dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
« My Cable Problems
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 57 · 58 · 59 · 60 · 61 · 62 · 63 ... 198 · 199 · 200 · next
Jed1
join:2012-01-14
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to Knuckles5007

to Knuckles5007

Re: Service Electric Cablevision News

Wow! That is some really low caps for those speed tiers. SECV allow 750 GB on their Wideband 100 tier. I have 450GB on my 30 meg package.
You would figure Blue Ridge would offer higher caps since they own PTD.

Speaking of internet. I am clocking a speedy 5 meg down out of 30 meg right now. I actually had my speed drop to nothing while running the Ookla speed test.
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

JoeKustra

I've had the Ookla test stop on me also. Funny, but my new computer/WiFi combination is really sensitive. I can see up to 5 WiFi based telephones with it. I wonder if they will have bandwidth caps? If I see so many at my location, what must it be like in a more urban area? No wonder the 5GHz band is getting popular.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

I think if you use a VoIP service other than SECV phone, it will work against your cap.

The notice for the Frackville residents is up on SECV.com. It looks like my neighborhood goes first. Squeaky wheel gets the grease first.
I will be without service starting at 7:00 AM. I am not optimistic about the outcome. I'll believe it when I see it.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra

We won't know until after 8pm though. Every morning I get 14.5Mbps, every night it drops to 4 or 5. My money is on them not doing anything, but I'm very pessimistic. We can only hope.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
What's those outage times for? Cutting in new nodes or switching you to the new hub? Or maybe a little of both?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Thats interesting. Theres a shit ton of amps and LE's to replace though, and if they are going to upgrade those 860 gear to 1 gig, might as well change the diplex filters while they are in there to allow the return path a larger chunk of spectrum.

SECV is the only company I know that basically upgrades to each MHz they get. We were 550 down here years ago and they upgraded to 750. Then they upgraded to 860, and now your saying they will upgrade yet again to 1 gig? Comcast (then Time Warner) upgraded ONE time from 450 to 750 in the 90's and that's where the plant stays today.

Guess that's the difference between a publicly traded company and a private one. SECV's CAPEX spending does not have to answer to shareholders.

Oh traps are a thing of the past now. They haven't been installing them since encryption and they are slowly in process of removing them when they find them / get to them.

hmm here it was 400MHz Magnavox in '81 as the system was built and 550MHz in 1992 with Magnavox gear in 1997-1999 it was 750MHz Jerrold/GI gear and in 2008 it was 860MHz/1GHz Motorola gear
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I think it is just cutting in the new nodes. There is a ticket open for the Delano Hub on April 7th.
I will run a trace route after the change over tomorrow to see if it changes from Bears Head.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor

They are temporarily routing you through AOL
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
Frackville schedule is posted on the web site.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Jed when your back up please post a speed test and let us know if your traceroute changed. Also next time your out see if that node you posted a picture of earlier is now connected.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

1 edit

Jed1

I have nothing to report as nothing happened. I called SECV at lunch and they said the cut over is completed. I said that nothing was off here at all and I asked her to verify that they have the right Frackville neighborhood. She said yes.
I am thinking I live in an alternative Frackville, like Mirror Mirror from the original Star Trek.

Nothing has changed speed wise and I am still in Bears Head. None of my equipment has lost connection or have been off line. I guess SECV botched this project or they did the wrong node.

According to PTD, the job is still in progress. I also have not seen any Cable Services or SECV vehicles in my neighborhood and I have been up since 6:00 AM.

So I guess this menagerie continues.
gutch
join:2003-01-16
USA

gutch

The website still says there is worked to be done in Frackville tomorrow and Thursday. It also lists what streets.

Since the switch over here in Tamaqua, service has been much better.

