how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Alarm monitoring cost

I'm considering installing an alarm system in my new home. I've looked at the major national alarm companies and seems like everyone wants to charge you on a per door or window cost (not talking about installation but monitoring). My house will have quite a few doors and windows and I don't really see why it should cost anymore for them to provide monitoring, eg, for 2 doors to my patio versus 1. Should I be able to get a better deal with a local company or do all alarm companies nickel and dime you to death on a per device cost? (Again, not talking about install cost as I get each device costs money)

AlarmGuy

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO
I have worked in the alarm industry for the last decade in various roles. You would not pay a monitoring fee based on a device count--I have never seen this before. You typically pay a basic monitoring fee for burglar alarm response (19.99-30.99) then pay for additional services, e.g. extended service plan, fire monitoring, cellular backup, etc.

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo

join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA
reply to biochemistry
I bought my equipment form these guys and they offer monitoring too.. I don't see anything there about additional cost per sensor.

»www.homesecuritystore.com/alarm-···cing.htm

twodogs

join:2001-08-17
Pahrump, NV
reply to biochemistry
I settled on Alarm Relay for monitoring my alarm, I have used them for three years now, and I am very happy with their service. They charge $8.95 per month and they offer the same level of service that I had when I used ADT.
»www.alarmrelay.com/

PM me if you want more info.
--
Madness takes its toll...
Please have exact change.

Alarmed

@optonline.net
reply to biochemistry
Go with a local company. You'll probably save 30-50%. e.g., ADT charges extra for smoke monitoring, my local company doesn't. The owner told me that fire monitoring doesn't cost him any extra, so he's not going to charge his customers extra.

Also avoid the "free" alarm system with a 3-5 year contract.

And make sure you own the hardware.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to biochemistry
As Alarmed said, go with a local company instead of one of the national ones. They will provide better service at a more reasonable price. The national companies also want to install a package system, even though it may not be the best fit for your home. Local companies will develop the best system for your needs.

Like the others, I've never heard of your monthly fee being based on the number of doors and windows!

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to biochemistry
I just renewed my contract with my current home alarm monitoring service....www.myalarmcenter.com

I ended up getting a $25 / monthly with system maintenance, 2 free months, an $89 installed cell unit that I need to pay so I can cut my landline for a term of 4 years. I've been with them since 2007 and was my local company's monitoring partner since they installed the DSC system in my house when it was built in 2007.

I've got all the windows and doors with wired or wireless sensors, even windows in my 2nd floor rooms, which wasn't included initially. I got those as free upgrades when I first renewed my contract with them along with a bigger, louder siren that I installed in the attic.

I called a lot of local companies and compared prices. A lot of them were quoting $199 for the cell unit and a range of $29 - 35 / month for monitoring.

a friend of mine went with frontpointsecurity and bought a configured system of how he wants it and pays $45 monthly with all the bells and whistles...iphone access and all that....

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to biochemistry
I have had 2 different national companies in the past and they were a flat monitoring fee. ADT and Brinks. Now I have a local company where I am at. They are still a flat fee. Per sensor is a new one on me.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA
kudos:1
reply to twodogs
said by twodogs:

I settled on Alarm Relay for monitoring my alarm, I have used them for three years now, and I am very happy with their service. They charge $8.95 per month and they offer the same level of service that I had when I used ADT.
»www.alarmrelay.com/

PM me if you want more info.

I used this for a few years as well, it's only $8.95 the first year with a $30 setup fee, $9.95 the second year and 10.95 each year after. Check your last payment.

That's for POTS monitoring only, also.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to biochemistry
Initially I had POTS monitoring (actually using my AT&T UVerse line which had issues in and of itself) and paid about $20/month. I eventually upgraded to a cellular unit and paid about $30/month for monitoring. I went with a local company.

I was not charged per device or door, or motion sensor. I was just charged for the service (burglar, smoke, fire).
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3
I work in the security industry, we offer 5 types of monitoring, but they cover all installed devices with no extra charge for types of hardware.

POTS Line
Internet (Smart Phone etc.)
Mesh Radio
Cellular
(Combination of any type)

Honestly the one I prefer is the mesh radio system.
It is the fastest of all types, and has redundancy communication lines, and does not refer on cellular or internet. Also the system will outlast the security system for days when on battery power.
--
Getting it Done.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to twodogs
I signed up with alarm relay a few months ago and paid about $130 for the first year, including a $30 setup fee for POTS monitoring. This company replaced my local alarm company of 22 years who was charging me ~$300 year for a panel I owned.

So far so good. Very professional setup with a phone call that took about 20 minutes.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

AlarmGuy

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO
reply to Daarken
said by Daarken:

Honestly the one I prefer is the mesh radio system.
It is the fastest of all types, and has redundancy communication lines, and does not refer on cellular or internet. Also the system will outlast the security system for days when on battery power.

We used to install the Radionics Fast link and AES intellinet, but got away from it. Currently we install alot of DMP and I really like the IP prime with cell backup combination.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3
AES intellinet is the one we use.. whats up with the DMP?
--
Getting it Done.

TheSMJ

join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI
reply to Drex
How are you guys finding local companies? When I Google it, all I end up with are local ADT resellers.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA
reply to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

I signed up with alarm relay a few months ago and paid about $130 for the first year, including a $30 setup fee for POTS monitoring. This company replaced my local alarm company of 22 years who was charging me ~$300 year for a panel I owned.

So far so good. Very professional setup with a phone call that took about 20 minutes.

