All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to geobrick

to geobrick

Re: KNBC SD (Standard Definition) Squeezed Again (Anamorphic)

I just checked again and I am now seeing the "squeezed" look on KNBC-SD FiOS channel 4 as displayed in the prior post. I have a 7232 STB. All other SD channels display correctly. This is the only channel that displays the 16x9 squeezed into the normal SD area on my 16x9 TV.
geobrick
join:2008-06-01

geobrick

Exactly. Even when channel 4 is viewed using an HD box through an HD TV, it's still squeezed into a 4:3 size. But at least on an HD TV, you can change the display mode if you want.
Of course, I don't need channel 4 on an HDTV because I can watch channel 504 in real HD (or use the over the air antenna input).
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to PJL

to PJL
This may not be related, but the only Standard Def channel I have come across that truly fills the screen (just like a HD channel) , but is not as clear of course, is channel 317 WFN.

When watching this in SD, the channel does not have any black boarders around it, like all the rest of the SD channel I watch and know of. MY SD override is set to OFF, btw.

IDK if the channel provider chooses to broadcast this way, but to me, it just seems odd that it is the only one SD channel to do this.

If anyone has this channel in their subscription, check for yourself and get back to me. You will know what I am talking about.

this could be put in to a new thread, but...Also, just to put it out there: I wonder if when there is finally a Ultra HD channel available , will HD channels be shown like this WFN Standard Def channel is, full screen just blurrier than it's HD equivalent, with no black boarders around it. Or will there be black boarders around HD channels on a Ultra HD tv set? Just like SD is when watching on a HDTV.

I guess that is a question reserved for when these channels become mainstream.