Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to Deremus

Premium Member

to Deremus

Re: DSLR Minecraft server

said by Deremus:

To be honest, I've seen some suspicious-looking tunnels on this server too...

How so?

I need to read up on some of these plug-ins to add to the next map. I like the tree feller (there used to be one called Timber!, but I haven't seen it for a while.), but not sure of other mods. I play mostly vanilla Minecraft. My oldest son knows more about mods than I do...

Deremus
join:2011-09-01
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

I've done a lot of mass digging in my area (because I'm OCD and don't want the possibility of mobs spawning close enough for me to even hear them... yeah) to create safe buffer zones for various constructions. While I frequently run into natural caverns (I heard Extreme Hills and possibly Swamp have the highest rates of cavern occurences - and I'm on top of both these biomes), there have been a couple times I ran across some tunnels that were dug in very illogical or random paths, with frequent dead ends that looked like a chunk of blocks were dug out while everything around is still there.

Either someone was lost and digging around deep underground, and frequently changed their mind about the direction they were going... or maybe they purposefully wanted to dig a labyrinth of random tunnels (which, admittedly, could be fun)... or someone could have just been exploring and mining out the natural caves very extensively... or someone knew exactly where to go to get everything valuable.

At this point, I have found some untouched caverns that still had diamonds and gold visible so it's possible I just settled in a well explored area, and any suspicious patterns are coincidental.

Back to the point of a world reset; I think both me and my wife are warming up to the idea. We're both thinking of ways we could recreate projects with better planning in a fresh start. I'm also liking the possibility of including a few select mods (approved by Neon, of course) if we do so.

How possible is it to allow us to have a locally saved copy of what is in the world now (if we proceed with the reset), in case we want to go back for reference purposes?

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I fired up a copy of the server locally, and ran it with Bukkit, and using the "Tree Assist" mod. I kind of like it, but then I realized that Bukkit re-wraps Minecraft... so we would be stuck with 1.7.10 until Bukkit integrated the 1.8 updates.
said by Deremus:

How possible is it to allow us to have a locally saved copy of what is in the world now (if we proceed with the reset), in case we want to go back for reference purposes?

I can make a copy available on my website.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
The suspicious tunnels are probably mine.

I tend to dig down to level 12 and then tunnel off for a few hundred (or thousand) blocks. Once I have a main tunnel dug out, I'll move two blocks over and create a parallel tunnel, rinse & repeat. If you head over towards my little house, you can find several places underneath where I excavated huge rooms and there are 5 or 10 tunnels leading out of that room, and then those tunnels have offshoot tunnels and so on.

I've found natural chasms, fortresses, abandoned mineshafts, and huge resource pockets that way.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I was doing what I call "EthoMining"... You set up a beacon with haste, and then you go to town at lvl 12, and then at lvl 6..

Oh, according to Mojang's page, they are slating 1.8 to drop Sept 2...

»mojang.com/2014/08/minec ··· -update/

Here’s a list of the major changes in the game:

