uniqs
Expand your moderator at work
Jed1
join:2012-01-14
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to Bonka

to Bonka

Re: Service Electric Cablevision News

The more downstream and upstream channels available will bring better balance to the end users as 8 channels is a bigger pipe than 4 channels.
This reduces the possibility of speed loss during times of heavy internet traffic.
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra

Let me know when they give us 8 channels. My modem is old (about 2 years), so I'll have an excuse to buy a new one.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

The 8 channels are available now. There is also 2 upstream channels.
I have the Arris 820A.
»www.arrisi.com/products/ ··· sp?id=74
»www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· UN11.pdf
»www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· UG11.pdf
They also have the Motorola SB6141.
»www.arrisi.com/products/ ··· p?id=910

SECV installed the Arris in my home last June and this eliminated my speed loss at high traffic times. I have the Arris 602G also as I have phone service with SECV.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

There was a maint window early this morning, also scheduled for Thursday and next tues/thurs as well.

I don't know what they were doing but when the modems came back online our upstream's registered at QPSK. Previously it was 16QAM.

Hopefully after the next few maint windows they will get 64QAM working. I would love a boost in the upstream direction.
cypherstream

cypherstream

MVM

Click for full size
Here is the maint ticket.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

hmm seems like CMTS maintenance. I wonder if they are going to QAM64 upstream channels as well? I know my TWC area recently moved to 3 QAM64 upstreams at 6.4MHz wide

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Click for full size
Well I notice the downstream channel ID's are as high as 14. I wonder if they really have 14 downstreams? That would be an insane amount of bandwidth that they don't even use.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

I have QPSK on the two upstream channels here on the Mahanoy City system. I also have 8 downstream channels. You should upgrade your modem to one that can handle 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels.
I hope you did not commit to another 2 years with direct tv. I am sending you a PM.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
new CMTS? could be a Cisco now? Also maybe they got a CCAP capable CMTS? I would check the modem logs to see if your CMTS MAC didn't change

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
I am not committing anything with directv until the new D14 satellite is launched and I see what they do with it. If they sit on the new capacity and don't offer things like Nick JR, Oxygen, Sprout, Esquire, We, and a few others in HD, I will have to consider switching.

fibergirl
join:2010-11-07
Riegelsville, PA

fibergirl to Jed1

to Jed1
most be nice as usual the Lehigh Valley is not talking about any new products whole home dvr coming so thrilling...... looks like most of head ends are on doscis 3.0 but no mention of any new speed increase its pathetic to over 25/1 with doscis 3.0 no bonded upstream channels.. any news from this unit would be greatly welcomed....

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
After a brief outage around 6:10 AM the modem came back with much higher levels.
Downstreams are all 8 and 9 dBmV, when previously they were 1 and 2 dBmv. The channel ID's also changed and I'm on 3,4,6,and 7. They are defined differently than last week because on my prior screen shot 615 MHz was channel 12, but now that same frequency is reported as channel 4. 627 MHz is now Ch 6 previously 14.

Upstream went from 42 dBmV down to 39 dBmV.

CMTS MAC is still the same from last week (ending in :c4) Prior to all of this maintenance the CMTS MAC ended in :c1 (but the rest was identical so that indicates to me they did a port reconfiguration and our node is on a different interface).

Still only QPSK upstream. Out of 2 megs I can only seem to get 1.8 up.

cypherstream

1 edit

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Click for full size
There's a ticket open on engr.ptd.net regarding cable modem slowness in Birdsboro. Hopefully by the end of the week they will get us off of QPSK upstream modulation.

They only have 15mbps up per node now.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Right now I can only manage 1.7 up. I remember a while back a technician at PTD told me they have to deliver at least 80% of the advertised speed. So anything above 1.6 up will be considered ok on a 2 meg upload.
Hopefully the upgrades will give higher upstream speeds. I see that the Sunbury system is experiencing the same thing.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Well only 8 people in an entire node doing max uploads would bring 3 QSPK channels maxed out. With all the Facebook video and photo uploads, YouTube uploads, cloud backups, torrents, etc.. I'm sure it's not hard to find 8 people in a node hitting their max upstream. Then downstream suffers since there's little room for TCP ACKs.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by cypherstream:

Well only 8 people in an entire node doing max uploads would bring 3 QSPK channels maxed out. With all the Facebook video and photo uploads, YouTube uploads, cloud backups, torrents, etc.. I'm sure it's not hard to find 8 people in a node hitting their max upstream. Then downstream suffers since there's little room for TCP ACKs.

besides isn't QSPK circa before 2005ish on most providers? Hmm? I mean I don't think the QSPK change was intended. I am thinking that they may have meant to do a QSPK/QAM16/QAM64 profile on the upstreams but the config messed up?
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I know a lot of people around me use their 3G or 4G service for facebook, etc.
Hopefully SECV will get all the upgrades done this year so we end up with more consistent performance. I think the purchase of the Shen Heights system has set things back here.

Jon_K
@24.229.99.x

Jon_K

Anon

I know that the Shen-Heights project is their number 1 priority at the moment. The crew they hired to feed all the new lines have been outside my house on the street working. (I live in Brandonville).

