Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Lawn mower spark plug question

Grass is greening up and my front yard needed cutting so I went to Sears and picked up a tune-up kit (includes spark plug, filter, oil, and fuel stabilizer) and got home and tuned up the mower. My lawn mower is a 2009 craftsman with a Briggs platinum 675 engine. I bought the kit and changed the oil, spark plug, and filter and then refueled the mower (spilling fuel in the process as I forgot to release the pressure on the gas cans and it was one of the 5 gallon cans I store generator fuel in so I mopped it up with paper towels and let it sit for ten minutes so the remaining fuel could evaporate) and one yank of the ripcord and it started.

I did not gap the spark plug as I thought it was pre gapped at the factory as it was part of a tune-up kit marketed for craftsman mowers but then I looked at the package and it says to gap at .30 for pre-2011 engines.

My question is there any harm from not gapping a spark plug.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

Dup post

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to IowaCowboy

Depends what's the gap out of the package.... Too large or small, and it won't throw a spark at the expected point in the compression stroke, and would run rough, or not at all...

If it's running, sounds smooth, and seems to be making decent power; you're probably good to go...

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to IowaCowboy

It's obviously gapped correctly (or close enough). You mentioned nothing about it running poorly so presumably it is running just fine...

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to IowaCowboy

I just did a tuneup on my Toro which has a Briggs 190cc 6.75 ft/lb. engine. I bought a new plug, air filter, blade, etc. The plug was pre-gapped and worked fine right out of the package. I checked it with a gap tool but found it was dead-on.

You are probably fine.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to IowaCowboy

I've got a gap gage as well, hardly ever get to us it.

The few plugs I've tried it on are dead on. B&S Honda too.