spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kdeuser

join:2000-08-30
Suwanee, GA

OLD and SLOW IFITL

I posted this over on the AT&T Direct forum as well...

My neighborhood was outfitted with IFITL and Americast cable when it was built around 1999-2003. Both of these were BellSouth, I believe. Americast was shut down at some point, so we were left without any cable. (I think it was old analog cable anyway, it was gone by the time I moved in 2003.) At the time AT&T purchased Bellsouth there was an upgrade plan in place for our internet access. When AT&T purchased BellSouth, this plan was scrapped in favor of Uverse. Here we are in 2013 and I am still stuck at 1.5/.25 with no hope for an upgrade. The promise made to install Uverse seems to have been forgotten. My HOA has gone to Comcast, Charter and then back to AT&T with nobody wanting to touch it. I tried Clear Wireless, but that was a disaster. I now tether my cellphone when I want to work at home - how absurd is that!

I live in zip code 30024 in a neighborhood off of Westbrook Road in Suwanee, GA. We are an island surrounded by Uverse, Comcast and Charter networks. Our home values are literally being affected by the fact that we have no high speed internet since people will not even LOOK at a house that cannot get cable or internet when they can go two blocks over and get it!

When will AT&T keep the promise that was made by Bellsouth to upgrade our neighborhood? Does anyone care, or is the company just too big to be bothered with "customers"?

Frustrated and Angry,
Kurt

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
AmeriCast was an Ameritech product and was later scrapped when SBC purchased/merged with Ameritech. Much of the networks were sold off to WOW, It is strange that they had service in GA as the footprint always showed the Ameritech region to have service. They were "famous" of their big friendly "bear face" kids remotes. The only system I was aware that wasn't sold to WOW was the SNET region which is still used by AT&T for the fiber.

Also I don't see how home values are affected by not having cable TV or Internet. Especially when cableTV can be had via DirecTV or Dish Network. If your HOA were interested in bringing in cableTV they would contact a company to bring it in. Especially if home values were affected as much as you say/claim. And I say that as homes in rural America still sell as they would before. Land never goes down in price, only the buildings that set on the land. If you want to learn about a community system, PM me on here.

kdeuser

Suwanee, GA
Well... If you work for AT&T your post is understandable. It is typical of the robotic responses we have received... Had you bothered to actually read my post you would have noted that our HOA went to the two local cable companies. In addition, they approached AT&T trying to get them to upgrade us as promised.

To compare a densely populated suburb of Atlanta, a community where telecommuting is very popular, to a rural area is not very intuitive. Apparently you missed the part of my post where I mentioned that potential buyers (in a very difficult market) can go a couple blocks over to choose multiple similar homes in a similar neighborhood equipped with 10MB+ internet and digital cable. Yes we can get satellite TV and we do (since it is our only option - duh), but that is hardly the point, since my post is about our internet technology.

Is there anyone out there from AT&T that can contribute with a possible solution instead of red herrings?

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Robotic response?

Maybe you actually should learn to read and understand. First, Internet is NOT a utility service, thus NOBODY is required to deliver it to you, nor Cable TV. 2nd of, I find it hard that you have approached 2 cable companies BOTH two blocks over for service and nobody is willing to expand. If enough homes where willing to buy services they would with no problems at all. Both Comcast and Charter would have drawn up a proposal, etc.

And also, if you are Interested in an actual product that can service you BOTH with TV and Internet, you should have taken my advice and PMed me on here instead of acting the way you did and claiming I work for AT&T, when in fact I do not.

and 3rd- nobody from AT&T that works on this board is going to be able to answer your questions. And 4th- if this is how your HOA treated these companies that you claim they spoke to, I don't blame them for expanding.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

1 recommendation

reply to kdeuser
said by kdeuser:

I live in zip code 30024 in a neighborhood off of Westbrook Road in Suwanee, GA. We are an island surrounded by Uverse, Comcast and Charter networks. Our home values are literally being affected by the fact that we have no high speed internet since people will not even LOOK at a house that cannot get cable or internet when they can go two blocks over and get it!

I am willing to bet that the cable company would gladly provide you services if you and all your neighbors were willing to pay the cost to expand the "plant" to that area and then sign up for services for XX years to help them recover the costs of expanding their plant...

My guess is that for the majority of your neighbors they must be fine without having value added services brought to their homes.

Remember the cable and phone company is out to make a profit.. and if they don't think they can make a profit by serving your area -- they won't.

[and at this time there is no requirement for the providers to provide services]

Maybe your HOA should look at providing internet services themselves in the area? they could have fiber brought in to a POP and then provide services at a cost to you and your neighbors...

Nothing restricts them from doing that -- It's just a matter of do you really want to pay the $$$ for that to happen.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
reply to kdeuser
said by kdeuser:

Well... If you work for AT&T your post is understandable. It is typical of the robotic responses we have received... Had you bothered to actually read my post you would have noted that our HOA went to the two local cable companies. In addition, they approached AT&T trying to get them to upgrade us as promised.

To compare a densely populated suburb of Atlanta, a community where telecommuting is very popular, to a rural area is not very intuitive. Apparently you missed the part of my post where I mentioned that potential buyers (in a very difficult market) can go a couple blocks over to choose multiple similar homes in a similar neighborhood equipped with 10MB+ internet and digital cable. Yes we can get satellite TV and we do (since it is our only option - duh), but that is hardly the point, since my post is about our internet technology.

Is there anyone out there from AT&T that can contribute with a possible solution instead of red herrings?

If the ROI was there At&t could fairly easily convert your neighborhood to uverse, especially with the FTL setup already there. And the same can be said for cable not installing there. There are some deep underlying issues in your subdivision for these companies to just ignore it completely.
--

kdeuser

Suwanee, GA
reply to kdeuser
I am confused. This seems no different than a new build opportunity for everyone except AT&T. (We are nothing more than a cash cow to them, so there is no incentive in the short run to bear the cost of an upgrade.) What puzzles me is that Comcast and Charter showed no interest af all - even though they would easily get at least 95% of the internet and easily over 60% of the TV business almost immediately. Equally puzzling is fhat AT&T shows no interest in keeping us as customers knowing whaf we are trying to do.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Matt7
And that was my whole point. If they were willing to create or hire a company to create a community system for them, then they wouldn't have to wait for AT&T, Comcast, Charter or anyone else to build the network for them. Although when checking out that area, I don't see the area having both access to Comcast AND Charter both. As they wouldn't overbuild/compete with each other.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to kdeuser
60% and 90% is NOTHING when they would want it ALL. And those that are in contracts with DirecTV are NOT going to pay the ETF to get out just to have Cable TV services. You need to look at it from their point of view and what they would want. Put yourself in their shoes and look at what it would cost. They just don't wait a few houses here and there. IF you could get EVERYONE to sign up and at bare minm a 4 year contract for services, then maybe they'd expand. Otherwise not a chance.

The offer still stands to actually contact me and see about building a community network. I have done this before for several areas, and recently completed work for two smart buildings.