spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue

Garden Tractor Battery Question

I have a John Deere garden tractor with a John Deere "Strongbox" battery. Several years ago a new "Strongbox" battery for the tractor/mower had given me some leakage problems and the dealership claimed they found a defect in a series of those batteries, and gave me a new one with a vent hose on the replacement. That worked fine for several years. Since it seemed to work well, I replaced that battery a couple of years ago with another one with a vent hose.

Now after 2.5 years I find that the newer Strongbox has leaked battery acid out from its vent tube onto my garage floor where I had it stored over the winter (I don't believe it could freeze in my garage).
I installed the battery into the mower and it did start, but I am now wondering if the battery will hold up for a 4 to 5 hour long mowing job at the family vacation property, which I have planned for later this week.

Anyway, does anyone know what might cause a leak like that?

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

1 recommendation

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by Del_Gue:

Anyway, does anyone know what might cause a leak like that?

Topping up the electrolyte with water while the battery is discharged, and then charging the battery.

When a lead acid battery is discharged, you just want to cover the plates. Then charge. After a full charge, you can raise the electrolyte level to normal.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Del_Gue

Premium Member

to Del_Gue
The battery is only used for starting and to help with the lights (if night mowing). You can even use a car to jump start the tractor, if you need to. Once the engine is running, you can mow all day with a dead battery. The magneto provides spark without help from the battery.

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue

Thanks for the info guys.
I should be okay this week as long as I take breaks with parking the garden tractor where I can jump start it. Might look at portable starter for future use.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to Del_Gue

to Del_Gue
Bolt on a milk crate to the back of your tractor, install full size car battery. 4x more capacity for same cost. Also improve weight distribution for better traction on powered tires. bolt a strap or bar across top of milk crate, rough land can cause the battery to fly out if not strapped down.