Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to gutch

Premium Member

to gutch

Sunbury Speed Test

Sunbury - Rural Area
The Sunbury system is definitely bangin!

Hopefully the rest of you guys get fixed up soon w/ these upcoming upgrades.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 16024551

Getting almost 24 down. Not bad for 9:11 am. Snow is on the dish so DirecTV will be out for most of the day. I feel bad for the guy across the street as both his dishes are covered (one is his internet).

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Almost 5" out here in the countryside outside Sunbury... LOVE IT!

Only had an inch back home in Delaware.
Jed1
join:2012-01-14
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
From your posts yesterday and this morning it is pretty safe to say that the issues have been resolved in Sunbury. QOS is very high and Max Delay is very low.
I noticed that the downstream channels are in a different frequency spectrum than in the Mahanoy system. Ours is 8 channels in the 733MHz to 777MHz.
I wonder when they finally moves us out of Bears Head to the Delano Hub if that will change.
I also suspect once the encryption starts they will add 8 more downstream channels as they do have the room for it. There is 8 empty channels right above the current downstream channels here in the Mahanoy system.
Jed1

Jed1 to gutch

to gutch

Re: Service Electric Cablevision News

I actually got to 27 this morning but fell back to 15 a few minutes later. I also had a QOS rating of 88 but it is now back to the new normal 34% range.
I predict that Super Bowl Sunday will be a bad day for us if this problem is not fixed by then.
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
Maybe on 2/1 we all run speed tests to see if PTD notices? I had to reboot this morning at 7am. Perhaps they were playing with things. T3 timeout too.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Click for full size
I might get an SB6183 but not sure. It can do 16 channels. It's $130 online and that's a lot imo. I may want to wait till D3.1 modems come out at the end of the year though. Yeah last frequency scan I did with an SDR app on my PC showed empty space around the 8 current channels. It's only a matter of time.
cypherstream

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1

Re: Sunbury Speed Test

Jed maybe LTE interference is getting into old cracked cables in your area causing the issue. That's in the 700 range.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra

A snow day:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 3202 kbps (400.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 919 kbps (114.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 14 ms
Jitter: 25 ms

Someday.....
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
This is possible, especially along the Morea Road. There is quite a few cell towers out there and a large number of residential homes.
One of the main issues with LTE noise is it can even get into the system through a device in a customers home and back feed into the system. If it is getting in through their coaxial part of the distribution system, It can even get all the way back into the head end at Bears Head.
Jed1

Jed1 to JoeKustra

to JoeKustra
Results from test at 2:30 PM:
7.7 down 1.5 up
QOS 26% UCOS 78%
Max Delay 202ms
This is pretty crappy for this time of day. Weekend, kids home from school, snowy weather which means people staying in and using internet.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream

SECV is showing the purchase price for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem at $99.95.
I wonder if they would sell you one of theirs.
»www.secv.com/cdocs/rate_ ··· irds.pdf
Or just rent one and then buy the 3.1 models when they come out.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to Jed1

Premium Member

to Jed1

Jed-
Yeah - hate to say it - the service here outside Sunbury is flawless. Not sure if that core router upgrade in Shamokin on 1/8 fixed things here.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1

I saw that price, but that doesn't say what modem it is. I can't find a 16 channel modem for under $100. So at $130 that's 26 months to begin recouping the investment (assuming $5 a month rental). In 26 months I would think they'd be up to 16 channels down and maybe in half that (a year from now) thinking about d 3.1.
cypherstream

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Click for full size
Things seem good today. I'll hold off on any modem purchases or rental swap outs.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt

Yeah I agree. I do recall that there was a bunch of maintenance tickets and router and switch upgrade tickets that were open in December for Sunbury.
So this definitely did fix the issue.
SECV is having difficulties moving us out of Bears Head and into the Delano Hub. The whole system was supposed to be done before Christmas but so far the have only managed to get Tamaqua moved. And that did not go smoothly.
Bears Head is going to be junked when they complete the move. I wonder if some of the issues is related to equipment in the old head end that they just don't want to waste money on replacing.
Also the distribution system in the Mahanoy division was left in deplorable shape so this is taking a lot of time to fix. there was a hole in the line across the street from my home that they finally got to replace right before winter started. This did eliminate a lot of my signal issues especially the corrected errors I would get on a regular basis.
I am hoping they can get some head way this week as I fear Super Bowl Sunday is going to see some real heavy internet use.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1

Click for full size
Still only 8 channels in Birdsboro system, but 8 consecutive RF channels are cleared out and ready to go when they want.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Wow! That is really good. I am getting jealous of all these great speed tests.
I don't think there will be an upgrade to 3.1 for a long while as I believe they will stay with the 16 downstream channels. As you have stated, they do have to really improve the upload speeds first.
If you have no issues with your current modem then I don't see the need to upgrade. If so then you should just rent one until the 3.1 modems hit the market.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Yep. that is the same here. I believe 16 downstream channels are right around the corner. I wonder why they use different frequency spectrums in each division?
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Jed1

to Jed1
Maybe that is the trick. I still have a SB5120 docsis 2 modem. Older is better...

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Yeah off the Fleetwood CMTS my dad's SB5120 pulls down 25-30mbps. The strange thing about that modem is the activity LED ALWAYS blinks. That used to be my modem back in the day and one time after a ptd pushed firmware, the activity light just doesn't show an accurate representation of actual activity.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra

I had a SB6120. Steady light but older firmware. It died and I got another with latest firmware. Blue light never stopped blinking. SE didn't want to update the firmware either. Now my SB6183 rejects the firmware update every time I reboot it. Go figure.
gutch
join:2003-01-16
USA

gutch to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Either they fixed something, or everyone is out sleigh riding. /sarcasm

Good results for 8:45 at night.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 86978565
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

I think I broke a new low. 8:57 PM 1/24/2015
774kbps down 1.05 meg up
QOS 5% UCOS 32%
Max Delay 2628ms
If I did not break I came close. I was as low as 155kbps and it moved up to 774kbps when the test ended.
Apparently things are not fixed here.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Sunbury Speed

Click for full size
1 last speed test from another site before I head back today.

Wireless via Macbook Air
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Jed1

to Jed1

Gutch stole your bandwith..
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra

A lot of talk about insanity is doing the same thing over again expecting a different result. I'm either insane or my speed is fixed. EVERY morning for the last two weeks at about 7am I run both speed tests and get 3.85 to 3.95 and a QoS of about 90%. Why do I feel they have me at 4 Mbps service? That's the speed I had when they called it "Bronze" a few years ago. Coincidence? I wonder. It still drops later in the day.
gutch
join:2003-01-16
USA

gutch to Hellrazor

to Hellrazor
I don't think they fixed it. Speed tests were showing 20M+ but I couldn't download anything over 100k/s last night. The files I tried downloading last night are now downloading at 3.2 MB/s.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to Hellrazor

to Hellrazor
That would be a interesting concept. If this goes on any longer we may need to have the police go to SECV looking for the missing bandwidth.
Jed1

Jed1 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt

Re: Sunbury Speed

I remember during the transition they had to get Sunbury and Birdsboro CSRs to help with all the calls. The lady I talked to said she was glad that she did not work in the Hazleton office.
She told me that everybody there was getting frustrated with the volume of calls.
It appears that Sunbury had their issue resolved quickly and again it is a agonizing mess in the Hazleton division.
I can see why John did not want the Mahanoy City division as this place is a disaster and the Hazleton office is getting clobbered with all the issues.