dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
« Copper clad steel VS pure copper coaxMy Cable Problems »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 56 · 57 · 58 · 59 · 60 · 61 · 62 ... 197 · 198 · 199 · next
Jed1
join:2012-01-14
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to Hellrazor

to Hellrazor

Re: Service Electric Cablevision News

Yea. SECV already used this on me about two weeks ago as a few channels would go off for a few minutes in the afternoon. USA HD was one of them.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here is two pictures from 3rd street in Frackville. It looks like the Opti Max 4100 series.
I did not get up to Pine street as those nodes are ready to be switched over. If the weather permits I will take a walk up there and snap some pictures.
»www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· 0_DS.pdf

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

We have those same ones down here... Both of those units are in service. Not sure why they are ordered with the white coating, but they are. The Magnavox and Motorolas are just the galvanized steel look.

Blue ridge has those 4100's too but the non coated housings. I thought the coating was for beach front areas where the salt water air really does a number corroding the gear.
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
Internet having morning sickness today?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Upon closer inspection of the model designation / barcodes on the side that's a 1 GHz node with traditional 42/54 MHz split, and 1X1 optical receiver. Makes sense, they push fiber so deep they only start with one optic for forward and reverse. They can always segment it later.

You can also change the module in it to do higher return split in the future. Good piece of equipment. If the FCC filing is correct, 58 subs average per node, there should be no bandwidth issue at least in the "last mile" if using 8X4 DOCSIS 3 channel bonding. You figure out of 58 subs, how many have internet? Then how many are pulling data to their max at the same time? All of these bandwidth issues must be at the combining in the HE or at the handoff to PTD.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to JoeKustra

to JoeKustra
I think there was an outage somewhere in the system this morning. My QOS is lousy today. It is hovering around 30%.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
SECV is expanding out to 1 Ghz. This is one of the reasons for the encryption as most consumer owned equipment can not tune anything above RF channel 135. Only the series 4 (Premiere) and series 5 (Roamio) TiVos can tune up to RF channel 158 and also support MPEG 4. Some of the tuners used with WMC can also do the same.
This is the reason why SECV will be removing all the older STBs from their system. I also suspect that they may use the low band VHF portion of their bandwidth for upstream use. These new nodes support this.

Once Bears Head is retired SECV can not use the excuse that the old head end is the problem. They also will not be able to blame that the nodes are congested. If this problem persists after all this work then it is either the head end or PTD with the problem.
I already think the issue is on their side but we have to go along with this until this work is done.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Thats interesting. Theres a shit ton of amps and LE's to replace though, and if they are going to upgrade those 860 gear to 1 gig, might as well change the diplex filters while they are in there to allow the return path a larger chunk of spectrum.

SECV is the only company I know that basically upgrades to each MHz they get. We were 550 down here years ago and they upgraded to 750. Then they upgraded to 860, and now your saying they will upgrade yet again to 1 gig? Comcast (then Time Warner) upgraded ONE time from 450 to 750 in the 90's and that's where the plant stays today.

Guess that's the difference between a publicly traded company and a private one. SECV's CAPEX spending does not have to answer to shareholders.

Oh traps are a thing of the past now. They haven't been installing them since encryption and they are slowly in process of removing them when they find them / get to them.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Yes SECV is not under any pressure from uneducated and ignorant share holders who only want a quick return on their investments.
A lot of publicly traded businesses is being undermined by this mentality.

The Mahanoy City system is the first to see this expansion as it is the system that is in the most desperate need of repair.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Well wouldn't Shen Heights have been rebuilt to a gig since they just got finished rewiring?

Down here most the nodes are a gig moto / CCor but they have to replace the 860 Phillips/Magnavox, general instruments ones and then all of the amps / le's.

It will be a big undertaking and an expensive project considering they just finished the 750-860 upgrade in like 2007-2008. Can't see that all of the gear is even written off the books yet. Maybe they will get some value back by selling it.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Not sure why they are ordered with the white coating,

They are planning ahead for global warming. After all of the glaciers melt the beach will be about 1/2 mile from there
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra

I saw an SECV truck on Rt 61 today. I was going to stop and ask the guy if he was lost.
JoeKustra

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
Things have changed. The Palmerton server may be sleeping. There is one ticket on the Palmerton site. I have a new IP address for the Ookla test and based on ping I use FortressITX at Clifton, NJ for the test. Speed is about the same, but it's early.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

My speed is 23.9 / 1.9. It's the 25 meg plan. Close but they obviously don't over provision. If I create guest wifi and I want to limit them to 25 meg, I put in 26 meg as the downstream qos value and it works like a charm.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to JoeKustra

to JoeKustra
SECV+snow+no school=8meg down out of 30 meg at 1:00 PM.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I haven't been through Shenandoah in a while but I would assume that it will be 1Ghz. I think they broke Shen Heights in two separate units, were the out lying areas were hooked into the Hazleton head end and the borough of Shenandoah will be hooked into the Delano Hub.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Jed1

to Jed1
Interesting day for a "grass only" snow...
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Or the classic dusting of snow that results in 6 inches that needs to be shoveled. Oh Yea, spring starts at 6:45 PM today.
It would be great if the kids would get out and shovel this snow instead of sitting inside and dragging down the internet all day.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor

