Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to GCoop

Premium Member

to GCoop

Re: DSLR Minecraft server

Maybe I will get bored tonight and start in on covering it up, or at least start mining some new resources to make the stone brick.

Picked a color yet for your line? I've been using purple in the Nether for the cover glass, because it matches the portals.

GCoop
join:2004-12-08
Charlottesville, VA

GCoop

I've got a bunch of Stone brick already that I need to haul out there. If my guestimations are correct I should have enough. What I haven't started on is cookin up all the glass that will be needed. I have no real preference on the color.

Noiche
Premium Member
join:2013-06-17
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

So I had an entire roof planned and 90% built on my solo world for my town hall, and then I didn't like it, so I blew it to smithareens.

I'm at a real lose for how to set the roof up. I want something really fancy, but makable out of materials we have plenty of. I kind of want a White House type roof with low sides and dome middle, but haven't got it to work out yet.

Any ideas or past projects that have proved good?

Also, I recently went back to Skyblocks on another server with challenges to complete. Its been a blast so far. Any thoughts on adding a Skyblock world? Would that interest very many?

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Skyblock?

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

You never heard of Skyblock?

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

nope

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

Fail

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

LOL

GCoop
Charlottesville, VA

GCoop

WUT

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
Lol after like 5 days? Delayed reaction?

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

No, just asleep....

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

Riiiight

GCoop
Charlottesville, VA

GCoop to neonhomer

to neonhomer
Well here is an attempt to bring this discussion back on point:

I found another nether fortress not too very far away from where the current Blaze farm is (Very nice by the way). So I am trying my hand at making a Blaze farm for the first time. My goal is to mimic one that someone had made on a server I used to play on. It will be minimalistic and less complex in design than the current one.

At the opposite end of the nether rail line from the current farm I have extended a path out to it and have begun to start construction. I have the spawner probably 90% shut off at this point. Working without a net 40 - 50 blocks above the nether floor on one side and Lava lake on another while fending off blazes and Ghast attacks was more nerve racking than I first anticipated....

Next up will be constructing the spawning room...

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I've found two Blaze spawners in my Nether adventures making my paths. My original path passes through a Nether fortress, and the new path passes within 2-3 blocks of a Blaze spawner (covered behind glass).

GCoop
Charlottesville, VA

2 edits

GCoop to neonhomer

to neonhomer

Minecraft snapshot 14w34c

by Dinnerbone on August 18, 2014

Update: Snapshot 14w34c has been released to fix the following crashes:

[SNIP]

With some luck, this week may be the last week of 1.8 snapshots! We’re hoping to do a pre-release this Thursday if there are no major issues remaining in the snapshots by then. Please help us out by searching for issues on the bug tracker and voting up the ones that affect you!

Notable changes:
Features fixed.
Bugs bettered.
Optimizations overworked.
Game grown.
Humanity happened.

Looks like we are getting closer to 1.8. Did someone say we were resetting the world for 1.8 or I am thinking of something else? Really makes no difference to me one way or the other just curious.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Does everybody want to reset the world, or just update the server and continue?

If we reset, I could use some seed ideas...

Let me know...

GCoop
Charlottesville, VA

GCoop

said by neonhomer:

Does everybody want to reset the world, or just update the server and continue?

If we reset, I could use some seed ideas...

Let me know...

Ill defer to the general consensus. I do not have as much invested and to loose as most others so their preference should be considered before mine.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Well, there are some who were on the server a lot, and now they don't play anymore.

Usually, on major updates, when they add new mobs, they don't appear unless you go to new chunks.

On the Mindcrack server, before 1.7 came out, Guude (Jason) had everybody stay within a certain area (a large island). When 1.7 came out, he used MCEdit to basically chop out the existing world outside of the island, and let it reload in 1.7.

I think our world is a little too big for that, even though we don't have as many members as Mindcrack.

Deremus
join:2011-09-01
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

I'm generally of the opinion to not reset unless there is a significant content change. So that would be my preference. Just what kind of new things are we getting with the update?

I haven't really been on lately , but I would like to come back and pick up work growing my mini city along with my wife's buildings.

I do know that my wife is still working on projects on occasion, and she'd proably have a hard time letting go of all the horses she caught, bred, and tested for her stables.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

1 edit

ironweasel to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

Well, there are some who were on the server a lot, and now they don't play anymore.

