how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nordy

join:2007-10-20
kudos:1

[crt/lcd] Laptops screen is black but I see things under bright

The screen on my acer laptop went black and wont turn on anymore. Windows loads fine. I hear all the start up sounds and all the lights on the laptop turn on. But not the screen.

The funny thing is, I just found out, if I look at things from an angle or if I shine a really bright light on the screen, all my stuff is still there. I can see the wallpaper and files and folders, but its not enough to work.

Does anyone know whats going on here? Can I get thing back to working, or is this the end of the laptop. What can I do?

Thanks

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Re: [crt/lcd] Laptops screen is black but I see things under bri

Most likely the inverter went out.. the inveter's job is to make the DC input into high voltage AC output for the LCD backlight.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to Nordy

Simple answer: the backlight is dead. Time for a new monitor or a new laptop if you cannot get the display replaced. My prior monitor (also Acer but desktop monitor) failed in exactly the same way you described. The screen image was visible if a bright light was shone at it.

You can use a desktop monitor until you get it fixed but you lose the portability.

Nordy

reply to Nordy

So, this isn't something I'll be able to fix. I'm taking the laptop to a technician today. Let's see what he's going to say.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to Nordy

This is a good place for Laptop parts.
I've used them several times without problem. I thought the shipping was a little high but the delivery was fast.

»www.sparepartswarehouse.com/

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
reply to Nordy

Laptop LCD's are really easy to replace... sometimes time consuming depending on brand/model but they are noting to chuck the laptop over unless it is pretty old
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to Nordy

Could be the inverter or the backlight actually. Did the screen have a red hue shortly (or longly hah) before going dim? If not that does point to a backlight issue.

Without knowing your profiency with electronics and/or laptops in general its hard to say whether you could do this. If it's an inverter it's among the easier things to replace in a laptop. If it's a backlight I typically recommend a new LCD panel (also among the easier things to replace).

The backlights are typically a pain in the kiester and are extremely fragile to touch (finger grease), sensitivity (press too hard or in the wrong location and it's dead), and static discharge. They are easy, physically, to replace but the hassle of the operation often isn't worth it. Many repair shops refuse to repair backlights and instead quote new LCD panels when the backlight is the diagnosis.

Nordy

It worked normally. No hue etc. I shut it down. When I turned it on again... gone! I've handed it to a local repair show. Let see what the guy say.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to Nordy

said by Nordy:

So, this isn't something I'll be able to fix. I'm taking the laptop to a technician today. Let's see what he's going to say.

What did the technician say? They do that repair here for $200 parts and labor.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.