tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer

Re: looking for thread w clean wiring

exactly...

who knows how media will be in the years to come. it is obvious everything is going to streaming. internet connections are becoming faster, media compression/buffering isnt great, but has greatly improved from years ago, so we are making a step in the right direction, but just when you think they have it, something will change.

i have heard that the 1080p format will stick for a while, but you never know when that will change.

all i am saying (to old_tech) is that wifi is getting better, but so will wired.

and forget i posted the 10 gb card...maybe they release a 5 gb card for home use? who knows...

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

Media Compression is better, in the next five years, the nextgen 4k chipset for h.265 will be coming out. That is why standards are changing.

BTW, there will never be a 5gig card released for the home, because only way it would be, is if it is wireless standard, not wired. Face it, wired is old school, wireless is now the new standard.

People need to get out of this five years ago thinking, that wireless is not going to be the best way to go, when it actually is now, since the new chipsets have been coming out in most newer devices, and showing its colors, that it can serve up media.

With Wireless-ac, you can send 1080p video on your network, with no artifacts. Maybe you need to read the info, instead of shooting off the hip.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by old_tech:

With Wireless-ac, you can send 1080p video on your network, with no artifacts. Maybe you need to read the info, instead of shooting off the hip.

you do realize that current wifi cards/routers say they can support 1080p (but when tested it works like crap)...

regardless of what you or the white papers say, it will always be a cat and mouse game.

something will get better that will require more bandwidth from wifi.

anyway, to each their own.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

Actually not all can support 1080p, at most, most can only support 720p. You really need to read on this stuff, before making an opinion.

Again, with Wireless-ac, you can now send 1080p to devices with no compression or artifacting during playback.

As for bandwidth, you need to read the information again, than making a statement that you cannot stand behind.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by old_tech:

Actually not all can support 1080p, at most, most can only support 720p. You really need to read on this stuff, before making an opinion.

Again, with Wireless-ac, you can now send 1080p to devices with no compression or artifacting during playback.

As for bandwidth, you need to read the information again, than making a statement that you cannot stand behind.

all i am saying is that everything is going to evolve and improve, that is a fact. they are not going to stop tweaking/improving wired networks because wifi has better speeds. that is the part that i think you are missing.

also, wireless being the new standard and wired being an old standard is your opinion.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

It has evolved, and as for wireless being the new standard, wired the old, it is not an opinionated statement, it is the industry that has decided it to be that way, since again as I have stated a couple times, we are a mobile society, even though you do not think so.

As for tweaking and improving wired networks, there is nothing more that they can do, that they have already done, other than improve the error correction scheme, which is pretty much at the nexus, that they cannot do much more with it for wired.

Face the facts, that inside the home, wireless is going to be King by within the next five years, and you are going to see less wired connections for data.

HDMI still has a ways to go, before it can become a standard to be wireless, but with the nextgen Wireless, being Wireless-ad, that will allow HDTV to be streamed wireless between set top boxes, dvr's and other devices to the viewing device (ie projector, flatscreen).

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

1 recommendation

XCOM to old_tech

Premium Member

to old_tech
said by old_tech:

I stand behind mine. And I will take you to it.
WiFi is not and will not be faster than copper. Lets not mention fiber. Now days home are coming with fiber as a standard which also consider "wired".

Killa200 makes a good point.

You also sound like some of the guys in the voip chat forum trying to dictated what is and not need or what is or not a standard in a home env. The home env has changed! Now days saying is "Not" need it in a home env is bad choice of words. They will bite you in the ass.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

i agree with xcom. i know people who have fiber in the walls, just need to have it terminated. still not cheap, but yes that is considered wired as well.

wired will continue to evolve, fact.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer to old_tech

to old_tech
said by old_tech:

Face the facts, that inside the home, wireless is going to be King by within the next five years, and you are going to see less wired connections for data.

within the next 5 years?

wired is already KING NOW! and will be KING in the next five, ten or more years.

people building new homes can use fiber optic to deliver superior speeds.. people re-building or retrofitting rooms or areas in their house can wire it using fiber....even copper based solutions right now can deliver superior speeds.

