join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1

Re: Service Electric Cablevision News

The moxi HD system is a big improvement but I still think they should of partnered with TiVo for the T6 (MSO version of Roamio). TiVo would handle all the device fulfillment and support and the brand name, familiar product could entice more customers.

Oh well, SECV can turn a blind eye to RCN and Suddenlink's success with it. Blue Ridge Cable (a Penncor company) couldn't resist.

Note how no one from SECV can ever be bothered to comment on the reasoning behind this choice.
Jed1
join:2012-01-14
Frackville, PA

1 edit

Jed1

The Moxi UI will be a big deal to those working at SECV unless they have experience with UI's outside of what SECV uses, like the TiVo, Genie, Hopper, etc.

I had a Moxi with one Mate and the UI was a big deal at the time because it was the only one in HD at the time but the menu system is a bit confusing compared to the TiVos. The TiVo has the best menu system going and is pretty easy to grasp hold of even with out using the manual.
I dumped the Moxi quickly when I heard they were being bought by Arris for only 23 million in cash. I knew then that the Moxi was not a very big hit and it was leaked by Arris that there was only around 6000 consumer Moxi users.
I was surprised looking at the videos of the Arris whole home set up that they made no changes to the Moxi UI which is the main reason Arris bought Digeo.
»www.moxi.com/us/

I am wondering if SECV will opt for the full blown version or a stripped down version of the Arris Whole home system.

Speaking of Pencor they also own PenTeleData and a telephone company on top of Blue Ridge Cable. I wonder if the owners decide to sell some or all of SECV if Pencor will buy it since SECV is already tied into PTD.
»www.pencor.com/

I do not think any employees are allowed to communicate on the forums as I think a person at corporate SECV handles the facebook page. They seem to keep tight controls on any information that is not public.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Well Blue Ridge uses Passport on Cisco gear. If they would buy SECV, to standardize they would at least bring Passport / Passport Echo to the Moto based platform. That would be a big WIN for customers.

I still don't think SECV has any intentions to sell any time soon. And as far as mergers, only if they come out on top, like when they purchased Shen-heights. I'm not sure if there's many small operators left in our area that would make a logical purchase for SECV.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

When Mahanoy City was with SECO we had the PassPort Echo guide. While it is a step above the older I Guide platform it is still old. Gemstar bought the creator of Passport guide, Aptiv digital, back in 2007.
»www.businesswire.com/new ··· -Digital
Gemstar eventually sold themselves to Macrovision who is now Rovi.

Rovi has three platforms for cable guides, two that are familiar and one that is familiar to Comcast X1 users.
The I Guide:
»www.rovicorp.com/webdocu ··· link_id=
Passport Echo:
The Total Guide which does what the TiVo already does:

I got tired of waiting for these content providers to do the right thing so I bit the bullet and bought the TiVos. My neighbor had the genie and it is also not up to par with TiVo. He just bailed on Direct TV and got a TiVo an signed up with SECV.

I am waiting for an update on my TiVos now which will open the door to HTML 5 apps starting in January. I think if you went with TiVo you would be satisfied.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

With the Tivo can you customize the channel guide? I would want to delete all SD versions of HD channels to clean up the guide and prevent accidental viewing / recording of SD content.

I can't afford the whole home Tivo solution this year. Maybe in 2015 after that tax return. 2014's tax return is already spoken for. I'd like to pay down some credit card debt.

See that's what would be nice if SECV rented the Tivo platform. I would be able to go triple play with them without the big upfront hardware costs. It would have been a win-win for them. I'm sure that the up front hardware cost deters many potential Tivo users. That's why Tivo is trying hard to sign up cable providers to bundle their gear. It's really a win-win and I'm surprised SECV doesn't see that. Their sister Blue Ridge saw it and it will be offered in Q1 2014 for those guys.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

TiVO is overpriced, regardless of whether it's purchased by the consumer or leased by the cable company. You're paying an extra fee for their service in addition to the DVR fees, as seen with local company Atlantic Broadband, who was the first cable company to launch the leased Roamio.

Anything's better than iGuide and those Motorola boxes though.
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Channel scan makes a table of what it finds. You can go through that table and flag any channel as "on or off" and favorite. Afterwards you can make the guide display "all", "selected or my channels", or "favorites". From the guide you can make a displayed channel a "favorite" also. There are also two display options for the guide.

Out of the 400+ channels in my channel table I have about 30 favorites that show in the guide. I have the HD service and, since I deselect the SD mirror channels, only HD versions are displayed and/or recorded.

Recording from the guide is the normal method, but to be fair, the guide has bugs. It is from TMS, but something gets lost by someone. The TiVo guide has a hard time with midnight and the same program showing twice on the same day (sometimes). I always validate against Zap2It.com if needed.

