageBackup to restore from.
From the recovery console you have more locations, external drives, network locations etc.

It would be easier by phone or in person to explain some days.

joepwpb
Premium Member
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

norwegian See Profile]

OK, I got it...I discovered where my misunderstanding is. I thought that once I completed an image I would be able to "see" that image in Windows Control Panel, which is not the case. The image would not be seen until I would proceed with the Recovery process and allow a reboot to the Recovery routine which is where I would see the image, barring any USB issues. I discovered this in Step 2 E thru H of the link you posted.

So, the bottom line is, a User would not know if the image they just created would be seen or would be valid until the crisis hits and they find themselves booted into the recovery routine. That's not a good thing which is why I was so elated with Backupper rather than Windows or Acronis.

Thanks

Joe P

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

It's probably one of the serious side affects of Windows backup image.

Even Windows DVD, ISO etc all allow validation of the image they create, but the back up feature seems to miss it all together.
A little practice will help, but even that will not keep you out of trouble in that sense i'm afraid.
A bad set of DVD's or a bad image creation will really leave you short.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to joepwpb

Premium Member

to joepwpb
I far prefer using Macrium Reflect for backups. It will let you backup an entire image, yet you can also mount the image file as a drive and copy single or multiple files from it. The paid version has even more features but you can get the free version from »www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx