Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

1 edit

gatorkram to joeg5624

Premium Member

to joeg5624

Re: Insurance fraud please help

I dont know much about insurance, but I do know, if you have something called uninsured driver or something to that effect, you should be covered by your own insurance if the other guy doesn't have it.

edit: Think its called Uninsured Motorist.

NEVER LEAVE THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT BEFORE THE COPS COME
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 recommendation

ctggzg

Premium Member

said by gatorkram:

That's ridiculous. Most accidents don't require the police. Nor should people leave their cars in the middle of the street as if they're preserving evidence or something. The first thing you do after an accident is move your cars somewhere safe and away from traffic.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

said by ctggzg:

said by gatorkram:

That's ridiculous. Most accidents don't require the police. Nor should people leave their cars in the middle of the street as if they're preserving evidence or something. The first thing you do after an accident is move your cars somewhere safe and away from traffic.

Completely different than leaving the scene of an accident.

@OP: The next time you are involved in a motor vehicle incident, regardless of fault, call 9-1-1 and standby for a police officer to take the crash report.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by old_tech:

You really at this point should be talking to a lawyer, for your rights, due to the third party is being uncooperative with the insurance companies.

This is a complete waste of money unless the insurance company becomes uncooperative. The lawyer is going to take a 3rd of any settlement. Especially in this case, when not injuries are involved. This settlement will only be for the value of the automobile.
said by exocet_cm:

@OP: The next time you are involved in a motor vehicle incident, regardless of fault, call 9-1-1 and standby for a police officer to take the crash report.

As stated by another poster earlier, in many cities, the police will not even respond if serious injuries are not part of the accident. They tell you to file a report online or in person. They don't want to bother with it.

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

Did not state anything about having the lawyer handle the case. Read again what I stated. There is no problem with the OP consulting with a lawyer, or even a legal service in their area. Most large universities have access for the public to consult with a lawyer or even a law student regarding questions.

As for taking a third of the settlement, totally incorrect, because it varies case by case as to what a lawyer may ask for during a settlement.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan to Msradell

MVM

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

. . .

said by exocet_cm:

As stated by another poster earlier, in many cities, the police will not even respond if serious injuries are not part of the accident. They tell you to file a report online or in person. They don't want to bother with it.

That's pretty much the case here in California. In fact, a guy ran into the back of my car 10 or 15 years ago. Nothing serious but it did smash up my rear bumper. I did call the police and when the officer showed up he stated he wasn't going to file a report. He said he would fill out a postcard with our information and it would be in the office for the insurance companies if they needed it. I can't remember whether he ticketed the other guy.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

1 recommendation

billydunwood to gatorkram

to gatorkram
said by gatorkram:

I dont know much about insurance, but I do know, if you have something called uninsured driver or something to that effect, you should be covered by your own insurance if the other guy doesn't have it.

edit: Think its called Uninsured Motorist.

As much as I absoultely agree with this, unfortunately many cities like Los Angeles, police will not respond unless there are: injuries, City property involved, or hit and run/DUI. Non injury, they dont respond. However, you can go to the Police Station and file what's called a "Counter Report". Always call the police however.
XIII
Premium Member
join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ

XIII to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
At least have it logged. Call the non emergency number if they have one, get the police report number and then ask if you can leave if you really need to.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

said by ctggzg:

said by gatorkram:

And if they refuse?

I recently found that my car had suffered a hit and run and the police flat refused to come take a report.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to exocet_cm

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

said by ctggzg:

said by gatorkram:

Here in Texas and I suspect other places it would be considered illegal use of 911 if there is not a life threatening emergency.

Best to call the local police dept. non-emergency line.

Dave

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by workablob:

Here in Texas and I suspect other places it would be considered illegal use of 911 if there is not a life threatening emergency.

Dave

wow you make it sound like everyone has it in the speed dial ?

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

exocet_cm to burner50

Premium Member

to burner50
said by burner50:

And if they refuse?

I recently found that my car had suffered a hit and run and the police flat refused to come take a report.

Document with photos and video and notify your insurance company.
quote:
Not in Louisiana. Only if it is abused.
quote:
Glad I don't live in those places. Around here, the police will respond to all motor vehicle accidents, because they know their job is to serve their citizens.
Same here aanoonn. I've written so many crash reports over the years for minor things such as simple paint transfer. My job is to serve the public and this is one of our State's requirements.

Mannus
Premium Member
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN

Mannus to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

said by ctggzg:

said by gatorkram:

Here in my locality, the City PD will not do a crash report if it occurred on private property.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by workablob:

Dave

Shouldn't they?

Even if they don't it takes a whole couple of seconds to get it from 411 or Google.

Dave
Expand your moderator at work

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob

said by workablob:

said by Anonymous_:

said by workablob:

Dave

Shouldn't they?

Even if they don't it takes a whole couple of seconds to get it from 411 or Google.

Assuming that people are prepared.

Alas, most people suck at being prepared.

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob
I have the local PD non-emergency number and our NPO (Neighborhood Police Officer) number on my phone. Everyone should have the non-emergency number and the NPO in their cellphone, or programmed into their home phone if they still have one.
Expand your moderator at work

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram

said by gatorkram:

In some locals (mine being one), if there's an accident with no damage requiring medical care, and physical damage under a certain amount, the cops will not come. You're supposed to do your own paperwork management.

That being said, I would have exchanged information and snagged pictures, even in a hurry. They might go off and fix their car, but kind of hard to deny a series of pictures with one car inside the other.
28727686 (banned)
join:2013-04-08

28727686 (banned)

said by Thaler:

said by gatorkram:

In some locals (mine being one), if there's an accident with no damage requiring medical care, and physical damage under a certain amount, the cops will not come. You're supposed to do your own paperwork management.

That being said, I would have exchanged information and snagged pictures, even in a hurry. They might go off and fix their car, but kind of hard to deny a series of pictures with one car inside the other.

In some states the cops will give both people a ticket if they arrive and there's no injuries or property damage. I know a few people who that happened to in Florida. It sounds like California is similar.

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers to workablob

Mod

to workablob

(topic move) Insurance fraud please help

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 15 followups to it), have been removed.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to ctggzg

Premium Member

to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

said by gatorkram:

I was in an accident before and i was always taught to move my vehicle. I did the right thing and moved my car out of the turning area so traffic could flow again. The cop showed up and cited me because i moved my car and he couldnt really see what happened. The girl hit me from the back and was" thankful this happened because already running late to her work, and would be fired being late again" Needless to say because i was cited my insurance company ended up paying this girl.

tldr. Cops gave me a ticket for moving my car.
28727686 (banned)

28727686 (banned)

said by slckusr:

said by ctggzg:

said by gatorkram:

I was in an accident before and i was always taught to move my vehicle. I did the right thing and moved my car out of the turning area so traffic could flow again. The cop showed up and cited me because i moved my car and he couldnt really see what happened. The girl hit me from the back and was" thankful this happened because already running late to her work, and would be fired being late again" Needless to say because i was cited my insurance company ended up paying this girl.

tldr. Cops gave me a ticket for moving my car.

That's crazy. In Florida if the cops show up and you're in the road you get cited no questions asked unless you're injured or the car is undriveable.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron to slckusr

Premium Member

to slckusr
said by slckusr:

Needless to say because i was cited my insurance company ended up paying this girl.

I guess I'm not clear on the "needless" part because you're telling us that you were cited for moving your car after the accident.

Unless I'm missing something, your being cited for moving your car after the accident wouldn't appear to change who was at fault in the original accident.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to 28727686

MVM

to 28727686
said by 28727686:

said by Thaler:

said by gatorkram:

In some states the cops will give both people a ticket if they arrive and there's no injuries or property damage. I know a few people who that happened to in Florida. It sounds like California is similar.

Not surprising for states/cities with large populations. Smaller cities and less states populous states will be different.
28727686 (banned)

28727686 (banned)

said by CylonRed:

Not surprising for states/cities with large populations. Smaller cities and less states populous states will be different.

It's a money thing. If a cop has to come out that costs money. If they aren't needed someone has to pay. By not moving out of traffic you caused a traffic jam. How many hundreds or thousands of people did you cost money/time? It makes perfect sense to GTFO of the way provided there is no injuries and the vehicle(s) are driveable. Now that cop can respond to a burglary or real emergency.

I think it has to do with "No Fault" laws.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to slckusr

Premium Member

to slckusr
That sucks in Illinois it says you have to move your car if it is drive able (625 ILCS 5/11-404) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-404)
Sec. 11-404 If a damaged vehicle is obstructing traffic lanes, the driver of the vehicle must make every reasonable effort to move the vehicle or have it moved so as not to block the traffic lanes.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to gatorkram

to gatorkram
said by gatorkram:

I was in an accident in chicago before.
The 911 people said if the cars are driveable they will not send anyone out and that I could drive to the police station to file a report.

It was a joke.
Oh_No

Oh_No to ctggzg

to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

If the other person is at fault, then you fight to keep the cars there so a cop can come and see the layout and write the person a ticket or write on the ticket who he saw was at fault or if the person admits it is their fault.

Now if the accident is your fault, then of course you will gladly move your car to a safe spot and deny everything and you would rather the cops not show up.

Shadow
@169.153.203.x

Shadow

Anon

I can say that here in Florida if you can drive your car you have to move off the road or you WILL get a ticket, as for using 911 I called after my last accident and no one gave me any fuss over it they sent a State Trooper out who took down all the information and in Florida if you are at fault for an accident you have to be cited so the at fault driver received a citation and my car was towed and never heard from again (totalled).