I can attest to their reliablity. I had a home invasion a couple years ago and hit the panic button and within 13 seconds (according to the logs), and police showe dup promptly.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to TheSMJ
said by TheSMJ:

How are you guys finding local companies? When I Google it, all I end up with are local ADT resellers.

Some times a phone book with Yellow Pages works wonders ...LOL...
--

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
said by pende_tim:

said by TheSMJ:

They still send those out? LOL We do not get one because we do not have a Verizon landline.

TheSMJ

Farmington, MI
reply to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

said by TheSMJ:

I don't have one.
Good thing too. Terrible waste of paper in this day and age.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
Ever visit the local library? They have them.

Not so much a waste of paper as, at least here, the waste company takes them as recycle.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to biochemistry
I bought my system (DSC Alexor) from HomeSecurityStore.com, installed it than I had a local alarm company take it over. I pay $25 per month to have it monitored through a company that is just over the bridge in Ludlow (MA).

Many times, instead of mailing the check, I just go to their office to pay as it is on the way to the grocery store and there is a bus stop right across the street by the Ludlow library.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

TheSMJ

Farmington, MI
reply to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

Not so much a waste of paper as, at least here, the waste company takes them as recycle.

I ended up going to yellowpages.com.

Not to derail the thread, but paper cannot be recycled indefinitely. Eventually the fibers get too short and they're only useful for TP, which is of course single use. IMO the phone companies need to stop giving out phone books to everyone regardless of weather or not they want one, and instead give them the option to opt-in, or use their website. If anything, it would save the phone companies tons of money each year, since they can't recover the cost of printing/delivering them to people who drop them in the recycle bin the first chance they get.

One recycled phone book from this year =! one new phone book next year.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
said by TheSMJ:

said by pende_tim:

I ended up going to yellowpages.com.

Not to derail the thread, but paper cannot be recycled indefinitely. Eventually the fibers get too short and they're only useful for TP, which is of course single use. IMO the phone companies need to stop giving out phone books to everyone regardless of weather or not they want one, and instead give them the option to opt-in, or use their website. If anything, it would save the phone companies tons of money each year, since they can't recover the cost of printing/delivering them to people who drop them in the recycle bin the first chance they get.

One recycled phone book from this year =! one new phone book next year.

Not only that, but look at all the wasted energy for a phone book to be created then go directly to the recycle bin.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to biochemistry
I have a friend that has been robbed several times while away despite having an alarm system. The police eventually show up because the alarm company calls them, the police write a report, and then leave.

Alarm systems create a false sense of security. They don't prevent crime nor do they even help catch criminals after the fact.

If your goal is to *feel* secure, get an alarm but be aware that much of the service is a feeling.
If your goal is to catch a criminal that robs you, get a security camera system that records HD video.

TheSMJ

Farmington, MI
said by morbo:

I have a friend that has been robbed several times while away despite having an alarm system. The police eventually show up because the alarm company calls them, the police write a report, and then leave.

Alarm systems create a false sense of security. They don't prevent crime nor do they even help catch criminals after the fact.

If your goal is to *feel* secure, get an alarm but be aware that much of the service is a feeling.
If your goal is to catch a criminal that robs you, get a security camera system that records HD video.

I always thought that the big deterrent for home theft was the amount of attention the alarm to the house when it goes off, rather than the threat of the police (eventually) showing up. Same reason they steer clear of homes w/ dogs.

medbuyer

reply to morbo
said by morbo:

that's your opinion....

since I have mine pre-installed during building so I got it monitored.

When I get alerted because of the sound, my family knows what to do. I know I will have the chance of defending myself when an intruder comes in and I am home with my toy beside me. He's lucky if I'm not home. He can take whatever he wants, just don't hurt my family.

I am lucky also that our local policemen are doing their jobs and are able to recover stuff that thieves stole...a neighbor of mine had some things stolen from his garage and was returned and the guy captured. If you local policemen don't do that, I'd consider moving.

Besides, the home insurance savings pays for the monthly monitoring...

medbuyer

reply to TheSMJ
said by TheSMJ:

I always thought that the big deterrent for home theft was the amount of attention the alarm to the house when it goes off, rather than the threat of the police (eventually) showing up. Same reason they steer clear of homes w/ dogs.

the inside siren of most home alarm systems are easily disabled and can be ignored by the robber, it's the BIGGER attic mounted or hidden sirens are the ones that thieves will get scrambling to get out...

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to medbuyer
What's the purpose of having home insurance pay for monthly monitoring of when monitoring doesn't prevent crime? Added hassle day after day of entering the pin to disable and enable an alarm?

You'd be better off with an actual deterrent like a dog.

medbuyer

3 edits
said by morbo:

What's the purpose of having home insurance pay for monthly monitoring of when monitoring doesn't prevent crime? Added hassle day after day of entering the pin to disable and enable an alarm?

You'd be better off with an actual deterrent like a dog.

maybe doesn't prevent crime in your area but ours does....our insurance is low because we "proactively" prevent what we don't want to happen...instead of being "reactive" to that kind of situation where in too many cases are too late already.

and are you that lazy to punch in a 4 digit code once or twice a day? it's on your way out and lock the door when you go out. you can even arm and disarm an alarm now by pressing a button from a remote or smartphone.

I don't want a dog when I know I can't take care of it. The responsibilities of that are far greater than pressing 4 digits on a keypad.

lastly, it's .80 / day to monitor your house. your latte or morning breakfast costs more than that and even dog food / meds...even when bought from the grocery or vet...

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to TheSMJ
said by TheSMJ:

Not to derail the thread, but paper cannot be recycled indefinitely. Eventually the fibers get too short and they're only useful for TP, which is of course single use.

Wait...TP is single use? DOH!
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.