dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
« Copper clad steel VS pure copper coaxMy Cable Problems »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 42 · 43 · 44 · 45 · 46 · 47 · 48 ... 197 · 198 · 199 · next

ledsoundsys
@twtelecom.net

ledsoundsys to Jed1

Anon

to Jed1

Re: Service Electric Cablevision News

So what exactly was done in Tamaqua? Nothing as usual? I reached a new low of .9mb/down last night which was cool.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
said by Jed1:

I wonder if there actually is an "engineering team" at SECV.

I've often wondered how much is outsourced. They outsource the Internet to PTD.net so who says that infrastructure, engineering or even the Motorola DAC isn't outsourced or colo'd somewhere else? Arris has a hosted DAC called NAS-RAC. Not sure if they use this in the service bureau model, or if they run this type of equipment themselves.

Heck their website is hosted by strategic solutions.
»whois.arin.net/rest/net/ ··· -0-1/pft
»www.strategic-solutions.com/
gutch
join:2003-01-16
USA

gutch to ledsoundsys

to ledsoundsys
It looks like nothing was done, but there are two more tickets placed for next week for Tamaqua.
Jed1
join:2012-01-14
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to ledsoundsys

to ledsoundsys
Just general maintenance. They performed this between 2 AM and 6 AM this morning. This work will not improve internet issues.
If you are having issues then use this speed test and then follow the instructions below the test and click on the Technical Support link and call the 800 # and select technical support. They will forward any tests they have you perform back to SECV.
This is the speed test:
»www.ptd.net/help-desk/in ··· eed-test
These are the tickets opened for the entire system of Service Electric and Blue Ridge Cable:
»www.engr.ptd.net/ticket/ ··· view.cgi
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I think a lot of technical stuff is contracted out. I think Cable Services does a lot of this work for them. The only issue is they do not have someone here full time so if issues arise then they have to schedule someone to come here and remedy the problem. I believe this is why this issue with the internet is not progressing rapidly.
Jed1

Jed1 to gutch

to gutch
According to the status the work is completed and is waiting on results.
»www.engr.ptd.net/ticket/ ··· resh=yes

The next two tickets are for next week. On Tuesday it will be at Bears Head and then on Wednesday it will be for the Delano Hub.
I think this work is to move the Tamaqua customers out of Bears Head and into the Hazleton system. Probably it will be no change for the internet issues.

ledsoundsys
@ptd.net

ledsoundsys

Anon

Well I got home from work, at 6:30pm I'm getting 28.5/1.9 with a QoS for 99% in Tamaqua. Maybe they fixed the issues? Will report back later.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Wow!! QOS of 99%. I haven't seen a level that high since July. When you report back report the max delay number. It should be very low like under 5 milliseconds.
If that number is very low and the rest of your numbers stay that high and stable, it looks like there can be some light appearing at the end of the tunnel.
Also have to wait until Gutch reports in. If his numbers are good then that will be extremely positive.
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1

Re: Service Electric Cablevision Tragedy

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.
1.42 Mbps down
541 Kbps up
QoS 33%
up consist 1%
Max delay 1204 ms

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1

Re: Service Electric Cablevision News

Click for full size
no where near 25 meg down this way either. Upload is always consistent. Its the download that stinks.
cypherstream

cypherstream

MVM

Bypassed the router, went directly to PC, rebooted modem, did 3 tests, one in IE, one in Firefox, one in Chrome. No better.

It's not my router and its not my ethernet cable (system reports 1gbps directly to router or modem).

I sent this info to ptd.net with screen shots of the three tests, modem levels and logs. Something is up and its not RF because levels are excellent. The only RF parameter I can't see is upstream SNR but my upstream is perfect according to the package (if not a small amount more).
I'm getting between 4 and 5 meg down.

ledsoundsys
@ptd.net

ledsoundsys to cypherstream

Anon

to cypherstream
Click for full size
Around 9:15pm. I think they fixed Tamaqua.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Yay Tamaqua!

On the fence if i'm still heading home to Sunbury this weekend due to the potential storm - but if I do i'll report some tests from there.
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

For the ticket regarding the Shamokin / Point Twp core router upgrade that apparently never happened - can anyone list what's in the notes?

Since i'm not on PTD - I can't read them. Curious as to why it's been delayed / postponed / whatever.
zm03
join:2008-04-07
Kunkletown, PA

zm03

Here is the tickets log.

Entry by J. R. on Monday 12/01/2014 10:41
Ticket Opened
Ticket opened on 12/01/2014 at 10:29

Entry by J. R. on Monday 12/08/2014 08:41
History
Waiting to reschedule this upgrade, 12/8/14

Entry by J. R. on Friday 12/12/2014 12:00
History
Rescheduled the mainenance to upgrade switch1.sha to 10Gig for 1/8/14,12/12/14

Entry by J. R. on Friday 12/12/2014 14:04
History
Rescheduled the maintenance to upgrade switch1.sha to 10Gig for 1/8/15,12/12/14

Entry by J. R. on Tuesday 01/06/2015 12:36
History
Upgrade core switch

Entry by J. R. on Thursday 01/08/2015 05:17
History
Maintenance completed. Will have to schedule another outage to finish up the step I couldn't get completed during this maintenance window.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

ZM-
Appreciate it. LOL. They comment their tickets almost like my teams do w/ my job. Sounds like the upgrade went through - and they're just waiting to do some post-work.

