dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
« Copper clad steel VS pure copper coaxMy Cable Problems »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 ... 197 · 198 · 199 · next

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream

Re: Service Electric Cablevision News

Cool pic Cypher-
That's pretty much what the FIOS TV headend (VHO) in Philly looks like.
Jed1
join:2012-01-14
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I think Dwight is Hoyts brother. I dug up some old articles that has some interesting information of Service Electrics history.
»multichannel.com/news/ca ··· s/332967
»articles.mcall.com/2002- ··· walson/2

My mom grow up a few houses away from the Walsonavichs. These are the family members she knew. This is before Service Electric started.
»boards.ancestry.com/loca ··· /mb.ashx
»www.ancestry.com/1940-ce ··· ch_zfrbt

Also some interesting news from Arris.
»www.mediacastermagazine. ··· 07vvM2vx

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Interesting. What's the difference between Walson and Walsonavich , besides the latter sounding more polish.
cypherstream

4 edits

cypherstream to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

Cool pic Cypher-
That's pretty much what the FIOS TV headend (VHO) in Philly looks like.

Did you see pics of one of them too?

Anyway taking a closer look at the pics, its the Motorola GX2 platform they are using. Makes sense since there are lots of Motorola nodes.

»www.ncsind.com/productIm ··· heet.pdf
So that is the top 4U. After the next blank panel, Its an ATX Networks Buffer amplifier I believe (»www.atxnetworks.com/pdf/ ··· pecs.pdf). Then there are 7 PCI Technologies SCN-1000 combiners. So that shot is the forward broadcast transport equipment.

11 racks * 16 modules in each GX2, a possible of 176 modules across that shot, assuming all racks have the same stuff. It could actually be double that because it looks like theres more GX2's closer to the bottom of the rack in the one... Dwights in the way to see the rest.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I think the name was shortened after the son John started Service Electric. I wonder if he had to shorten the name to be more accepted in the business community back in them days.
In the coal region there was still signs in shop windows "Irish need not apply" right up until the second world war.
A lot of people living around the St. Nicholas Breaker at that time where from the Ukraine, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Austria Hungarian region.

I was looking for the picture of Dwight that you posted as I seen that a while back. I think that is from the old Sunbury location before they moved to the new building. I tried zooming in but it is to blurry for me to read with these aging eyes. I was hoping to get a tour of the remodeled Hazleton head end but it never happened. I do not know what went wrong.

My node that feeds my home lost power tonight around 7 PM. SECV got it fixed around 8:30 PM. Never had this happen before. Got to talk with a lot of neighbors this evening and they seem to really hate calling that Hazleton office as they feel the employees there are snobs. Another neighbor behind me is switching to Dish this week as she is mad that Turner Classic Movies is not on Classic Cable.

Jon_K
@12.15.118.x

Jon_K to Jed1

Anon

to Jed1
Finally received a call from SECV today with them apologizing about the wait in Brandonville. Seems Pattersonville was having major issues with being connected to Shen Heights still to the point people were not even getting tv/internet since the lines were that bad. So that was number 1 priority. I didn't get into details since I was at work talking to them.

They have me scheduled to hook up 100/5 on the 20th of August. I asked for it ASAP but was told the technician who does it is overbooked at the moment with new hookups of old Shen Heights along with there daily jobs. Now... I hope I don't go over my monthly usage streaming to Twitch.tv.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

That is good to hear. Just hope they show up on the scheduled date as I sat at my house for a whole day and nobody showed up and nobody called that they wouldn't be coming that day.

I may have to call about internet and phone issues again but I really do not want to call up to Hazleton anymore.
I had my sister call Comcast to check to see if the issue was on their end but they said it is on SECVs side.
Bonka
join:2002-12-05
Tamaqua, PA

Bonka

I've been having a lot of t3 timeouts that eventually force my modem to restart the last day now. I haven't had any major issues in quite a while until this, but it doesn't seem to be clearing up yet. They may be hearing from me soon as well.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

I'm getting pretty good speed tests for my package but sometimes I have issues getting some YouTube videos to load. This is usually in the evening 9-11 PM for example. I wonder if there is a peering issue that is maxed out on PTD.net's end.
Bonka
Tamaqua, PA

Bonka

I continue to have t3 timeouts and modem restarts so I just emailed the Hazleton office and asked them to forward to tech support. My modem has restarted 6 times today that I know of, probably more before I was able to begin monitoring. This was happening yesterday as well and I know it restarted at least 2 or 3 times then as well. I understand the connection will drop out every now and then, but multiple times a day is too much.

