how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

p110011

join:2001-12-29
Oregon City, OR

[DISH] Mysterously Erasing my shows

VIP 722 DVR is set to record several weekly (new shows) series. I always delete shows I have watched, so the drive is definitely not full. I sometimes check what all has been recorded, like last night I saw I had 8 shows, now this morning a couple shows that were there last night are gone! This keeps happening, and I called in to Dish a week ago and this guy says it could be a scratched hard drive. He said he could just replace the box or have a "back door tech" as he called it, look at it from the network. So I elected to do the latter, but obviously nothing has changed.

I'm wondering if having the VIP replaced will cost me, as I don't have any protection plan.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
I replaced a Hopper. Dish mailed it to me and I did the install (no directions). I then mailed the old one back.

I do have the protection plan and it did not cost me anything. If a tech came out, it would be $15. No protection plan $90.

So ask if you do the install, what it will cost. It might be free.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

p110011

Oregon City, OR
Oh, I have no problem replacing a set-top, I just wonder if I have to pay for the box. This is my first time with Satellite.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by p110011:

Oh, I have no problem replacing a set-top, I just wonder if I have to pay for the box. This is my first time with Satellite.

My comment about no directions is in reference to the Hopper/Joey. It is not a clean swap (i.e. connect a cable or two).

With this setup and how the Hopper and Joey communicate requires some additional steps to get it all working. Dish does not tell you and the tech support folks did not have a clue.

I finally found a document that told me what to do.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

p110011

Oregon City, OR
reply to p110011
OK, in the end it cost me $7.00. I found out that it could have cost more,but how much, I don't know. Full cost replacement? The CSR allowed me to add the protection plan, (I can cancel in 4 months) and get another DVR under that.
Meanwhile, I lost two more recordings yesterday. (status of drive shows good)

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
Just for giggles lock the recorded program and see if it still gets deleted. I had a 211 with a external hard drive and did this and that stopped it. I know its to stop it from being delete if the H/D gets full but its still worth a shot.

p110011

Oregon City, OR
I got a new box, now my dishanywhere guide seems pooched. It doesn't show all my channels. Anyone else have this problem?