It's better to pay down credit card debt.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Thank you Joe. I'm not going to disrupt a perfectly good working DirecTV system at this point. If they offer me a free Genie upgrade, that's one thing. By the time that commitment is up, I could revisit SECV and Tivo. Those are my only two options... DirecTV and SECV. Trees block my Dish Network view, and we have no Telco TV providers in our area.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

It looks like the beginning of having access to control your phone account with SECV is happening now. There was mention of it on their facebook page. The only thing you can do right now is send your voicemail messages to your email account but this is a start.
You can access it either through Ironton or Service Electric Telephone.
You need to have Microsoft Silverlight installed on your computer.

Ironton:
»www.ironton.com/voicemail.php
»www.ironton.com/PDFS/Web ··· zoom=100
»www.ironton.com/

Service electric Telephone:
»www.setelephone.net/voic ··· mail.php
»www.setelephone.net/pdfs ··· zoom=100
»www.setelephone.net/

Web Portal link:
»maxmail.ironton.com/Portal/

SECV digital phone user guide:
»www.secv.com/cdocs/secv_ ··· e_vm.pdf
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
As Joe stated you can customize the guide to your needs. There is actually two guides, the traditional TiVo grid guide, and the fancier TiVo live guide. The guide data service is coming from Tribune Media Services and I keep all the SECV channel line ups up to date. You can check your line up by going to Zap2It.
»www.zap2it.com/

I am pretty certain that SECV is going to use the Moxi platform but even if they use the TiVo platform it will not have all of the features that is available with the consumer TiVos. The boxes will be restricted to only access SECV content and not anything else like Netflix or Amazon instant video.
A lot of the features on the consumer TiVos are cloud based and requires a constant connection to TiVo servers to access data. The new Rovi Total Guide is the same way. This is the main drawback for cable and satellite providers as these things will lead customers away from their own offerings and also force the cable/sat providers to compete with offerings from the internet providers. So don't think for one minute that either cable or sat providers will embrace these new ideas and if they do there access will be very restricted, probably to data that has been downloaded to the box everyday from the content provider.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Well the phone system updates are great news. I really would like an online portal to create and manage block lists. This is something Ooma does (besides their pricing) that has me investigating that service.

I checked TiVo and it looks like the box I would want is the $400 model and I would want at least one more mini for another room. I would likely mirror one of the Tivo's outputs to the bedroom as we cannot physically be in there and two other rooms at the same time. I do this today with SD output from a DirecTV box feeding an old VCR solely to get Ch 3 output fed to my bedroom. In addition a IR to RF repeater or iPhone / iPad control.

Also TiVo can work with the two biggest VOD systems (Seachange and Concurrent) so even if SECV leased an MSO version without Amazon or Netflix, that would be fine if it could tap into VOD.

Is there decent HD VOD content with SECV?
cypherstream

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Just tried the web portal. No matter what pin I try to enter, it says its wrong. I tried the default 0000 listed in the PDF manual. I also tried our voicemail pin. Nada.
cypherstream

cypherstream

MVM

said by cypherstream:

Just tried the web portal. No matter what pin I try to enter, it says its wrong. I tried the default 0000 listed in the PDF manual. I also tried our voicemail pin. Nada.

Ok you have to call in and have this enabled for your phone. Once enabled it can take up to 24 hours and you use the default 0000 pin and then you obviously go in and change that.

When asked they did say multi room DVR is in the works but there's no release date yet.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Your looking at the Roamio Plus. The Roamio Plus and the Pro have TiVo Stream built in. The Mini will run around $200 to $250 with lifetime service. The Stream currently works with Apple products and Android service will come available in the spring. The remotes can be IR or RF.
If you buy the TiVo from Amazon you can use the PLSR code if you buy lifetime service for the box. This will give you $100 off the cost of lifetime service for your first box. A $100 discount applies to each device you add after that.
The monthly charge is $12.95 and that will be a locked in one year contract.

I gave up on SECV VOD as it did not have a lot of HD titles that appealed to me, especially there was no HBO HD or Cinemax HD VOD offerings. I gave their box back in early July so I can not comment if there was any changes done recently.
The MSO TiVo will work with their VOD but their VOD offerings are some what weak and you will get better pricing and a much larger selection from the other video providers.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I wish they would enable call blocking and have the ability to store at least a 1000 numbers as I am getting tired of all the scam phone calls aimed at my elderly mother. The so called electric choice calls are getting annoying as one of them is a pyramid scheme.
I am going to wait to see if they add more features in order to try this out.
Also SECV should have one account access for these services as I would have to create another account for the phone when I already have one set up to view my account and pay my bill. This is how Comcast runs theirs.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Yeah we get scam callers from fake credit card companies and the latest is one claiming to be "Windows Lab" saying they are Microsoft and they detected a virus and want to remote on and show you and try to scare you that the prefetch files are "bad virus files", and filter the event viewer for errors and warning and say that those are so bad (every PC has a few of these).

Call blocking would be great and its a feature of Ooma. Our Panasonic DECT cordless phones can host a call block list, and I do have some numbers in there, but the phone has to ring for at least 1 full ring before silencing. It relies on the caller ID signal that takes about a full ring to arrive.

SECV Now has access to HBOGo correct? Is HBOGo available on Tivo? I know it is on xbox and it looks great on xbox.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

An elderly woman I know almost fell for the fake virus on her computer two weeks ago. She called me to ask if it was true and I told her no. These calls are getting way out of hand.
I also have Panasonic phones with the call block but the problem is these idiots keep spoofing new numbers every time I block one.

