dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
« Copper clad steel VS pure copper coaxMy Cable Problems »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 27 · 28 · 29 · 30 · 31 · 32 · 33 ... 197 · 198 · 199 · next
Jed1
join:2012-01-14
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream

Re: Service Electric Cablevision News

Yes G4 SD and HD is still going here.
Jed1

1 edit

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I agree about missing the additional premium HD channels but I record all my shows from the main premium HD channels. The additional HD channels just show reruns of the main HD premiums.
I wonder with them moving the broadcast HD channels down to the mid band VHF section that they may add the premium HDs in the near future. I have been bugging them to add Encore HD.

I do not think SECV will give you any deal as I do believe the CSRs can not do that. Maybe you can get them to waive the installation fee for the whole home setup.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Ok well I got $50 off my DirecTV bill a month and a free Genie upgrade (record 5 shows at once and also do Picture in Picture).

So SECV blew it. Didn't offer the premiums in HD in time, no Oxygen, and didn't go with Tivo for their Multiroom solution. I'm with DirecTV for another 2 years.
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
14 and above is UHF and all my channels 17.1 and up to 21.2 are suffering severe blocking and signal dropouts. SD are OK for the "locals" and I'm doing a rescan on my Sony so I can get a signal level. The other two cheap TVs I have rescanned don't have diagnostics. More to follow.....

Tuned: 1815 seconds
RS Uncorrected: 4772
RS Corrected: 1085
Not very pretty.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
You do have to understand that SECV only has a limited amount of customers compared to Direct TV. SECV will never be able to compete with the big boys when it comes to teaser rates. If they do then they will fall victim to customers who play provider roulette.
The best thing to do when it comes to in home viewing hardware is to buy a TiVo Roamio and some minis. Yes there is a high upfront cost but it is worth it when it comes to performance. With the rewrite of the TiVo UI to Haxe program language, TiVo is now quickly moving forward with added features. They just added Android streaming and very shortly they will add Vudu and Amazon Prime streaming Apps.
It also looks like TiVo is asking the FCC to force the Sat operators to allow customer owned equipment to work with their systems. It will be great is they succeed.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

I know SECV has a lot of HD channels DirecTV doesnt; however a new bird "D14" is set to launch in December. Usually after 2-3 months of testing they can start putting content on it. Rumor is they want to have every channel they offer in HD (if it exists), by 2016. Reports say the new 5 tuner Genie is really fast, so I'm looking forward to it.

I thought about Tivo but I cannot take the up front investment. I did see they have a $0 down option for a $20 a month 2 year commitment option though.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to JoeKustra

to JoeKustra
Talked to SECV this morning and they are having problems with the HD channels through out the whole Mahanoy City system.

Actually channels 14 to 22 are mid band VHF on a cable system. If you go from 54MHz to 214MHz this is the RF channel order.
2,3,4,5,6,95,96,97,98,99,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,7,8,9,10,11,12,13. From there it jumps to 23 all the way up to 135 if it a 865MHz system or to 158 if it is a 1GHz system.

Note: channels 95,96,97 are the FM radio band and are rarely used because of ingress issues caused by local FM radio stations, In our system this will be from T102 in Pottsville and WMGH 105.5 in Tamaqua.
A problem in the old days was the audio of FM stations that operate at the bottom of the FM radio band would interfere with the audio on RF channel 6.

Note: The FDC (Forward data channel) or OOB frequency(Out of Band) is between channels 4 and 5. This is the frequency that carries the data to cable cards and cable boxes. You will see this when you view the CableCard diagnostics and will be 75.250MHz. If there is a lot of low band VHF noise then the CableCards and cable boxes will lose connection with the head end and will cease to function.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
You also can get the TiVo mini for $150 which includes lifetime service. People are getting the minis from Fry's for $88 and getting free lifetime service on them.
You also have to remember you can transfer recordings off of the TiVo to a hard drive for storage.
JoeKustra
join:2013-06-04
Ashland, PA

JoeKustra to Jed1

to Jed1
All fixed. Sorry that I didn't check the cable definition of "VHF". Back in the 60's I was a HAM on 6 meters in Philly. It would usually screw up OTA 3. I wish I could go back.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

With OTA RF 14-22 are at different frequencies and I think they are used for emergency communications or used to. I haven't really kept up on it since the analog shutdown.
They recently changed the emergency communications in the county to digital for fire, police, and ambulance.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Jed's right. The OTA RF 14 is somewhere around analog cable channel 64 ish or so. I remember if you hooked a cable TV to one of my portable TV's, there was a UHF band and a tuning up/down button to make a green line scroll across the screen. At the bottom the lines position would indicate the channel, and with CATV connected it would be the upper 60's channels in the lower portion of the UHF band.