With my luck it's an isolated issue and since I don't live by many people with SECV internet (not sure any are tech savvy or pay attention enough to even notice either) it'll drag out like my multiple months of horrific packet loss last year.
luckydriver
join:2006-12-29
Reading, PA

1 edit

luckydriver to Jed1

to Jed1
so will my phone's caller ID work with internet phone?. my phone was bought in past 10 years. this kinda has me worried:

Further, the Services may not be compatible with certain voice and non-voice communications equipment, including certain fax machines, certain “dial-up” modems, rotary dial phone handsets, pulse-dial phone handsets, private branch exchange (PBX) equipment, answering machines, traditional Caller ID units

or does caller ID units mean those stand alone boxes?

edit: they say it will work fine with my phone. also internet phone 61 install fee waived until 9/12. enjoy!
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

I have had their service since 2009 and all my equipment has worked fine. In fact I have an old caller ID box and it works. Unless you have a old rotary desk top phone from Ma Bell you should be fine.
Jed1

Jed1 to Bonka

to Bonka
I sent an email today as I am having issues with all three services. I think the system here was struck by lightening.

I am trying the email approach as I am not having much luck contacting by phone.
Bonka
Tamaqua, PA

Bonka

I got a call from them today. My modem hadn't reset since I emailed them yesterday and told the person I was talking to this and mentioned it probably wasn't necessary to send a tech out as she wanted to. However, she told me that she looked in to it and something about the power didn't look right and they wanted to check it out. The signal looks ok from my end, but they have more information than I do. A tech is supposed to be coming tomorrow, so hopefully they can actually pinpoint the issue if there is one.

It probably helped that I sent them a screenshot of my modem log with the numerous errors displayed. I imagine that avoided any wasted time on ineffective basic troubleshooting.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

They should be able to read the logs from their location. The only thing they can't read is the diagnostics on the cable boxes. The chief engineer from when we were with SECO could read the diagnostics on the STBs before the transition.
I do not know why SECV can not do this.

I contacted Verizon this morning to see about switching the phone and internet back but when I said they will have to put up a new line to my house they put my on hold and when the lady came back she said she would have to get back to me.
Also I have to use a modem with a router built in or buy one myself. She also kept asking me to go with Direct TV but I was not interested.
I guess I am stuck with SECV.
luckydriver
Reading, PA

luckydriver

this is funny. i'm trying fast to get away from windstream (verizon lines) and you want them. i sure hope i dont have secv issues like you, phone is being installed in a few weeks and i hope it's static free compared to my verizon lines
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

I really had no issues with the phone when we were with the other Service Electric but since the transition to SECV I have had issues with the phone. The phone is the one service I lost at the transition and it seems like it never gets fixed right.
You may not have any issues at all as Birdsboro did not get absorbed by another division. Us Mahanoy City customers are still in the Bears Head head end yet.

What I find amazing is I had to abandoned Verizon as my phone line was failing and they refused to replace it. My telephone line is made of iron and was installed in 1933. It is literary rusting away. I left Verizon 5 years ago last month and even after all that time they still refuse to replace the line to get me back as a customer.

You should have no static as the phone is all digital (VoIP). I doubt you will have any issues at all as you are on a different head end run by different people.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Jed1

MVM

to Jed1
Eww Verizon.., I despise them as a company. It's like 89.95 plus all the BS telco fees for phone and 3/768k dsl. That doesn't hold a candle to SECV's 25/2 speed.

Also I despise their business practices. In the IT field I work with them, Windstream and Comcast, and by far Verizon is the worst. Comcast enterprise is actually the best and their metro-e fiber products undercut all the area telco's every single time I get competitive quotes.

SECV should offer Metro-E fiber to the business service. They need to offer Internet, Ethernet virtual circuit and Ethernet Private line point to points. They should offer this from 10mbps to 1gbps using managed Ciena optical transport gear like Comcast. Could be a big money maker signing businesses with 3 and 5 year contracts.
luckydriver
Reading, PA

luckydriver to Jed1

to Jed1
took 2 months of me complaining to windstream but finally them and verizon came out to my house to smoke a peace pipe together. it was something. they agreed to run new lines from the pole and move the NID to the outside of my house. me having to be home for every service call is a real buzz kill. i just think the 'main line' my phone service is on is bad. its that simple and i'm sure their meters tell them that but they wont admit it to me.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Before I got phone with Service Electric I battled with Bell Atlantic which morphed into Verizon since 1996 over this antiquated phone line. I have reported them 4 times to the PUC but the PUC did nothing. The pole next to my house is owned by Verizon and it is rotting away. I have a big groove carved in the base from weed whacking the grass around the pole. PP&L told me that when the pole falls over Verizon will give it to them and then PP&L will replace it and then maintain it going forward.

