ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1

Premium Member

Walk behind mower

This past winter has not been kind to me and for medical reasons I cannot spend a lot of time walking behind a mower. However some walking is good for me. So I'm in the market for a wide area mower. My thought is I'm still walking cutting the grass, but with a larger width mower I'm not out as long. I have a corner lot of about 1/4 acre, so I cannot stop until it is all cut. I'm looking at something with a 30" to 36" width cut. It has to have a good motor. Most of the companies are now switching to Chinese made motors, and from past experience they last about 4 seasons. Yesterday I was looking at a 33" Cub Cadet and this year they switched...Toro switch in 2012. My current mower is a Toro Super Recycler I bought in the fall of 2011 because it came with a Briggs & Statton engine. It was used for one season and is currently in the shop because it will not start. One company I've been looking at is Exmark. There metro line has a 32" with a Kawasaki engine that has been rated pretty high. Problem is new they cost over $3000. Does anyone know of a good mower that would be similar to the Exmark but does not cost as much?

»www.exmark.com/Products/ ··· pe=Specs

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

How about something like this: »www.homedepot.com/p/Toro ··· 5uZ3D9TE , or this: »www.homedepot.com/p/Arie ··· 6Hp3D9TE

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

1 edit

John97 to ITICharlie1

Premium Member

to ITICharlie1
That's surprising. I have a 2011 model Super Recycler with the Briggs engine, and honestly - I've been less than kind to it. But, I gave it a tuneup last month and it is back to like-new running condition.

Toro has the Chinese Kohler engines on some models, Briggs on others, as well as Hondas.

Something like this may suit your needs nicely in the $1700 range.

»www.gravely.com/en-us/wa ··· ult.aspx

EDIT: It's basically the same machine as linked above at Home Depot under the Ariens brand. FWIW, you'll get better service from an actual dealer than a big box store.
bkjohnson
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

bkjohnson to ITICharlie1

Premium Member

to ITICharlie1
The answer for best walk behind mower is the same answer as that given for best riding mower - one that a lawn service brings with them and uses to cut your grass.

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

I think he is wanting some exercise,so your answer defeats his purpose...

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to ITICharlie1

Premium Member

to ITICharlie1
said by ITICharlie1:

Most of the companies are now switching to Chinese made motors...

...Toro switch in 2012.

The Toro 30" TimeMaster uses a Briggs & Stratton engine.
»www.toro.com/en-us/homeo ··· memaster

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1

Premium Member

I looked at the Toro Timemaster when they came out, however it basically uses the same engine that is on my Super Recycler, and is known to be underpowered on that mower. It also uses the Personal Pace system. I'm not sure what it is, but using it makes my back hurt, what is part of my medical problem. And until I find out why my current mower with the B&S engine does not start, I'm a little leery of them. Ariens also uses B&S. Riders are out as all that jolting would kill my back. This weekend I'll hit a few shops and see what is out in the market. Western in O'Fallon has some used stuff for sale and take trade-ins.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to ITICharlie1

Premium Member

to ITICharlie1
Really you should hire a kid to cut the grass and walk for fun.

The kid needs the money and you need the exercise

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1

Premium Member

In my neighborhood the going rate is $40.00 and up. Besides I love doing yard work.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to ITICharlie1

Premium Member

to ITICharlie1
I also have a Super Recycler (SR) with the B&S. I love it, no problems. Like you I bought it before they went to the Chinese "Toro Premium OHV Engines" on the SR models. I have no issues with my B&S, but since it isn't available in the SR line anymore, I'd opt for the Honda powered SR model if I was buying today.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to ITICharlie1

MVM

to ITICharlie1
Western is an OK place to shop. They can be a bit spendy.
Exmark is a fine mower. I sold mine and have regretted it ever since. Craigslist has a lot of used ones. Many guys went out of business after the drought last year and are still trying to unload them.

FWIW, Exmark is a Toro brand:
Great Dane is Ariens. The also make John Deere walk behinds.

»stlouis.craigslist.org/g ··· 151.html

»stlouis.craigslist.org/g ··· 233.html

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

Really you should hire a kid to cut the grass and walk for fun.

The kid needs the money and you need the exercise

+1

Since I started having lawn care service I've never been happier.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to ITICharlie1

to ITICharlie1
30 to 36" width? Good lord man, talk about unwieldy.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

30-36" is small for a walk behind. They are very easy to maneuver.

jed
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can

jed to ITICharlie1

Premium Member

to ITICharlie1
I have 2 JD Kawasaki-powered mowers, and a 2-stroke Kawi powered backpack blower. The first mower is coming on 28yrs, and the 2nd is about 12yrs now (2 locations and lots of hours on them). Expensive as hell (I think about a grand and a bit when new) but for how long they've lasted and their reliability, I'd do it again in a minute. I have only ever done blade sharpenings, oil changes and a spark plug.

The 2-stroke got the wrong fuel here a few months ago - drained it, changed the plug and touch wood, so far so good. Kawasaki has been good to me.

Sometimes you pay more and it can last a looonnnggg time.

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1

Premium Member

I went to Mildbrat in Creve Coeur today and they are running a good sale. They have and 34" Exmark on sale that I might get. I also have a lead on used Toro ZTR 42" that is only 2 years old I can get for about $1500.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Wouldn't the ZTR go against your no-rider policy for this purchase?