That SECV antenna site in the woods does have power because I notice in the distance I see the red lights on the antenna blinking. Neither the new Berks County digital APCO P25 repeater and a cell phone tower next to it light up. Just SECV's. So it is a facility that is being used despite the 11 or more big DH Satellite manufactured dishes at the Birdsboro headend. Oh here's a video how they make those dishes:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· QZmFZMG0

Anyway I am excited in getting the Genie upgrade to record 5 things at once, and it is just replacing an HD box. I'm keeping the existing DVR so in actuality I will be able to record 7 things at once. With the way it works you can see all the recordings in one playlist. The DVR fees are per account, not per box so they rest assured me as long as I am replacing a box (not adding an additional), I will not see any increase in equipment fees.

Though it is nice to see SECV adding those HD channels. Hopefully they give you a bone and fill in the rest of the premiums, and the few Encores that have HD counterparts like Action, Indieplex HD, RetroPlex HD, and more. I am always hearing commercials for "S E C V High speed internet" on Pandora radio on the drive to/from work.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I just told my dad last night they added Sportsman and WFN HD. He was stoked. Although, I can't believe they never had these before.

I mean, hell, they live in the middle of the country. LOL. Every man, woman and child is out in the creek with a shotgun.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by SeattleMatt:

I just told my dad last night they added Sportsman and WFN HD. He was stoked. Although, I can't believe they never had these before.

I mean, hell, they live in the middle of the country. LOL. Every man, woman and child is out in the creek with a shotgun.

Yeah that's why Blue Ridge cable has those in HD. It's all that Pocono's wilderness hunting type stuff.

I guess thats why these were added before staples like HBO2/Sig/Comedy/Family and the other screens of Max/Sho/TMC/Encore.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Interesting video on sat dish manufacturing. I did a rescan of the in the clear Qam channels this morning and the HD channels did not show up on the scan. At 17.1 and 17.2 I ended up with channels 47.1 and 47.2 which are scrambled.
I had to manually add the channels to the Qam list.
It looks like the mpeg header data is missing for these channels. This is a big goof up by SECV.

I wish TiVo would have a combined DVR list so I do not have to look at a different menu to see what is on my other TiVo. I do know this is a much asked for feature by TiVo users.

I have been constantly asking for the additional premiums. I would settle for Encore HD for the time being.

I have just been told that SECV is being killed with sub losses and they have no way of over coming the loss. They have their back against the wall money wise and if they give teaser rates just to get new subs the older subs end up getting mad and leave. To many in their service area are hurting financially. I also understand they are going to start strictly enforcing the bandwidth cap.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

I have not yet had time to do any scans because a full scan takes a long time on my TV. Usually I can just type the top number without the decimal point and it updates just that number.

Yeah the DirecTV Multiroom shows all recordings in one single big playlist. On the DVR in the setup menu you can choose to share the playlist or keep it private. You can also prevent deleting if you want, but by default its wide open. The only thing is there is no single unified management. So you won't be able to tell what DVR that series recording is setup on. You would have to go from room to room to look at individual to do lists and manage the priorities. Currently the workaround is an Excel spreadsheet or maybe an app like Evernote on your phone just to keep track of what you setup where.

Like I always said, I would have preferred going with the local company since they are real local people and it helps contribute to the bottom line local economy. Because of that, I keep looking back and hoping they provide a competitive offering so I can make that switch. But for now I have to do whats best for me and it looks like SECV has 2 years to fill those gaps until I can re-evaluate them again. For me, they should of:
-Went Tivo T6 (Roamio) Multi-Room DVR solution with Tivo Stream

-Added all the premium channels in HD MPEG4. Maybe even consider adding all the EPIX SD/HD's if the price is right.

-Add Oxygen HD, Audience Network HD (Likely never to happen since its DirecTV Exclusive)

-Unified the channel lineup like Time Warner - If the box is set to HD it displays the channel in HD. No separate HD numbers.

-24x7 support. Don't care if after hours is outsourced by a third party, but they need VPN to the system to send hits and all that.

-HD-DTA's that tune the standard 2-99 lineup IN HD ie) Channel 3 shows up in full HD on it. You shouldn't have to put it on 503... thats the point of an HD-DTA, to see HD. If you don't want HD, you get a regular DTA.