A 10Gig switch in Shamokin should most likely handle all of Sunbury's traffic pretty well.

I'll report back tomorrow night with some tests from that area.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to ledsoundsys

to ledsoundsys
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 80990675

My ping times are going up but the speeds is staying the same

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Ptd had me do a few things and some more speed tests. I got between 12 and 19 meg down. They say I need SECV to come out now, even though the signals look good. They guarantee 80% of what you pay for so I should at least get 20mbps consistently on the 25 meg package.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Most likely SECV will swap out your modem with the new SB6183. You can refuse but then they will say we can not fix your problem until we change your modem.
I think they will sell you the new modem for $99.
Most likely this will not fix your problem as this is what I went through back in August. After this you will have to complain to PTD again to possibly get SECV to discount your internet costs.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra

SB6183 works just like my SB6120. But it's white and reminds me of an old telephone. It least the SB6120 looked rugged. I might have 8 channels but only 4 get used. Bright side is that my speed is always under 4 Mbps, so I can call to complain about the missing 20% download speed.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

I just looked at my modem stats and I noticed that I am back to having corrected errors on all downstream channels. I also now have T3 time outs today and yesterday. This is on top of the slow internet speeds.
When will this end?
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
I have corrected errors also. (Time still 9 hours off) I called PTD. They said wait for the maintenance. In other words "life sucks". I am holding at just under 4. That was my rate in Mt Carmel when I paid for 4. My new normal:
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 83626102
Snow time.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

School is out, so right now I am at 11meg.
Snow=people staying in and using internet so expect more speed loss tomorrow.
Still can not figure out why they can't get the time right. This should be a pretty basic thing. This is one of those things that make me believe the SECV really doesn't have any engineers.

If you are interested Amazon is discounting Amazon Prime to $72 tomorrow.
Read this article and click on the link in the last sentence to get the deal. Do this on Saturday as this is when the deal will be on.
»www.highdefdigest.com/ne ··· 24/20727
I am going to sign up tomorrow as I have signed up for the Priority list to get the new TiVo update, which includes Amazon Prime. TiVo better follow through or I will have a major meltdown.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra

Slowing down, as you predicted. Funny: the PTD guy said I should connect to the modem directly. I told him I ran the test with Win7 Task Manager watching. For my link speed of 433 Mbps I was using .75% which is about right for just under 4 Mbps. He dropped the request. BTW, did you see my post on TCF about the Mini causing a 10 to 20% drop in network throughput? Scary to say the least. But there's no such thing as a free lunch. The Mini comes on during the EMS test and stays on when it's over. I guess we're lucky to not need a TA next month. The FCC says that free DTA can stop being free after a year also. Busy day.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
The basic troubleshooting steps they have you do is unplug the modem AND the coaxial cable (not sure why), then they do a lot of typing. After a few minutes of this, they tell you to plug the coaxial cable back in, and then the power cable. Then when it comes up, they do a whole lot of typing. Then they have you run 3 speed tests to their site and give you the speed test id numbers.

Next you basically do the same thing but this time instead of the coaxial cable you replace the Ethernet cable to the router with the one to your PC, effectively bypassing the router. Then it syncs up and you wait until they say so and you do the 3 speed tests again and give them the numbers.

Then they put you on hold to check something (maybe the ticketing system for known outages???) then they come back and ask for your contact information because they will forward that to SECV. They say what likely has to happen is SECV has to look at it and send a tech out.

They said they can see the modem information, they just do not have access to make any changes.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt to Jed1

Premium Member

to Jed1
Click for full size
Sunbury
Well. Sunbury system is A-ok. Wireless test just done.

System is really snappy. Looks like the issue is isolated to specific hubs.

(Lucky me)
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Click for full size
Sb6141
Also, looks like Sunbury might have 16 downstream channels. Impressive.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
This is what I went through also. I think I had to do this about four different times until SECV agreed to discount my internet since they did not know what to do.
I see JeepMatt posted a speed test from Sunbury and it looks pretty good. I do know there was complaints in that division but it looks like they got a handle on it.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
All that emphasis on the downstream and still measly 16QAM in the up. Where's the 6.4 MHz wide 64QAM upstream????

There should be 2 6.4 wide 64QAM and 2 3.2 wide 16QAM for older modems.
gutch
join:2003-01-16
USA

gutch to Jed1

to Jed1
I'm surprised I got 20. I guess everyone is out at the store getting milk and bread for the storm.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 84435804