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1

Premium Member

said by Lurch77:

Wouldn't the ZTR go against your no-rider policy for this purchase?

True, but if I can get a great rider for cheap money...why not!!! Besides, I can sell it for a profit and get what I want.
sparks
join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

1 edit

sparks to ITICharlie1

to ITICharlie1
I have been hearing that the newer honda motors are made in China.

I remember when a $250 craftsman mower lasted for at least 10 years and build like a tank, new ones with B&S motors start and run well but the rest of the unit is pure junk.

Bad Boy Mowers is supposed to be build well and made in usa.
oh wait made in Arkansas, is that better than china LOL
Please disreguard the Bad Boy, I heard they were coming out with a walk behind but either its not out or won't be out, its not in their catalog.

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1

Premium Member

I just got a call from Milbradt about my Toro SR I took in for service and was told I had bad gas, therefor no warranty work would be needed and I would have to pay for the service. Last year I ran the mower dry, and used gas with Stabil in it. When I went to run it two weeks ago, I used fresh gas. I guess I'm a little puzzled where the bad gas came from. They want to remove the bowl and replace the float and needle valve.

I do the same procedure with all of my small engines and this is the first time I've had trouble with "bad gas". Are B&S engines more prone with problems with storage?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

I'd take their diagnosis with a grain of salt.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

Nonsense. Bad gas is a "catch all" diagnosis alot of the time.

A few years ago, my father bought a gas-powered log splitter, and with it they threw in a brand-new gas can. On the way home, he stopped and filled the can as well as the tank in his truck. Well, the splitter wouldn't start. He called the store and they had him bring it right back over for their service department to look at it. They said it was bad gas, they had to clean the bowl and it was fine. Well, it must have been bad gas at the factory when they test-ran the unit.

I finished cutting the lawn at my old house up in PA the last week of October, drained the gas (and oil) from my Toro 20092 SR4 as required by the movers. In March I had to start cutting the grass down here. So I filled the tank with gas, filled he crankcase with synthetic 10W30, and it fired right up on the second pull. I was less-kind the prior offseason, as I just left it in my shed all winter with whatever gas was in it - no Stabil or nothing. It started and ran fine when I got it out in the spring.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by John97:

I was less-kind the prior offseason, as I just left it in my shed all winter with whatever gas was in it - no Stabil or nothing. It started and ran fine when I got it out in the spring.

That is what I did this year with my Honda mower, it just started.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to nunya

MVM

to nunya
said by nunya:

I'd take their diagnosis with a grain of salt.

Exactly ! That's probably the diagnosis for 75% of the mowers most shops service every spring.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to ITICharlie1

Premium Member

to ITICharlie1
said by ITICharlie1:

Are B&S engines more prone with problems with storage?

My SR with a Briggs was started for the second year now, after being in storage all winter. It started and ran great, and I do the same storage procedure as you. I do, however, run 100% NON-ethanol gasoline in my engine (and all my small engines). I imagine over time even 10% ethanol could cause adverse effects. But I would suspect it is a "catch all" diagnosis from the mechanic, as others here mentioned. My SR came with a 5 year guaranteed to start warranty. What good is it if they can just throw a "bad gas" diagnosis at you? I say BS on the mechanic.

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1

Premium Member

I wish someone sold 100% gas in my area. The city and surrounding counties are mandated to have the 10% stuff. And soon it is to go to 15%. Anyway I got the mower back and they charged me $55.00 to remove and clean the carb, and replace the needle valve and seat. He also suggested I leave the gas in during the off season and use Seafoam instead of Stabil. This is 180' different than what the manual says. I may have to stay away from this place and stick with Western. I'm going out there later today to look at some used wide area mowers.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

While your out here in civilization, try Bill's Service Center on Sonderen. Also Harvester Small Engine on Jung Station Rd.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to ITICharlie1

MVM

to ITICharlie1
Fuel goes bad fast these days. Use good small engine fuel. »www.vp-sef.com/

It's expensive as hell, so I'm not planning to use it in my mowers during the busy mowing months, but will in the fall so I don't have to worry about regular gas being left in the tanks.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

Don't know I'd be so quick to condemn the fuel. Use a good stabilizer (I like Sta-Bil) and you should be good to go. I use Sta-Bil and Marvels Mystery Oil in the gas I use around for the generator. Marke the date on it and rotate it every 6 months by pouring in the car. Store the equipment with 3/4 a tank of gas and it fires right up.

The 2 cycle stuff gets even worse treatment. I think the gas I just finished up was 3 years old. The leaf blower hardly knew the difference.

The only thing I drain is the snowblower. The low usage during the season (could go weeks without use) means it's a good candidate for it. I douse everything in WD40 and put it away. Hopefuly that will work well. The last carb on the unit lasted from 2003-2012 and I did nothing to it.

I honestly think "bad gas" is a BS excuse from the manufacturers. There is no reason this equipment should be more sensitive than a modern (or older) car.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Read the FAQ at the VP website, and you'd think pump gas is the worst stuff on the face of the planet, and their gas is a miracle life saver. They sure could scare the ignorant.

But then again, it better be some miracle serum, since they want $64 for 2 gallons of the stuff.