-iPad/iPhone app to schedule DVR, manage it, watch a handful of live TV or watch recordings. Though if they went with Tivo I believe this could have been provided by Tivo.

-Get rid of that stupid 2002 era I-Guide. Even Passport DCT / Passport Echo is nicer.

-Allow you to change your package online without having to speak to a rep on the phone.

DirecTV pretty much accomplishes all that, minus the Tivo part, though the Genie is compatible with 5 tuners but then they also add PIP functionality. As for DirecTV's missing "general HD" channels like Sprout, Oxygen, We, Fuse, Nick Jr, Nick Toons, MTV2, HSN, etc... The new "D14" Satellite will be launched in December, tested for a few months and then after that there will be plenty of bandwidth available to fill those gaps. At some point the number of HD channels is going to be moot, because they basically want to carry everything they have current agreements with, in HD if it is broadcasting in HD by 2016.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

Well, at least they're (still) adding more new (HD) channels - even if they are NOT premiums &/or more "mainstream":

Effective Tuesday, October 7th, the following channels have been added to the SECV channel lineup:

1. BBC World News (HD & SD)
2. World Fishing Network (HD & SD)
3. Sportsman Channel HD
4. QVC Plus (HD & SD)

All QAM Tuner customers must rescan your TV(s) to get the most updated channel positions. Please contact your local office at 877.955.SECV for assistance.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
they are also starting to move to MPEG4 only (still some time off but new subs can't get SD only boxes now)
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I am going to make a call in to SECV tomorrow as I tried my old RCA DLP and it has the same problem with the in the clear HD broadcast channels. It also looks like they have RF channel 47 mapping to RF 17.
I can add the missing QAM with Windows Media Center but I must remap RF 47 back to where it belongs before I try to add RF 17 to my line up. I suspect the MPEG header data is all wrong or missing for these channels. They also left two HD broadcast Qams at RF 93 which have duplicates at RF 20.

Also I recorded one of the lowest download speeds since I have internet with them. At 10:11 PM on Wednesday night I had a down load speed of 1.19 down and 1.83 up. I have the 30/2 speed package. Even the employees are seeing seriously reduced speeds in the evening.
This nonsense started in the beginning of August when the caps started. I wonder if SECV internet customers are moved down in the priority list and see reduced speeds to make room for higher priority customers in the evening.

I doubt if they will make any of the changes you are looking for. I have been on them to even make the HD lineup standard and eliminate the charge for it but none of the suggestions go anywhere.
They even have mistakes on the channel line ups posted on their website as Tribune has moved some channels to the wrong location in my guide. Now I have to turn in another channel lineup change to move the channels back to their original location but I have to get SECV to correct the mistakes to their channel lineups on their website first.
Ever since the rate hike in July it seems this company is sliding backwards as nothing seems to get done right.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Jed1, Good luck getting the rep on the phone to understand what you are talking about! As soon as you start spewing RF numbers or QAM or any of that, they will think your talking in another language.

My Internet has usually been good down here. Though the upstream is still the low man on the totem pole, QPSK modulation (across 3 channels though) so the most I can ever get up is 1.98 mbps. I did see on their facebook page a few different posters asking for more upload to match Comcast or Fios levels. They do respond back that they are looking into it. Ok we'll see.

My new 2 year contract with DirecTV started yesterday, as my 5 tuner HR44 genie DVR was installed. So SECV has until 10/10/2016 to at least cross off a few of the items on my wishlist, and then maybe I will make the switch as my new contract bill credits will be expiring and I will be back in the market to shop around at that time. I understand the Tivo thing may not pan out as they likely have signed a multi-year contract with Arris to be the exclusive 6 tuner solution... but maybe Arris will make some advancements to that software to bring it up to speed. Track record so far says "don't hold your breath". If the AT&T/DirecTV merger goes through, who knows where AT&T will take the company. If they really run it into the ground, SECV could welcome back a few customers in a few years time.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

I doubt there will be any change in the next two years. With the merger it will make it worse for SECV as Direct TV will have a much larger install base and will be able to offer a lot higher teaser and retention deals.
Even in your case when your contract is up they will offer you something for free for a year and SECV will not be able to offer you the same thing. There is a trend starting that a lot of smaller cable companies are starting to move away from TV as it is becoming unprofitable for them.
You also have to remember that Arris bought Moxi around 5 years ago and has done nothing to change the UI which is the same one that Moxi won awards for in 2008. For SECV the Moxi UI is brand new and will be new for them for the next ten years or so. They only have a few of the Arris units installed and they are having problems with them.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Your right. And I guess Arris thought since the UI won an award back in 08', why change it.