Wednesday, March 25th
Spring Street, John Street, West High Street, North Stevens Street, East & West Pine Street, West Washington Street, North 4th Street, North 5th Street, North 6th Street, North 7th Street, North 8th Street, North 9th Street, North 10th Street

Thursday, March 26th
West Wall Street, West Arch Street, West Nicholas Street, West Laurel Street, Butler Road, Walnick Drive, Elm Road, Forest Drive, Stevens Street, New Street, Poplar Street, Howard Street, Juniper Street, West Spring Street, North Balliet Street, West Chestnut Street, South Nice Street, South 2nd Street, South 3rd Street
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

My neighborhood was supposed to be done today:

Tuesday, March 24th
Route 61, Florida Avenue, Westwood Lane, Pennsylvania Avenue, Carolina Avenue, Englewood Drive, West Washington Street, West Oak Street, West Frack Street, Kings Road, South 4th Street, 5th Street, North 6th Street, North 7th Street, 9th Street, 10th Street

SECV even paid to take out an ad in our local newspaper with the same information that is on their website.
When I called SECV they insisted that my neighborhood was completed even though it was not.

I found the Cable Services crew and they did the node over on railroad avenue. Their work orders do not match what SECV has posted. He did not have an exact date when my neighborhood will be done.
My node is going to be a hot swap as they are not running new lines to all the nodes. They told me that they are not bad enough to change yet. They just want to get us out of the old Bears Head head end. This upgrade probably will not alleviate the congestion issue we have been suffering through.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra

Life sucks then you get PTD.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Well I am getting 4 meg down and a 9% QOS right now. The imaginary cut over I had today is really doing well. I guess SECV will need to have a power point presentation to figure out how the schedule got mixed up.
They probably spent close to $100 on the ad in the paper and it is wrong. What will be sad is if the ad they take out next week also has the wrong information.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by Jed1:

They probably spent close to $100 on the ad in the paper and it is wrong.

LOL!

I saw Cable Services down here too. Seemed they were stringing at least 3 new black cables down a busy highway quite a few pole spans in length. They had the cable hangers / rollers on the current strand and new cables were being pulled along them. Black cables I would imagine fiber since the coax is silver down here.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Yes! the black cables are fiber. They were doing that in Frackville but they stopped. My node is not getting any new fiber as they are using the old runs.
The fiber cable is just hanging by some hangers and zip ties where they stopped the run on Pine street. It has been a month or so since they left it like this. It is not even terminated. The node on Pine street is only a block away.

I am still trying to get over the CSR persistently telling me that I have been cut over. I might as well talk to some one in India at least I would not expect an honest answer. "Serenity Now".

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 9MglZrhs
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Jed1

to Jed1
More than $100. Cost me 250 and 350 to run a simple public bid notice in 2 different papers a few weeks ago.
frankn
join:2013-10-11
Shenandoah, PA

frankn to Jed1

to Jed1
I was finally switched over to SECV from Shen-Heights tv yesterday, all I can say is WOW!
Ran a speed test for the installer 24 Mbps on the 25 Mbps package.also ran several more when the kids came home from school still receiving a strong 24 Mbps

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Wow 422E in Exeter township is jammed. Flagger force has it down to 1 lane so cable services can work.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to Hellrazor

to Hellrazor
You are right. The ad SECV took out was quite large so they probably paid at least $300 to $500. I will have to check todays paper to see f they have it in each of the three days. Then they will have the ad for two days next week and then one day the week after.

The reason they have to run the ad is because of the phone service, mainly for emergency communications. Any customer that has SECV phone will have a purple tag attached to their drop at the tap. If they are disrupting service then the techs will have to knock on the door of each affected customer. When they restore service then they have to go to each affected customers home and see if the phone service is working. If nobody was home at the time then they have to leave a tag to notify the customer that the service was down and what to do if it is not working properly.
In this case they are stopping service for an entire neighborhood so they have to publicly notify the customers by running ads in newspapers, on their website, and on their bulletin board channel.
Unfortunately Hazleton is not following the schedule so corporate SECV's rear end is not covered legally. If someone is injured or dies from the loss of 911 service, SECV can now be legally sued into oblivion.
Jed1

