how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blaznazn224

join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON

How to monitor cable bandwidth usage?

When i login to "my world" on the teksavvy website, I can't find any usage information. I have teksavvy cable 18/0.5, at the mcnicoll POI. Any help?

TSI Ashleigh
Premium
join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON
kudos:7

Hello Blaznazn224,

Thank you for the inquiry!!! Currently our bandwidth tracker for Cable internet for customer use has been removed from our website. We do not have an ETA when it will be available; however it should be available again shortly.
Currently we recommend that you download a free bandwidth tracker from the Google search engine to track the bandwidth yourself until we have ours posted again.

I hope this helps!!!

Thanks again
--
TSI Ashleigh - E-Services.
Authorized TekSavvy Employee

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:12
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to blaznazn224

The Rogers cable system does not currently have bandwidth monitoring enabled for the 3rd party ISPs like TSI.

So, technically, you could be on a usage limited plan and treat it as if it were unlimited. You are on your honour to not do so at the moment out of fairness to keep the prices for the limited plans down compared to the unlimited plans.

dmitry_tek

join:2010-01-14
reply to blaznazn224

What others above me said. Also, some 3rd party router firmwares allow counting monthly traffic. tomato can, for example.

MJB

join:2012-01-29

We got to remember that Rogers and Bell are full of shit and it costs nothing for 1 gb of data. About 5 cents I guess or less ! **** CBB/UBB

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by MJB:

We got to remember that Rogers and Bell are full of shit and it costs nothing for 1 gb of data. About 5 cents I guess or less ! **** CBB/UBB

Your point?
UBB overages don't go to Rogers/Bell. They go to TSI to pay for the capacity costs to provide service. Despite being told this several times over, you don't seem to get it.

OP: For monitoring an individual computer, I'd recommend "Networkx".
»www.softperfect.com/products/networx/
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

DJRiful
Teksavvy.com
Premium
join:2005-06-12
canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Click for full size
This is how I monitor... xD

blaznazn224

join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON

the problem with bandwidth monitor programs is that it only monitors one single computer. I have multiple computers, laptops, tablets xbox, cell phones, etc that connect to the network and the only way to get the total usage would be to get a program for the router itself. That is a really complicated process that I want to avoid. Anyways, I guess this means bandwidth caps wont be too strictly enforced until the monitoring tool is online again? If so, awesome :P

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

Most custom router firmwares come with a monitor, and it isn't really that complicated to get those working...you just need a compatible router. DD-WRT and Tomato both have monitors. Or if you don't want to do it yourself, Buffalo routers come with DD-WRT.

penguin318

join:2008-07-23
Smiths Falls, ON

said by Scycotic:

Most custom router firmwares come with a monitor, and it isn't really that complicated to get those working...you just need a compatible router. DD-WRT and Tomato both have monitors. Or if you don't want to do it yourself, Buffalo routers come with DD-WRT.

You are correct, but this is not something that should be expected you the end user. If you want to have set limits you should have a way for users to check. If my father needed to jump though these hoops I'm sure it would cause him to have a stroke.

DJRiful
Teksavvy.com
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to blaznazn224

said by blaznazn224:

the problem with bandwidth monitor programs is that it only monitors one single computer. I have multiple computers, laptops, tablets xbox, cell phones, etc that connect to the network and the only way to get the total usage would be to get a program for the router itself. That is a really complicated process that I want to avoid. Anyways, I guess this means bandwidth caps wont be too strictly enforced until the monitoring tool is online again? If so, awesome :P

The screenshot is from my DD-WRT router. So it counts all devices that communicate via the WAN.
--
Teksavvy.com + 300GB Bandwidth awesomeness!

abcjak

join:2012-12-18

I've dd-wrt on my routers for quite a few years and i do look at the bandwidth monitor but i don't trust it because there are many days where it will lose information. It'll record many days with no traffic which is obviously wrong. ..it's still useful for general information but it's not a reliable way to determine usage for anything meaningful. besides that, i'm sure the TOS will say that in any disagreements, their numbers are considered right.

DJRiful
Teksavvy.com
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by abcjak:

I've dd-wrt on my routers for quite a few years and i do look at the bandwidth monitor but i don't trust it because there are many days where it will lose information. It'll record many days with no traffic which is obviously wrong. ..it's still useful for general information but it's not a reliable way to determine usage for anything meaningful. besides that, i'm sure the TOS will say that in any disagreements, their numbers are considered right.

Did you update it? Mine is build April 15, 2013.

Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/15/13) std - build 21286
Kernel Version Linux 3.5.7.10 #6729 Mon Apr 15 10:47:10 CEST 2013 mips
--
Teksavvy.com + 300GB Bandwidth awesomeness!

abcjak

join:2012-12-18

I rarely if every run the very latest version. I think the version on my E4200 is about a year old, a mega build. My backup router is an E3000 with an even older ddwrt, same goes for WRT400N. The bandwidth monitor was good when i started using dd-wrt on a various WRT54 models so something happened somewhere.

I generally switch builds until i find one that's stable with the settings i plan to use. I had a few where i had to schedule daily rebooting to keep it online which is annoying. I don't need the bandwidth monitor so it's more of a novelty, i'd rather have a router with good uptime. I'll probably start looking at AC wifi soon and it'll be time to start over. With that, a few ddwrt features will be fixed, a few will become broken.

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
reply to blaznazn224

The problem now with DD-WRT router tracking is that there is no way to identify what portion of the usage is taking place during the 2am - 8am free window!

Teresita225

join:2005-08-31
Canada
reply to TSI Ashleigh

If it helps, OP, I like using BitMeter. Hopefully yours is back up now, or soon!

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
reply to blaznazn224

If they can't provide you with a data counter, then I wouldn't hold you responsible if you go over.

Rogers/TSI hasn't implemented one proper system yet and has been this way from the beginning. ATPIA promised for that soon, so be responsible and enjoy not having a leash for now.

Duren6

join:2011-04-30
reply to blaznazn224

Tomato time based bandwidth monitoring.