Yes SECV has HBO GO and no it is not on the TiVo as you would not necessarily need it as you would be able to tune to it on the TiVo as you would need a subscription to HBO anyway. There is rumors that it maybe added to the app store so it is a wait and see.
Here is what SECV has so far with TV Everywhere.
»www.secv.com/tve/index.cfm

I do believe that there is going to be a lot of possibilities with the TiVo with these new HTML 5 apps as TiVo does not have to write a app for each client anymore. The clients write their own apps and then they can get added to the app store on the TiVo.
The Roamios have the update already and us Premiere owners are now starting to get the update with in the next few weeks.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Good info, thanks.

Well it's been more than 24 hours and I still can't log into the phone portal. I called around 4 PM Thursday and she said it would take 24 hours. Web portal still says invalid password no matter what I try. It should be 0000 as the default.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Hopefully it will work by Monday.

Here is a list of devices that TV Everywhere works on. It is found in the TV Everywhere FAQs.
»www.secv.com/tve/tve_faqs.cfm

Q: What TV Everywhere content is currently available?
A: Click here to view the content currently available and the corresponding device(s).

Click on the highlighted answer and it will be a pop up list.
»www.secv.com/tve/index.cfm

Like you said if they got TiVo equipment they would not have to do any of this stuff as it will be part of the TiVo Experience.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream

MVM

Phone portal began working for me today, 12/24.

So it looks like you can set different voice mail greetings and assign them to different numbers which is a really cool feature.

I downloaded the error beeps wav file from here: »www.scn.org/~bk269/error ··· eps1.wav

I added it as a second greeting called error beeps. Now in the specific callers tab I can copy down the blocklist from my Panasonic DECT phone into here and assign them to error beeps. Hopefully this tone will take our number out of their autodialers.

Remember, my blocklist is on the phone itself. So after one ring, the phone stops ringing and does not let the answering machine pick up. So essentially it would go to voice mail. If that same number matches and gets the error beeps tone, maybe that will throw their automated system off.

Now only if they could tie the specific callers tab into an actual block list to not even allow the phone to ring through.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Wow! Super idea. I was contemplating of turning my fax machine on and leave it answer after 4 rings but you came up with a really good idea.
I agree SECV should come up with a really great call blocking feature and market their phone service around it. It would be super if I didn't have to keep blocking all these numbers. They should have it where you can block entire area codes.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
Is Hazleton still limited to 30Mbs for internet? I just noticed that on the rate card.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

The Mahanoy system is limited to 20/2 Mbps for Internet and Hazleton should be up to 50/5 Mbps. If you have one of SECV's DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems you should power cycle it as they added a second upstream channel in the Mahanoy system. This appeared when they added the new HD channels.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra

I checked my SB6120 and it is 4 down and 2 up (channels). Probably reset when I moved. Plus I reset it when I changed to the WNDR4500 router. Both my wired desktop and wireless laptop benchmark at the 5Mbs I pay for.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

If you upgrade your internet speed they will have to change your modem to one that supports 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels.
When they are done with the upgrades I will move up to 30/3 from 20/2. The people at 12/1 will move up to 20/2 and the Bonze will remain the same. Also 50/5 will come available.
Of course my bill will increase by $4/month.
JoeKustra
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

JoeKustra

I was at 15/5 but decided that downloading was too addictive. When there is a movie that I decide to buy, it's usually for the sound anyhow. With a slow interface I avoid the temptation. I had Mt Carmel configured so well that sometimes the audio scared me. I still have 5.1 but 1/2 the viewing space. I basically live at a Motel 6.
Bonka
join:2002-12-05
Tamaqua, PA

Bonka to Jed1

to Jed1
There's no need for 8 downstream channels for any of SECV's internet. Something like 150 mbit is supported with 4 channels.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

no 150-160Mbps is the total bandwidth per node at 4 downstream bonding it is impractical for anyone one assume there is a single user amount of bandwidth for 150Mbps on 4 down until you move to 8+ channel bonding.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

When I lived on a Comcast area, I had a 4x4 eMTA and tested 105/10 for them. It worked fine and at the time the system only had 4 downstream and 2 x 64QAM upstream.

Jon_K
@24.229.99.x

Jon_K

Anon

I live near Shenandoah and currently now using their Internet (Shen Heights). Paying for 5 DL/ .7 UP.

I've been having very weird speeds lately and was told I'll just have to deal with it til the SECV upgrade gets finished in my area. I spoke to a SECV tech last week while they were over and they were saying that they are pretty much done running the cable threw Eagle Rock/Sheppton. That they are now running Fiber threw and making progress. After that they'll start in Eagle Rock and switch everyone over and head down this way to Shenandoah. Estimate was for Summer 2014. Tech did say if the weather keeps staying alright around this way that it will be alot sooner then that.

Anyone else hear of any news on this?

Can't wait to get faster Internet down here in the rural area.