I seen Direct TV again behind my house doing two installs yesterday. It is apparent that the SECV rate hike is not going over well. These two houses have elderly people so now SECV is losing their most reliable subscriber base.
The one lady told me that she switched because Turner Classic Movies is in an upper tier and she doesn't like all the sports channels in Classic cable.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

What's nice with DirecTV is all new installs are HD equipment going forward. So that lady tunes to TCM she will see it automatically in HD. Likely the elderly didn't have HD equipment with SECV, or if they did they never tuned the seperate and rediculously high numbered HD version.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to luckydriver

to luckydriver
I do know for a fact that corporate Verizon will not allow any replacement of any lines in PA. They will only patch them in order to keep service going for the people that want it.
If the line can not be fixed they will keep sending a tech until the customer gives up and goes to another provider.
There is about 5 people behind me that is having constant problems with their Verizon internet service. I see Verizon techs here on a weekly basis trying to patch the feeder line to their homes. All these people have satellite service so in the long run they will eventually have to go back to SECV for at least internet.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
The one install would be non HD as she is the one that wanted TCM on classic cable. She had a DTA from SECV and still has an analog TV. The other one I do not know what type of TVs they have in their home.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

What's nice with DirecTV is all new installs are HD equipment going forward.

BUT, you STILL have to pay for HD service to actually get anything in HD. (ie: "advanced receiver fee" that is charged for HD &/or DVR service) And LOTS of folks - particularly non-DVR subs - WILL still refuse to do that, making their "standard HD equipment" a moot point...
gutch
join:2003-01-16
USA

gutch to Jed1

to Jed1
Here is what I have been dealing with all morning. Is it them or me? Cable modem looks good. My gateway also seems fine.

Ping statistics for 75.97.32.1:
Packets: Sent = 251, Received = 171, Lost = 80 (31% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 3841ms, Average = 655ms

Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=2041ms TTL=254
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=206ms TTL=254
Request timed out.
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=369ms TTL=254
Request timed out.
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=173ms TTL=254
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=2061ms TTL=254
Request timed out.
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=2577ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=2072ms TTL=254
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=2061ms TTL=254
Request timed out.
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=547ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=1075ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=1074ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=856ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=1307ms TTL=254
Reply from 75.97.32.1: bytes=32 time=1173ms TTL=254
Request timed out.
Bonka
Tamaqua, PA

4 edits

Bonka

I get packetloss to that hop all the time. I don't know why, and I don't think I should, but it also doesn't SEEM to affect anything. But it's usually only a few percent, not something high like 31%.

My modem was restarting on Monday and Tuesday due to timeouts and I've had T3 timeouts since but no modem restarts until just now. They did send a tech and all he could do was check the line with his reader thing and replace 2 connections since he said they had some problems in other places with the connections I had. Swapping those has made no difference though. I'll be keeping track of the times my modem restarts from timeouts and contacting SECV again if it's bad again. I have no clue if this is affecting just me, people near me, or a wider area. 11:48am today was when my modem restarted from no responses.

What I don't get is that the connection is picked right back up and fine after the restart. There's a possibility my modem is at fault but I'm not buying another to find out it isn't.

Here's what the modem log looks like when this happens. Removed my MAC address just in case.

Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to gutch

to gutch
I did a couple of ping tests and I have no issues. The issue I am having is there is a power loss in the system some where and I lose internet and phone. It happened on Friday where I lost internet and phone for a minute or two. Same thing happened on Monday and at the same time of the day which is odd.

It looks like Bonka has the same issue as you and he is from Tamaqua. This would be a SECV issue. Call SECV or PTD and complain.
Jed1

Jed1 to Bonka

to Bonka
I severely doubt that it is a problem on your end as Gutch is having the same issue.
My problem is there seems to a very brief loss of power where internet and phone will go out and quickly come back on. This is on their end and it started the same time your problem did.
Keep hounding SECV or PTD to get this fixed.
Bonka
Tamaqua, PA

Bonka

I'm not sure Gutch and I are having the same issue. I experience 1-3% packetloss on that hop all the time while he's showing 31%. My modem has only restarted that one time today, although it has shown some of the T3 timeouts since then. While it could stem from the same issue, it doesn't seem we're experiencing the same problems. I'm in between Barnesville, Quakake, and Hometown and not actually in Tamaqua as well.
gutch
join:2003-01-16
USA

gutch to Jed1

to Jed1
I never have packet loss on this hop. It either works or it doesn't. It works well when it does though. I am not sure if it has something to do with the usage around me or not. It doesn't happen that often but when it does it makes me angry .