Usually, on major updates, when they add new mobs, they don't appear unless you go to new chunks.

On the Mindcrack server, before 1.7 came out, Guude (Jason) had everybody stay within a certain area (a large island). When 1.7 came out, he used MCEdit to basically chop out the existing world outside of the island, and let it reload in 1.7.

I think our world is a little too big for that, even though we don't have as many members as Mindcrack.

I think I'm rotating back around to Minecraft and I'll probably start playing a bit more again.

I'm always down for restarting worlds or whatever, especially if we only have a few people that play, especially since we got so spread out the last time.

Also, something that's 100% up to you since it's basically your server. Maybe remove the whitelist feature and just not advertise it...or maybe lightly advertise it and then give admin / mod capability to a couple of us here that way if there are any issues, then they can be dealt with.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I'm going to let everyone chime in before I make a final decision.

Dinnerbone said they should be releasing the 1.8 pre-release this Thursday. If that's so, then the main update will be out shortly thereafter.

I've given thought to try to expand our userbase. I've invited people from another forum I am on Paperpusher's Message Board and haven't had anyone who wanted to join.

I'm a little hesitant to put the server up in the open, only because I really don't want to deal with people wrecking everyone's hard work. Will have to see.

I've also toyed with the idea of giving everyone creative mode, and see what everyone can conjure up!

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

I would vote for a server restart if we opened up a broader multiplayer server. I play on a few other servers that keep my attention a little easier cause they have survival, creative, skyblocks, and mini games all on their server. I'm not saying we have to go all that far, but I'd love to see our server get survival, creative, and skyblocks. This to me would be a huge interest boost. If you haven't tried skyblocks out, take a look at it, cause its a real blast.

If cost is an issue for server upgrades, I'd be more than happy to help out. Not sure what it would cost or if it even would to host a server like this with your current host.

On another note though, I think I've finally figured my roof idea out. I will attempt to get on this week/weekend and put that idea on my building to see the outcome and get opinions.

Message me if you really don't know what I mean about the server ideas and I'll give you one of the other server IPs I play on so you can see it yourself. The hosts are very friendly people that stream and use all donations to better and expand the server.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

fnord76 to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
I'm on a new shift this last month and haven't worked out a good time to get on. I don't mind a reset. My project has been a nice time waster, but needs to be refined and tested before bringing it to the group server. It was taking up too much time. I did enjoy working the rails with everyone though.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to neonhomer

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

I'm a little hesitant to put the server up in the open, only because I really don't want to deal with people wrecking everyone's hard work. Will have to see.

I don't play on this server, but I have been hosting servers since the early days, pre-piston update, don't remember numbers anymore. Anyway, my suggestion, for what it is worth is thus:

1.) Do not remove the Whitelist. Ever.
2.) You can advertise your server on something like Reddit. There is a subreddit specifically for this. Have people apply. This way you control the type of player on the server, and you control the volume.
3.) There are some Bukkit plug-in options, and a few mods that will protect your server from people just being assholes. That might be worth looking into regardless of what you decide. IF you decide that you want to remove the Whitelist AND advertise then I highly suggest looking into these options to prevent a lot of heartache on the player base end when shit gets ruined.

As for doing a realm wipe, that is totally up to the players on the realm. There are a lot of perks to doing this, mainly that any new stuff added with the update will be there, it requires no MC Edit work (which is only viable if your working in a smaller area and aren't spread out), and there is no guarantee that doing the Nether travel trick to cover massive distances will work out correctly.

If the realm is wiped I would suggest hosting the world data somewhere for players to download and save locally if they want.

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

Adalicia, do you know anything about creating a server with a main hub and different game modes to go to, like one portal for creative, one for survival, and one for skyblocks? Would you also know what server specs would need to be to run that for 20 or so people?

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

No, but I imagine there are tutorials for it. I've heard of servers doing it before, I imagine it isn't super complex. The servers I've hosted over the years have been Vanilla Survival only, with a handful of Bukkit plug-ins depending on needs.

As for server specs for 20 people? For best performance I would say a dedicated box with probably an i7 Sandy Bridge or AMD equivalent, and at least 4-6 GB of RAM. In theory you could probably do it on 2 GB of RAM and something as old as a Q6600 but I don't know what kind of performance you would get. I would suggest a decent Quad Core or better CPU, and a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. More RAM the better, assuming you can get the server to utilize it properly. 8 GB is probably a solid number that allows player expansion if desired. As for bandwidth probably something around a 10 down / 5 up would be more than adequate.

