A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Ad guy says the tracking cookie will be dead in five years

»venturebeat.com/2013/04/27/track···n-maybe/ from »www.hardocp.com/news/2013/04/28/···years63/

"If you are one of the many people horrified about the privacy-invading nature of the tracking cookie, her’s some solace: It may not have long to live.

According to Paul Cimino, vice president at ad marketplace Brilig, the tracking cookie has, at most, five years of life left..."

Prove it. :P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Or, better yet, what's next as a successor?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Most likely something even more intrusive!!

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com

3 recommendations

reply to Juggernaut

Re: Ad guy says the tracking cookie will be dead in five years

said by Juggernaut:

Or, better yet, what's next as a successor?

Everyone gets a spy drone to track them.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Perhaps Mr Cimino thinks, that in 5 years everyone will use Chrome browser only, which always makes SSL connections directly to Google farm of servers (74.125.224.x), reporting to them what everyone does with it on the Internet without the need of any tracking cookies? Not so fast, Mr Cimino. People will use other browsers too
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

mysec
Premium
join:2005-11-29
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Isn't it already "dead" so to speak, if one doesn't allow it?

----
rich

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to antdude

And in related news, burglary crowbars, lock-picks, and slide-hammer pullers have, at most, six years of life left, according to (name redacted), a former professional burglar.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to antdude

said by antdude:

»venturebeat.com/2013/04/27/track···n-maybe/ from »www.hardocp.com/news/2013/04/28/···years63/

"If you are one of the many people horrified about the privacy-invading nature of the tracking cookie, her’s some solace: It may not have long to live.

According to Paul Cimino, vice president at ad marketplace Brilig, the tracking cookie has, at most, five years of life left..."

Prove it. :P

itz been dead in my circle of folks...... for uh............15years

javakool-pat kolla
spywareblaster and spybot search and destroy

>> interview w/ pat kolla

»www.pcworld.com/article/115376/article.html

--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON

1 edit
reply to antdude

quote:
“At that point, it’ll be like birds chirping and flowers blooming because we’ll find some kind of value proposition that allows consumers to trust us and opt into personalization. I term it, tailor don’t target,”
That's nice Cimino. But I am not sure you speak for the entire industry. And I can't help but notice that a little while ago web advertisers lost their shit, when Microsoft decided to set the default setting of IE to requiring "opt in" for tracking.

»Association of Parasites upset about 'do-not-track' default
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Fact is, your web browser supplies a wealth of information to every web site you visit, which can be used to track your actions online -- without relying on cookies.

Behavioral tracking is also another method.

And probably many more methods I haven't mentioned.

Cookies help, but they are definitely not the be-all-and-end-all of internet tracking, no way.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to antdude

+1. Just as there's layered security, there's layered tracking. Cookies are just one of the possible layers.

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23

+2

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Blackbird

When we finally convert to a cashless society and all data is stored in the cloud at data centers that are secured and guarded 24/7 by security teams, what use will all those burglary tools be?
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by rcdailey:

When we finally convert to a cashless society and all data is stored in the cloud at data centers that are secured and guarded 24/7 by security teams, what use will all those burglary tools be?

For breaking into homes, cars, and businesses to steal all those pricey interactive devices used to communicate with the cloud...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to antdude

Doubtful...