Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to alkizmo

Re: Crown molding - Baseboard - Trim - Ceiling white or other?

Does this seem upside down or is it correct?

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

Doesn't matter it has the same profile on both ends.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

actually the profile isn't identical, but anyway I just went with what's in the picture.

Man, installing crown molding is a real puzzle! Figuring out the miter and bevel angles, learning coping, I'm still scratching my head on my first exterior corner, I followed the miter and bevel angles, but it doesn't work well (Yet my corner is 89 degrees, so pretty darn close).

I can't wait to bring in Einstein in to figure out a corner where 3 crown moldings join up!

no tips here

@videotron.ca

Crown moulding certainly is a level up in the do it yourself category. That is, doing it right and making it look great.

I know people who will do all their drywall and build up a place from scratch, but won't touch the crown moulding and instead call someone in due to the price of it and the learning curve of doing it right.

I've also seen some great books on it. Step-by-step type things the size of encyclopedias loaded with great tips.

Wouldn't hurt to stop in at the local library to see what they have on hand.

Crown moulding is your eye-candy. You really want that looking good. But if you're going to do it yourself, best plan on wasting lots for the learning processes and no harm done grabbing a couple of books on it.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

1 edit
reply to alkizmo

Search for coping crown molding dremel if you have not done so.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to no tips here

said by no tips here :

But if you're going to do it yourself, best plan on wasting lots for the learning processes and no harm done grabbing a couple of books on it.

I've done my whole basement from scratch so far. I think I can DIY crown moldings

said by StillLearn:

Search for coping crown molding dreme>/b> if you have not done so.

No need, I can cope with a coping saw no problem.

no tips here

@videotron.ca

said by alkizmo:

said by no tips here :

But if you're going to do it yourself, best plan on wasting lots for the learning processes and no harm done grabbing a couple of books on it.

I've done my whole basement from scratch so far. I think I can DIY crown moldings

Just saying, it's a craft on it's own. That's all.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

It's really not that hard once you get the angle of the cuts right and learn to flip the crown. Coping is pretty easy as well once you do a piece or two.

Yeah, you waste some, but I don't think lots.
--
Really, Obammy? 18% tax rate and you criticised Romney??? Jackass.