spc
uniqs

TSI Keith
Premium Member
join:2012-07-09

TSI Keith to ChappyHappy

Premium Member

to ChappyHappy

Re: Considering TSI and is unsure about a few things.

Thank you TypeS. Just to clarify a few points:
said by TypeS:

- Unfortunately, yes if you switch from Rogers to TSI there will be an activation charge. Idk if maybe you can ask for someone to push on Rogers to waive it. But a tech coming to your home is a good way to guarantee your service gets up and running.

Yes, the activation fee will still apply. However if you are already with Rogers than we will place the order as a transfer to be activated the same day your Rogers Internet is cancelled (if the order is placed early enough - at least 12 days before your cancellation date with Rogers). No technician will be coming out to complete the transfer.

- If Bell ever needs to visit your home again and they say the problem is inside wiring, they will charge to repair the problem inside. With Rogers, if they go and find a problem no charge, but if they find out there's nothing wrong with the coax outside and inside, you may get charged (there policy is to charge if they find nothing wrong).

There are no fees involved with trouble tickets/dispatch with Cable service. With DSL it is a possible charge. I have seen it charged of course, but I've also seen many tickets where Bell finds nothing wrong on their end and does not apply it. Also, this charge is possible even without a dispatch, if through remote testing they are able to determine the issue is not on their end this charge may be applied. Lastly, this charge is for diagnostics. If the issue is internal they may apple this charge and they may not, either way they will NOT fix the internal issue.

- For ADSL2+ (7/1, 10/1, 15/1) theres no modem rental, you can purchase a modem from TSI (I think its $75) or you can pick one up for as cheap as $20 from Canada Computers. For VDSL2 services (15/10, 25/10 & 50/10) you can either rent a Bell supplied modem for $8/month or buy the same one for $130. For cable, no rent option (TSI is working on rent to own for cable & VDSL2 modems), I'd recommend you buy the on TSI sells for $99 with 1 year warranty.

There is no longer a rental fee for new customers. 15/10, 25, and 50 require the purchase of the Sagemcom for $130. Currently we do not rent equipment for any service.

- ATPIA is Aggregated Third Party Internet Access, its term for third party cable ISPs. Rogers before had scatterd POIs (Points of Interconnect) across Ontario that that a TPIA would hook into. TSI's is being migrated to a aggregated POI (1 point of entry into Rogers) in Toronto.

This is correct and we are migrating over on area at a time. Estimated to all be aggregated by August. Being aggregated gives access to new packages.

If your area is not yet aggregated your options are:
6/256Kb, 18/0.5, 28/1

If you're already on aggregated (or when the change happens in your area) the following will be available.
6/256Kb, 25/2, 35/3, 45/4, 150/10

I hope this all helps, let us know if you have any further questions.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Ohh, you can't rent the Sagemcoms anymore? Didn't know that.

TSI Keith
Premium Member
join:2012-07-09

TSI Keith

Premium Member

Yeah. The rental has been abolished and at the moment the only option for a new ON/QC customer getting VDSL would be to purchase the Sagemcom from us.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

Start doesn't charge dry loop fees. Also has no activation charge. Cons: Slightly lower usage caps.