how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joeg5624

join:2013-04-28
Worcester, MA

Insurance fraud please help

I was stopped at a stop sign when i got rare ended by someone. The cops was not involved because i was in a hurry so he gave me his registration and i wrote down the insurer,name,address,plate number,year,make and model on the paper. His insurer came to estimate my car and it is totaled. His insurer is trying to get in reach with him but he is not picking up. i am worried that he might go and try to fix his damage and deny the accident before he picks up. If so do you think his insurer will believe it happened because how would i get all his information and pictures. and whats the worst that could happen if i got full coverage. would my insure pay for my totaled lost?

im just worried that he will say it never happened and i will not get nothing from either side of insurers ..it happened at a food market with a camera right where it happened

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit

I dont know much about insurance, but I do know, if you have something called uninsured driver or something to that effect, you should be covered by your own insurance if the other guy doesn't have it.

edit: Think its called Uninsured Motorist.

NEVER LEAVE THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT BEFORE THE COPS COME
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
reply to joeg5624

said by joeg5624:

im just worried that he will say it never happened and i will not get nothing from either side of insurers ..it happened at a food market with a camera right where it happened

Have you talked to the people who own the camera yet about obtaining the footage from the time of the accident?

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
reply to joeg5624

So, at this point, the "insurance fraud" is all in your head?

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to joeg5624

Three things come to mind:

1. We're not talking about a bumper kiss here. If you get hit bad enough to total your car but can't be bothered to report it to the police, then you have some seriously messed up priorities. You don't deserve to get ripped off, but if you do, congratulations...you contributed to your own loss. If you are not going to call police, at the very least take pictures and get names of any witnesses. In some states it's illegal not to report serious accidents.

2. His insurer has already acknowledged the damage so it is almost impossible for the other guy to backpedal and deny involvement. If he does, he's already committed insurance fraud by filing a false report.

3. His insurer owes you money. That's all you should care about. Whether or not the guy returns calls is not your problem. He's their client, not yours. You should push them settle your claim and let them deal with the disappearing act on their own time.

I think you will be ok, but jeeze dude, never drive away from a serious accident without some kind of documentation. Good luck...

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to joeg5624

Did you take any pictures? You have a cell phone don't you?
If HIS insurance came then I would imaging he is already on the hook. As far as cops coming, they tell you nowadays, if the cars are drive able and no one is injured go about you way but file a report asap, but you're saying it considered total, seems like it was a big accident, or the car's value isn't that great. Call the manager of the store and ask if there is footage.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

2 recommendations

reply to joeg5624

Considering what it costs to get a car repaired, it may very well be the car was totaled even if it wasn't a major accident. A car worth a couple of thousand dollars won't sustain a whole lot of damage before it would considered totaled.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

said by javaMan:

Considering what it costs to get a car repaired, it may very well be the car was totaled even if it wasn't a major accident. A car worth a couple of thousand dollars won't sustain a whole lot of damage before it would considered totaled.

+1!

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to joeg5624

If the OP Insurance is not able to reach them, they will end up sending a summons to have them appear in court or at their office, then take it from there.

Most will settle when it comes to the point that they cannot get the OP to cooperate. You really at this point should be talking to a lawyer, for your rights, due to the third party is being uncooperative with the insurance companies.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to gatorkram

said by gatorkram:

That's ridiculous. Most accidents don't require the police. Nor should people leave their cars in the middle of the street as if they're preserving evidence or something. The first thing you do after an accident is move your cars somewhere safe and away from traffic.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA

said by ctggzg:

said by gatorkram:

That's ridiculous. Most accidents don't require the police. Nor should people leave their cars in the middle of the street as if they're preserving evidence or something. The first thing you do after an accident is move your cars somewhere safe and away from traffic.

Completely different than leaving the scene of an accident.

@OP: The next time you are involved in a motor vehicle incident, regardless of fault, call 9-1-1 and standby for a police officer to take the crash report.
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
Check out my blog: »www.johndball.com

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

said by old_tech:

You really at this point should be talking to a lawyer, for your rights, due to the third party is being uncooperative with the insurance companies.

This is a complete waste of money unless the insurance company becomes uncooperative. The lawyer is going to take a 3rd of any settlement. Especially in this case, when not injuries are involved. This settlement will only be for the value of the automobile.
said by exocet_cm:

@OP: The next time you are involved in a motor vehicle incident, regardless of fault, call 9-1-1 and standby for a police officer to take the crash report.

As stated by another poster earlier, in many cities, the police will not even respond if serious injuries are not part of the accident. They tell you to file a report online or in person. They don't want to bother with it.

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

Did not state anything about having the lawyer handle the case. Read again what I stated. There is no problem with the OP consulting with a lawyer, or even a legal service in their area. Most large universities have access for the public to consult with a lawyer or even a law student regarding questions.

As for taking a third of the settlement, totally incorrect, because it varies case by case as to what a lawyer may ask for during a settlement.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

. . .

said by exocet_cm:

As stated by another poster earlier, in many cities, the police will not even respond if serious injuries are not part of the accident. They tell you to file a report online or in person. They don't want to bother with it.

That's pretty much the case here in California. In fact, a guy ran into the back of my car 10 or 15 years ago. Nothing serious but it did smash up my rear bumper. I did call the police and when the officer showed up he stated he wasn't going to file a report. He said he would fill out a postcard with our information and it would be in the office for the insurance companies if they needed it. I can't remember whether he ticketed the other guy.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state

1 recommendation

reply to gatorkram

said by gatorkram:

I dont know much about insurance, but I do know, if you have something called uninsured driver or something to that effect, you should be covered by your own insurance if the other guy doesn't have it.

edit: Think its called Uninsured Motorist.