It's a major award, isn't it!

Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

What did Ralphy say "it glowed of electric sex".

The sad thing is Arris is selling it to cable companies so a 6 year old UI is really new to them especially if they are still running the old IGuide. Even PassPort Echo was developed in 2005 but at least it is newer than the IGuide.
Most cable subscribers also will think the same thing as it is something different than what they were always used to.

I talked to SECV today as they have an error in their channel lists on their website. They could not comprehend that the Arris uses Tribune for the guide service which is the same as TiVos.
At least I got them to change it so I will notify Tribune to fix the error in the guide data.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

I just realized they moved all the clearQAM HD channels from the upper 800 MHz area on channels 128-133 down to 17-22. I do see QVC Plus HD on 131 now. Also some encrypted stuff on RF23-26 now which wasn't occupied before.

I'll run a wide band frequency sweep to see what's open. Maybe some repositioning was done if people with poor quality cables or splitters were having trouble with channels high up in the 800 MHz band.

I also want to check if some of the newly occupied frequencies are just relocates from stuff around DOCSIS. It's always possible they moved things to have room for 16 consecutive DOCSIS channels for the future.
cypherstream

cypherstream

MVM

Click for full size
54-870 MHz
Ok I have the 54-870 MHz plot done in RTLSDR Scanner. I can pan around zoom in and out and see more detail than the exported image here. At least this gives you a quick visual.

In Birdsboro there is a gap between 192-198 MHz, 235-250 MHz, 640-705 MHz, 845-858 MHz. The low VHF looks noisy, but that's channel 2's color bars and the 74 MHz box drivers. It does seem like besides those, its open till 130 MHz, so RF Ch 3-15. Remember like you said it goes 2-6,95,96,97,98,99,14-22, then channel 7 is after that (where SD basic digital start here). So really we have color bars on 2, then its blank until color bars on 16, then we have HD Digital on 17-22, then SD basic digital starts on RF's 7-9.

Plenty of space for HD premiums, especially in MPEG4 format.
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
RF 122-130 is now empty. They moved the premium HD channels down to RF 11-13. At RF 130 is 2 HDs, RF 131 is 9 SDs, RF 132 is 3 HDs, and RF 134 is 2 HDs.
The broadcast HDs are now at RF 17-21.

The empty parts of the bandwidth that I can see is RF 2-6, 14-16, 31, 36-38, 58, 93, 95-99, 122-130, 133, and 135.
106-113 is the VOD bandwidth and 114-121 is the 8 downstream internet channels.

The bulk of the HD channels are in the 38-78 range and are two to each channel. These channels also have two HDs each 10-13, 29, 80, 90, 100-105, 130, 132, and 134. 132 has three HDs.

The in the clear SDs are at 7-9, 23-25, 30, and 32-35.

The encrypted SDs are at 26-28, 79-91, 94, and 131.
Jed1

Jed1 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Is the RTLSDR Scanner a free program? What else does it require?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Its free. Just need this dongle:
»www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-D ··· =RTL+SDR

And an adapter to be able to hook a coax into:
»www.amazon.com/coaxial-c ··· 6BS6E3G2

Off coax, get SDR# program for free and listen to things like police, fire, etc...
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

Thanks, I do have on board TV and FM radio tuners in both my Windows 7 PCs that I currently use with WMC. I had a four tuner CableCard tuner that I used in my one PC. I experimented with extenders for TV viewing at other locations in my home. I had no problem with this but it was to difficult for other people in my home to use. After that is when I tried the 3 tuner Moxi with mate but returned it when I found out Arris bought Digeo.

Could I just use the software with the tuners in my Win 7 PC or do I need the device you listed?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

I'm pretty sure you need the device I listed (or one with the same chip). There's an exploit to the chip that allows software to fully control it. »rtlsdr.org/ has a little more info.

In fact this is listed as a DVB-T / FM dongle, which could work to bring in digital video in European countries with the DVB-T standard. In the U.S. for its advertised function it has no use since we use ATSC. But some crafty programmers found a neat use as a wideband scanner.

Here's a getting started video on it:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· EYEyrRgk
Jed1
Frackville, PA

Jed1

I will have to look into this as it will be a great to find any stray signals in my neighborhood. I will order from the companies that are fulfilled by amazon as the rest look like they ship from china and Taiwan.