We got hammered pretty good. Was a freaking mess up on the hill between bear creek and fleetwood. Spent a few hours rescuing a school bus and van from unplowed roads. Saw one muni plow truck in a bit over 2 hours.
frankn
join:2013-10-11
Shenandoah, PA

frankn to Jed1

to Jed1
Shen Heights tv is hooked into the Hazleton head as Lost Creek and William Penn are already switched to the Hazleton head end. It looks like they will split the whole mahanoy division at the old st nick breaker intersection.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor

»www.wfmz.com/news/news-r ··· 31938636
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to frankn

to frankn
I think what we are seeing at the old St Nick is the fiber leading to the Delano Hub. I figured that the borough of Shenandoah will be hooked right into the Hub as even Hazleton will eventually be hooked into the Hub.
What is odd the old Shen Heights website is still up and running and there is no mention of the change over. There is also nothing mentioned on SECV's site either.

Next week Frackville starts the migration to the new Delano Hub.
Jed1

Jed1 to Hellrazor

to Hellrazor
Two things that are interesting is one, people do not understand that nobody else is interested in providing service to the region and two, it is the content owners that are driving the cost of programming and how the consumer will access and use that programming.

There is 8 large corporations that own 90% of the TV channels and at least 60% of the movie studios. This is where competition needs to happen. Some trust busting of these content owners also needs to be done by the Federal government.
Sports is also the number one cause that cable/satellite costs are rapidly rising. If you remove all the sports channels from a TV subscription your monthly bill would fall by an average of $40/month. In some cases the savings would be higher than that.

If this is not addressed then prices for programming will continue to sky rocket, especially sports.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
said by Jed1:

Next week Frackville starts the migration to the new Delano Hub.

I like your optimism. I'll light a candle.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Jed1

to Jed1
Competition for cable is a joke unless you are one of the lucky few who live in an area with choices.

Sports pricing is one of the bigger things driving costs up. I am to the point I don't give a crap about watching sports on tv. So I am subsidizing everyone else.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to JoeKustra

to JoeKustra
I think you better add a few religious ceremonies for added good luck. My expectations are very low so the let down shouldn't be to bad if this fails to resolve the speed issues.

On a related note I may have to replace my other TiVo as the fan is getting loud. I loosened the screws and lightly retightened them and the noise is very low right now. TiVo suggests that I wait a little bit to see if the noise increases again. If it does then they will do a warranty replacement.
No Yahoo Screen yet either. The CSR never heard of it so this app is really low profile.
Jed1

Jed1 to Hellrazor

to Hellrazor
I agree. I gave up on sports many years ago as it was getting way to expensive. I think it would be fair if the sports fans subsidize my premium movie channels or put them in their own package and let the fans pay for it.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Hellrazor

MVM

to Hellrazor
Oh that sounds like the Lehigh Valley version, run by a different part of the family than our system. Yeah they are a bit behind just doing the digital transition now.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

JoeKustra

It's possible that there is a different way to look at this. Perhaps the author equates digital with encryption:

"It enables us to provide the customers with a better picture," he said. "It also prevents thefts [of cable service]."

Digital doesn't stop theft. It just makes a VCR and some TVs useless. The $125 for a box is also odd. When we went digital, there were very few bumps and no serious problems. Perhaps less than the OTA transition in 2009.

Update: Perhaps I was wrong. The web site indicates $125 is the cost to buy a cable card. Clear QAM channels are still listed and nothing indicates they are going away.
Knuckles5007
join:2010-09-12
Stroudsburg, PA

2 edits

Knuckles5007 to Jed1

to Jed1
It looks like Blue Ridge finally got around to updating their Residential Service Agreement for Broadband.

»www.brctv.com/sites/defa ··· odem.pdf

As of the date of this notice, the following bandwidth limitations are in effect:
Current monthly bandwidth limits:
Web Surfer: 150 GB combined total of download and upload per month
G5: 250 GB combined total of download and upload per month
G10: 250 GB combined total of download and upload per month
G15: 250 GB combined total of download and upload per month
Dream 60: 250 GB combined total of download and upload per month
Dream 100: 250 GB combined total of download and upload per month

The bandwidth caps are EXACTLY the same as they were before, except for one nasty surprise. It seems like they got rid of the unlimited usage outside of peak hours perk. Their generosity knows no bounds.

I e-mailed a customer service representative to see if this is true.

Looks like I'll still be sticking with Verizon DSL until the day I die. Unless NCNData somehow saves the day in my area.

EDIT: Got a reply back. The unlimited usage outside of peak hours is still in effect, so it appears to just be a mistake. I still would've liked to have seen an increase in the cap, but at least the perk itself provides a workable solution.