As much as I absoultely agree with this, unfortunately many cities like Los Angeles, police will not respond unless there are: injuries, City property involved, or hit and run/DUI. Non injury, they dont respond. However, you can go to the Police Station and file what's called a "Counter Report". Always call the police however.
--
No Victim=No Crime

wa2ibm
Premium
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

reply to joeg5624

Why are you bothering working with the other guys insurance company? You should call your own insurance company. They will pay for your loss then work with the other insurance company to get reimbursement.

Since it wasn't your fault, you won't get dinged on your driving record. Your insurance company will do all the footwork to get their money back. That's what you pay them for.
--
- Bill

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

said by javaMan:

+1!

Most police dept. will not come out unless someone is hurt.

As for the other insurance company. They have the right to fully investigate the claim. Most insurance companies will allow up to 30 days to contact there driver. If after that time, they do not provide a call back to them, they will base there decision on what they have to work with. I have never seen a insurance company not pay a claim due to no call back. (I spend 5 years doing claims like what you have)

On a side note why are you not working with your own insurance? If your car is a total loss, you would want them to review the claim. Reason is, you will get a settlement offer from them. And you can have the other insurance company do the same. This way you can go with who ever is the highest. MOST larger company's use the same value program, CCC, ADP, etc... But never hurts to check. Now days, every $$ counts.

If you don't have full coverage, SOME states have a coverage that allows you to file under your own policy without full coverage being added on. Just call your insurance company (not a agent) and ask them.

XIII

join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ
reply to Warzau

I did this with Costco and they gave it to me on DVD for free the next day.

XIII

join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ
reply to exocet_cm

At least have it logged. Call the non emergency number if they have one, get the police report number and then ask if you can leave if you really need to.
--
»FreeDNS.afraid.org - Free DNS dynamic DNS subdomain and domain hosting

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to joeg5624

Okay, OP, let me clarify. Call 9-1-1 and if your jurisdiction allows for taking a police report for a non-injury motor vehicle incident then file a report.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to primeomega

quote:
I would bet most cities DON'T do this - I can see the big cities doing this but smaller cities will do it routinely. Have yet to be in an accident where the police DIDN'T come to the accident - injuries or not. Only time police won't come out without injuries is if the accident is on private property like a parking lot.

State laws will probably define what the local jurisdictions can do...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

deftnotloged

@midco.net

All you have to do is call the insurance agent of the guy and your done... that agent will take care of the rest.

aanoonn

@optonline.net
reply to primeomega

said by primeomega:

Glad I don't live in those places. Around here, the police will respond to all motor vehicle accidents, because they know their job is to serve their citizens.

My insurance agent told me to call the police and to not move the car until the police come.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

reply to old_tech

said by old_tech:

If the OP Insurance is not able to reach them, they will end up sending a summons to have them appear in court or at their office, then take it from there.

Most will settle when it comes to the point that they cannot get the OP to cooperate. You really at this point should be talking to a lawyer, for your rights, due to the third party is being uncooperative with the insurance companies.

Sorry but this is 100% incorrect. I could go on and on about why but I'll just say, your own insurance company will not file suit and serve a summons on their own insured. What they _may_ do is reserve their right to deny their own insured coverage if he/she does not cooperate and they they _may_ deny coverage based on this. In effect, leaving the other party to file suit against the at fault party. If the carriers own insured then decides to cooperate, they will usually provide coverage (unless they can show they were harmed by the failure to cooperate.

I can tell you I've denied coverage on a lot of claims where my own insured decided he/she had better things to do then to pick up the phone and speak to me.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to deftnotloged

said by deftnotloged :

All you have to do is call the insurance agent of the guy and your done... that agent will take care of the rest.

Agents don't adjust claims. They can turn the claim into the carrier but then it's the carriers choice on how to address the loss.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to joeg5624

OP, as mentioned... if you have a cell phone you should _always_ simply snap some photos of the accident, the other person and their vehicle.

A police report is not required when their are no injuries. As mentioned, in many places the police may not even respond if no injuries. Both parties are required to exchange insurance and contact data.

It would be _very_ difficult for the other party to deny he/she was in an accident. As you mentioned, how else would you obtain that person's insurance info. What is more likely is that the other person may try to lie about what happen and say it was your fault. This is why photos of the accident are your best bet.

I'm not saying that the other person _will_ lie or even that his/her own carrier would believe a lie... but it is possible. Don't worry about that unless it happens.

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
reply to aanoonn

said by aanoonn :

said by primeomega:

My insurance agent told me to call the police and to not move the car until the police come.

If anyone gets hit while on the freeway and can drive your car out of the lane of traffic please move to the shoulder to wait for the cops or a tow truck.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to joeg5624

You did not say when this happened. I would advise to just chill and see what the other Insurance comes up with as to value.

In the meantime put the nervous energy in doing your own research as to the value of your vehicle. KBB, Edmunds, NADA and so on. Find comparables online - newspaper online ads, Craigslist, cars.com, autotrader and such for your area.

I have been on both sides of the fence, professionally and personally.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to exocet_cm

said by exocet_cm:

said by ctggzg:

said by gatorkram:

And if they refuse?

I recently found that my car had suffered a hit and run and the police flat refused to come take a report.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to exocet_cm

said by exocet_cm:

said by ctggzg:

said by gatorkram:

Here in Texas and I suspect other places it would be considered illegal use of 911 if there is not a life threatening emergency.

Best to call the local police dept. non-emergency line.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.