Added Granite, Andesite, and Diorite stone blocks, with smooth versions
    Added Slime Block
    Added Iron Trapdoor
    Added Prismarine and Sea Lantern blocks
    Added the Ocean Monument
    Added Red Sandstone
    Added Banners
    Added Armor Stands
    Added Coarse Dirt (dirt where grass won’t grow)
    Added Guardian mobs, with item drops
    Added Endermite mob
    Added Rabbits, with item drops
    Added Mutton and Cooked Mutton
    Villagers will harvest crops and plant new ones
    Mossy Cobblestone and Mossy Stone Bricks are now craftable
    Chiseled Stone Bricks are now craftable
    Doors and fences now come in all wood type variants
    Sponge block has regained its water-absorbing ability and becomes wet
    Added a spectator game mode (game mode 3)
    Added one new achievement
    Added “Customized” world type
    Added hidden “Debug Mode” world type
    Worlds can now have a world barrier
    Added @e target selector for Command Blocks
    Added /blockdata command
    Added /clone command
    Added /execute command
    Added /fill command
    Added /particle command
    Added /testforblocks command
    Added /title command
    Added /trigger command
    Added /worldborder command
    Added /stats command
    Containers can be locked in custom maps by using the “Lock” data tag
    Added logAdminCommands, showDeathMessages, reducedDebugInfo, sendCommandFeedback, and randomTickSpeed game rules
    Added three new statistics
    Player skins can now have double layers across the whole model, and left/right arms/legs can be edited independently
    Added a new player model with smaller arms, and a new player skin called Alex?
    Added options for configuring what pieces of the skin that are visible
    Blocks can now have custom visual variations in the resource packs
    Minecraft Realms now has an activity chart, so you can see who has been online
    Minecraft Realms now lets you upload your maps
    Difficulty setting is saved per world, and can be locked if wanted
    Enchanting has been redone, now costs lapis lazuli in addition to enchantment levels
    Villager trading has been rebalanced
    Anvil repairing has been rebalanced
    Considerable faster client-side performance
    Max render distance has been increased to 32 chunks (512 blocks)
    Adventure mode now prevents you from destroying blocks, unless your items have the CanDestroy data tag
    Resource packs can now also define the shape of blocks and items, and not just their textures
    Scoreboards have been given a lot of new features
    Tweaked the F3 debug screen
    Block ID numbers (such as 1 for stone), are being replaced by ID names (such as minecraft:stone)
    Server list has been improved
    A few minor changes to village and temple generation
    Mob heads for players now show both skin layers
    Buttons can now be placed on the ceiling
    Lots and lots of other changes
    LOTS AND LOTS of other changes
    Removed Herobrine

Noiche
Premium Member
join:2013-06-17
Apo, AP

Noiche to ironweasel

Premium Member

to ironweasel
Fortresses? Underground?

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

said by Noiche:

Fortresses? Underground?

Stronghold...sorry.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Hey peeps! I just installed CraftBukkit 1.7.9, and TreeAssist. So when you break the bottom-most tree block, it will break the entire tree, and a lot of the leaves.

This is just something to mess around with. If anyone has any other plug-ins you'd like to see on here to mess around with, let me know.
Coolbrz
join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA

Coolbrz to neonhomer

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

I fired up a copy of the server locally, and ran it with Bukkit, and using the "Tree Assist" mod. I kind of like it, but then I realized that Bukkit re-wraps Minecraft... so we would be stuck with 1.7.10 until Bukkit integrated the 1.8 updates.

Therein lies the only issue i have with Mods, of course it will be like any other game in that it takes time for mods to get caught up to the official version.

Though with that said, i havent played vanilla minecraft since 1.5ish i think? Heh

Too many mod packs and stuff to play around with. Ill probably look at 1.8 but not sure how long id play it.

Ive never messed with bukkit much nor tree assist, I've used treecapitator before and i think its the same premise.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Yeah.. That's the one thing I never liked about mods.

I'm messing around with Tekkit, using the Technic launcher. Even so, it is at 1.6.4....

So I am wondering how long it would be before CraftBukkit goes to 1.8... and I'm sure there will be a 1.8.1 shortly thereafter... and so it goes...

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
Sweet!! Time to farm some trees!

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

LOL... CraftBukkit on the server is on 1.7.9. There should be no issues.

I'd like to find the tree harvest mod in Tekkit and use it... but it's probably stuck on 1.6.4....

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

1 edit

Deremus to Noiche

to Noiche
Hmm... I wonder if the tree harvest mod works as well on my jungle giant tree silos... --Instant 150 jungle wood blocks!--
What happens if you are trying to carve out a tree house on purpose, though?

Edit: For mods to try out, I'm really interested in one called 'factions'. Apparently it gives everyone the ability to choose a faction upon start, and then you can claim territory for your faction somehow (not sure how easy it is, honestly). Once claimed, only members of that same faction can change the blocks within the area, effectively protecting your work from other players.
In our case, we don't really have to worry about griefer types, but another benefit would be that it shows what faction the area you are in belongs to, so if we go visiting other people's houses we could know who's place we are at for sure. It could also help us to avoid accidentally cutting into someone else's area, because we would be stopped and could see the faction it belongs to.