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

1 edit

Deremus to neonhomer

to neonhomer
Local news from me:
I was able to get back on and finish another piece of my map project... which is to eventually have about a thousand blocks mapped out in every direction from my castle. This has already encompassed DSLRVille and more. I'm seeing now that it would be a pretty big undertaking to complete the entire thing, so for now I have a more zoomed in map in the castle that only covers a few hundred block in every direction (this one only just barely reaches the south side of DSLRVille). After I made the map, I realized just how close Kylemaul's massive arcology is to mine. It's a small world after all! I can also see that the 'town hall' in DSLRVille really is a little bit bigger than my castle.

Regarding the server reset idea:
I spoke with my wife about the option to reset the world to see what she thinks, and it turns out her main concern would be that she would lose her super-enchanted bow that took forever for her to create. Even the horses could be found and re-raised again if needed...

As for me, I certainly am very proud of the piece of land we've developed in our square of the world. The fancy ice tower, swamp shack, observation tower, resource farms, decorative subway terminals, and especially with the castle, which is decked out in useful tools like giant tree silos (makes harvesting large amounts of lumber very easy), stone generators, smelter and workshop areas, etc....

I think I'd be okay with a reset if a couple things happened (assuming therest is meant to let us add on some mod of some sort):
One: we all got a chance to tour eachother's areas one more time (this could be hard without a guide for some, but I know my place should be easy with the signs EVERYWHERE).
Two: After the reset, if we could have some recreation of DSLRVille that included large amounts of supplies to help us get a jump start on our new projects.

Thoughts on the mode or type of world we could play on:
I do like playing in survival mode, as everything feels much more rewarding and exciting when you have to worry about safety. In creative mode, so many things become obsolete. If there were supplies to help everyone get established (maybe even just a bunch of nice tools), however; we could speed up development without losing that 'survival feeling'. I'm hesitant to suggest we go crazy with mods, but I'd be interested in hearing about a few options that we could maybe discuss using. Ultimately, the choice is up to Neon, but I'm sure we'd all enjoy things the most if we got input too.

While I am thinking about it, if we do reset we should definitely do some world planning up front. The colored rail system we have now? It's a great system that could be even better if we created some guidelines with it and got it going first thing. I'd like to have one main rail for every cardinal direction that doesn't turn, then any branches could use other colors (so the main rails wouldn't have to wind around and get confusing). We could also redesign how each rail gets colored, so they actually show up on a map, too. That way we can have helpful guides placed within rail hubs. Currently, the system we have works, but it couldn't be improved much without ripping out a lot of work or people relocating their bases.

Sorry about the massive post, I figured it'd be better as one big one rather than double or triple posting to cover each subject.

Edit: I knew I left something out... before playing here I played on a private family server, and just dealing with the shenanigans of young nieces and nephews was a big headache to development. I definitely agree that the Whitelist is a good thing to keep! I heard about one mod that I think is called 'factions' that allows players to 'secure' an area for their faction, which would prevent other non-faction members from messing with their things. Might be an interesting thing to look into.

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche

Premium Member

If you would like mods, I'd highly reccomend tree feller or whatever its called. Basically, when you go to chop down a tree, as long as your Axe has enough durability, one chop will kill the entire tree and you get all loot and your Axe takes durability damage equal to what it would have taken if you did the whole tree by hand. It doesn't work if your Axe is too weak also.

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

That tree feller mod sounds convenient, but I don't necessarily like the idea of having mods to make the gameplay easier... I'd just want mods that add more content/functionality to the game itself.

One thing that actually bothers me a lot are the mods that spoil the exploration, like an x-ray mod. One the last server I played on, I would be working on a mine or quarry, then I'd notice tiny tunnels that would beeline to pockets here and there around the area... and I'd also never find any valuable materials either. I'd get so annoyed because it felt like my mining operation was useless, while somebody else just happened to know exacty where they needed to dig to get all the diamonds.

To be honest, I've seen some suspicious-looking tunnels on this server too...

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by Deremus:

One thing that actually bothers me a lot are the mods that spoil the exploration, like an x-ray mod.

There are Bukkit plug-ins that deal with this exact type of cheating.