FACE that fact!

faster wireless.....ha! coming from a guy who has sub par internet service from AT&T Uverse, whose services are clearly behind.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

Wired was king in the past, and in five to ten years, sorry, will no longer be king. New homes with fiber optic, sorry, that is only with certain providers in certain markets that they bring Fiber to the Premise, not all are going to have or will have in the future Fiber.

As for the comment of subpar service with ATT Uverse, that comment is really uncalled for and I can see that I have been dealing with a person with a child like mentality and probably a teen at that, who does not know when to stop when they are behind.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by old_tech:

Wired was king in the past, and in five to ten years, sorry, will no longer be king. New homes with fiber optic, sorry, that is only with certain providers in certain markets that they bring Fiber to the Premise, not all are going to have or will have in the future Fiber.

As for the comment of subpar service with ATT Uverse, that comment is really uncalled for and I can see that I have been dealing with a person with a child like mentality and probably a teen at that, who does not know when to stop when they are behind.

fiber in the home, in the walls....from the switch, to the workstation.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

XCOM to old_tech

Premium Member

to old_tech
said by old_tech:

Is not even worth it.
Good luck in life.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by XCOM:

said by old_tech:

Is not even worth it.
Good luck in life.

agreed.

he just went from LAN to WAN.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer to old_tech

to old_tech
said by old_tech:

child like? you're the one who kept on insisting a a technology that will never replace a proven one, much like a stubborn child...

much like AT&T Uverse TV is really HD to you....

»msg deleted

you like discrediting people with information you think that you like but are actually getting services from a sub par provider....if you talk about AT&T Uverse TV as HD to you, then yes, there is something definitely wrong with your argument both in TV and internet.

talk about KING....

show us your wireless ac devices and its throughput....you still might be using b/g/n devices...with your Uverse internet...
medbuyer

medbuyer to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

said by XCOM:

said by old_tech:

Is not even worth it.
Good luck in life.

agreed.

agreed!

he veered off too much now...

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech to tomdlgns

Premium Member

to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

fiber in the home, in the walls....from the switch, to the workstation.

Never going to happen. You are talking about something that was discussed back in the 90's, and look where we are now. Copper will still be used as a backhaul within the home, but wireless will become the norm from here on out.

Every five years, technology changes in a forward pace, is why you are seeing more devices with wireless built in, and more people going with wireless for devices in the home, vs. wired.
old_tech

old_tech to tomdlgns

Premium Member

to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

I have no clue where you are coming up with the Lan to Wan reference, so really sounds like you like medbuyer are shooting off the hip without a clue.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by old_tech:

said by tomdlgns:

I have no clue where you are coming up with the Lan to Wan reference, so really sounds like you like medbuyer are shooting off the hip without a clue.

we are talking about LAN and you are talking about WAN

"New homes with fiber optic, sorry, that is only with certain providers in certain markets that they bring Fiber to the Premise"

there are alot of things you don't have a clue about...
tomdlgns

tomdlgns to old_tech

Premium Member

to old_tech
technology has been greatly improved since the 90s.

thats like saying, internet wasn't around in the 50s, we will never have it.

yes, more devices have wifi built in, but that doesn't really mean wired networks are going away.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to old_tech

to old_tech
said by old_tech:

said by tomdlgns:

the whole thread was about wiring INSIDE the house, your LAN network.

this...
said by old_tech:

New homes with fiber optic, sorry, that is only with certain providers in certain markets that they bring Fiber to the Premise, not all are going to have or will have in the future Fiber.

then you veered off to fiber to the premise...we weren't even talking about that...

agree with tomdlgns See Profile...you have no clue...

get faster internet and good wireless network equipment, and when you do, we can go back and talk about this at a later time when you realize that wireless isn't going to be your flavor...
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

said by old_tech:

said by tomdlgns:

the whole thread was about wiring INSIDE the house, your LAN network.

this...
said by old_tech:

New homes with fiber optic, sorry, that is only with certain providers in certain markets that they bring Fiber to the Premise, not all are going to have or will have in the future Fiber.

then you veered off to fiber to the premise...we weren't even talking about that...

yup, exactly.