I haven't actually used this mod directly, so all this is purely theoretical. I am very interested in seeing how it really works, though, since we're playing around with mods anyway...

GCoop
join:2004-12-08
Charlottesville, VA

GCoop

said by Deremus:

Hmm... I wonder if the tree harvest mod works as well on my jungle giant tree silos... --Instant 150 jungle wood blocks!--

What happens if you are trying to carve out a tree house on purpose, though?

Not sure about the jungle trees. From what I can tell though its only when the bottom block is broken that the whole tree come down so you should be safe carving out tree houses as long as the bottom block isn't taken.

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

said by GCoop:

only when the bottom block is broken that the whole tree come down so you should be safe carving out tree houses

Oh okay, that's good. I was worried in case I ever wanted to do something with trees.
Coolbrz
join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA

Coolbrz to neonhomer

to neonhomer
Never messed with Tekkit much, I do use the technic launcher for other packs we play though but those we play on 1.6.4 as well. Waiting to see what packs come out for 1.7.10 and go from there, probably with either the Technic launcher or Feed the beast launcher, still up in the air

I still enjoy the 1.6.4 packs though, so we will see heh.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to Deremus

Premium Member

to Deremus
said by Deremus:

Hmm... I wonder if the tree harvest mod works as well on my jungle giant tree silos... --Instant 150 jungle wood blocks!

I can set TreeAssist to work only when crouching as well. I just turned that off so I didn't have to worry with it. If it becomes an issue, let me know and I will set it to crouch to use.

Looks like 1.8 is into pre-release 2... Hopefully we will get 1.8 on the target date of 9/2.

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

I jumped on the server and played around with the tree chopping. I think it works pretty well as is. In the rare situation that someone really doesn't want to knock down the whole tree, they can use bare hands just fine. Chopping at other blocks first (not the base) also results in vanilla behavior.

This works for jungle giants too! You have to cut a few more blocks, on top of the base ones, but it eventually all comes down. I was able to collect about 180 wood in 5 minutes with my tree silos.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Mojang put 1.8 Pre-release 3 out. It fixes a few more bugs in the system.

Still looking at a full release of 1.8 on Tuesday.

Don't know when we will take the server to 1.8. Will probably wait until the weekend to give people a chance to finish stuff up. I will then have to archive the old world and put it up on my website for download.
neonhomer

neonhomer

Premium Member

Okay peeps - Minecraft 1.8 has been officially released! The server is staying at 1.7.10 for now.

Anyone have any seed ideas for the next map?

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

Anyone have any seed ideas for the next map?

Totally random - play the hand we're dealt.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I tried a few random seeds, and every one I tried ended up putting me in the middle of a damn forest....

We will probably be moving the server over to 1.8 this weekend. I will make sure to take a full backup, and then make it available if anyone wants it.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

woo hoo. Have to get on and update my client.

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium Member
join:2001-04-02

Ray to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
I haven't had time to play for ages - started looking for a new place this spring, and have been doing honey-dos ever since moving into our new house in May (I can install a ceiling fan in about 20 minutes now... ). I'd be up for a brand new world with 1.8 to explore and start playing again. I hope my daughter doesn't have too much homework!

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

That's what we are looking to do. Start a new world with 1.8...

I'm thinking about doing some LP work, and see what I can come up with...

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

Sounds good. I looked at some of the new stuff in Creative mode and it looks to be interesting.

Noiche
Premium Member
Apo, AP

Noiche to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
It could be really interesting to start a group LP on the new server, if you wanted to do something like that.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Well, I've always said if people wanted to do LP's on the server, they were welcome to. Just don't give out the IP.

Too bad we can't all get together and do a UHC game... but those can last for HOURS....

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

I'm lost. LP? IP? I'm not sure what those refer to in Minecraft. Perhaps I'm just a noob.

The wife and I are ready for the new start whenever... But let us know where we can grab a local copy of the existing world when you can.

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium Member
join:2001-04-02

Ray

Premium Member

LP = Let's Play (youtube videos of game playing)
IP = Internet Protocol adddress. The server is invite only, so don't show it on YouTube!