I stopped by and asked them a day ago about the process and they said Eagle Rock was 95% finished and that now they were working down to Shen. Their time frame was Summer for the new speeds but with how much man power they have on it, the guy said very early spring, maybe even sooner. The SECV crew for down this area said "They want this project done ASAP."

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
CMTS maintenance scheduled on 2/6 from 2am - 6am. Expect outages off of the Birdsboro system.

Still QPSK here. At my dads his old 5100 doesn't even list the modulation. But it's 27 MHz / 46db and his down is 615 MHz around 0 db, 36snr. Like mine it also says incompatible firmware file in the logs.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Cypher-
Heading up to Sunbury at the end of the week to visit the family. I'll report in on their setup.
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA

2 edits

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
Performed my monthly reboot. My SB6120 log now has an entry: "SW upgrade Failed before download - File not Present" and only two upstream entries.
I do have [3] QPSK [2] 16QAM on each upstream channel though. My speed is only 5/1.
JoeKustra

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· internal

Any chance this is for us?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to JoeKustra

MVM

to JoeKustra
Joe, our logs in the Birdsboro system say the same thing about SW upgrade failed. It's like they are pushing firmware no matter what but luckily the modem doesn't take it if it's not designed for it.

Saw the DTA article and that would be pretty nice, but who knows. They need HD-DTA's that auto tune the HD feed for all subscribed channels in the DTA compatible packages. That would make standard HD adaption really easy.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to JoeKustra

to JoeKustra
I doubt it Joe as this is for DTAs and people who are using their analog TVs yet on a different cable system. I also reset my network and hardware devices yesterday and I see no change in the upstream channels. I have SECV's Arris 820A modem so I don't have the SW upgrade failed.

I am getting worried as it was mentioned on the SECV Facebook page that they will be releasing the 6 tuner DVR and used the word gateway to describe it. That will be the old Moxi unit with that ridiculous User Interface. It was kind of cool when Moxi first released it in 2009 but it will be outdated looking compared to the TiVo interface.
Jed1

Jed1 to Jon_K

to Jon_K
You Shen Heights customers are going to get a huge lift when they switch you over to SECV. Tons of channels, really fast internet speeds and a lot better equipment.
The change was more modest for us Mahanoy City customers as we had a lot of what SECV already had. They really bungled the transistion for us so I hope it goes a lot smoother for you.

I never realized that Pattersonville and Brandonville were part of Shen Heights. I always assumed that they were part of Service Electric as they control Ringtown. I heard that the government is looking at some type of fraudulent activity with the real estate with Eagle Rock. This will be interesting if it pans out.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
My last firmware build was September 6th 2011 on the Arris 820A.
27 MHz, 10-4 good buddy as they are using the CB Band for a return channel. My luck I would get a neighbor who is a CB nut and keep wiping out my upstream feed all the time.

I am still getting corrected errors in the upper 700MHz range which is caused by the up link and down link of Verizon and AT&T Long Term Evolution. I also see Dish bought some blocks in the lower 700 MHz range and plan to use it for some type of video service. This is going to become a cable techs nightmare.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Hmm yeah the Moxi is interesting but I agree it's the wrong way to go. TiVo has finally pulled their head out from behind and have been keeping up with the platform. The new App Store looks great. RCN has great success and a big following on this site. SECV needs user forums on their site. Comcast and Time Warner has them. RCN just uses this site. I'm pretty sure Cox and Charter have forums too, but they also have reps here, as well as BrightHouse Networks.

Anyway it looks like DirecTV's D14 launch is pushed back to August. If that even holds its a good 3 months of testing at least until they use it for real content. That means it could be the good 3 quarters of the year without new HD adds on direcTV. I wouldn't mind trying SECV's gateway, but you know the bottom line will come down to price. Not to mention I don't even see Oxygen on their lineup, and the wife watches that. Disappointing it's only in SD on DirecTV but it's better than not having it at all I guess.

Curious to see what they do with the new channels that came out like Revolt, El Rey and also if they plan to add more premiums in HD.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Using what Wave Broadband is charging, they want $20/month for the Gateway and $7/month for each client box.
»www.wavebroadband.com/ca ··· um=email
I also assume this will be offered to triple play customers only as it has a cable and phone modem built into it. I figure SECV will try to put some of the pricing into their channel packages as to make it appear that it is low cost.

If you want Oxygen on SECV put in a channel request.
»www.secv.com/order2/of_c ··· irds.cfm

I don't think anyone at SECV will participate in this forum as SECV is run by Managers and Sales people. The technical people are just employees and there are just a few of them.
Facebook will be as good as it gets as the purpose of that is to sell their product. Just look at all the people complaining about the lack of ABC TV Anywhere, SECV's response is to try other TV Anywhere offerings.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

This morning before I left work, I checked my modem and it looks like they didn't do any maintenance (at least for my node) as we are still on QPSK upstream. I am wondering with the last ice storm that they will put this off due to the number of people without service and / or power.

$27 a month for the gateway and one additional room is a little steep. I believe DirecTV is more like $23 for the same thing.

Thanks for the link. I'll submit a request there.