Jed1 to frankn

to frankn
Yea, you guys got a big change in services offered. You affectively went form a cable company stuck in the mid to late 80's to a modern one in one day.
You will have to keep an eye on your internet speed as it may start to drop after a few weeks. Check your speeds on the weekends, especially if there is bad weather.
Also you results will depend on how many customers are using the internet in your neighborhood at one time. So if only a few people have SECV in your neighborhood then your speeds will not be drug down to drastically.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Boy did I get a sad reply from SECV today. Now I am being told that my neighbors were moved and I wasn't as I live on a corner and I am on a different node.
I guess I will be updated on the 31st, the 1st, or the 7th. They were supposed to do Pine and 6th street node today but I think they did Nice and Spring street node. They did East Pine and Railroad Avenue node yesterday.
It also looks like PTD is working by the corporate schedule as my IP address is showing Saylorsburg PA, Chestnut Hill Township, or East Stroudsburg. These are Blue Ridge Cable locations.
This is the first time in the 11 years since I had internet with Service Electric that my IP address showed a location outside of my cable system. It mostly showed Frackville or Mahanoy City until this January, it started showing St. Clair, then Tamaqua.
Trace Route still shows Bears Head. My speeds still suck. They are only going to swap out the node. They are not running any new cable to my node as they say it is not bad enough to replace yet.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra

It is sad to get screwed for living on a corner. What IP address is bad? And to get really weird, my Yahoo home page had Ashland for its weather, then last week it changed to Saylorsburg. I tried again today and it said Fountain Springs once, then changed to Ashland. Weather channel says Ashland now; it used to say Locustdale. Maybe I moved? Or entered The Twilight Zone. That would explain a lot.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

My IP Geolocation is always wrong. Sometimes it's Montague, frequently it shows Wappinger Falls NY or Poughkeepsie NY.

Right now on »www.iplocation.net/ I get:
New York, New York City
New Jersey, Branchville 3 times
Pennsylvania, Matamoras
New Jersey, Parsippany-troy Hills

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Neat site Andrew! I correctly get Reading, PA for all but one that says Palmerton, PA.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra to andrewc2

to andrewc2
Quite nice. I get four unique sites, with Palmerton as one. I have tested several locations around the area and Aurburn, VA is the most consistent. It's near D.C., so it must be a political thing. [joke]
JoeKustra

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
I was looking at the old IP address on the speedtest. 75.97.33.127 has Ashland as part of the sites. Now I use 24.115.216.191, but both include Palmerton. If you haven't noticed:»www.tivo.com/priority_20.4.7
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

I see that the node upgrades were done according to schedule. They did Pine and 6th yesterday and 3rd and Nicholas today. They are now back to insisting that I was upgraded on Tuesday. The three remaining nodes left are on Spring and Nice, Lehigh and Laurel, and Pine and Railroad- which was done on Tuesday. The ticket for my node, 3rd and Frack, is closed and labeled completed.
My IP address still is showing Saylorsburg and East Stroudsburg. It just started showing this on Friday. For the last month it showed Tamaqua. My speed was around 7 meg down last night. Amazon Prime looked like crap. I checked the speed again at midnight and still was getting 7 meg down so I just went to bed.

Thanks for the Priority Update notice. I still don't have Yahoo Screen. I guess the Premieres will get Vudu with this one. I wonder if they will pull the same stunt as the last time were the Roamios will go first and the Premieres will go last.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra

I don't have my Roamio on the list, just the Premiere. I used to have a CNET podcast download that would give me late night speed tests, but downloads have gone to heaven on the Roamio & Premiere. People are pissed. I am pissed that I can't delete them from the Download Manager.
« My Cable Problems
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 57 · 58 · 59 · 60 · 61 · 62 · 63 ... 198 · 199 · 200 · next