join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer

Re: Benefits of Wired Network

said by medbuyer:

said by 67845017:

I was kidding. In all seriousness, you need 28 connections per room. That would be the more sensible approach. j/k

just like what pandora See Profile did...

add to that HDMI, DVI, fiber, Composite, Toslink and every cable available in the market for audio, video, network, security etc....

Naw just do cat7, you can then get HDMI to rj-45 converters

then you can get a real beefy USP int he server room and use some form of controller setup, this way your DVR's and such are protected.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

1 recommendation

Bamafan2277 to biochemistry

Premium Member

to biochemistry
I am currently having a home built and had the builder put 3 boxes in the master bedroom with each getting 3 cat 6 wires and 1 coax. 3 boxes in the living room with the same configuration. 1 in the kitchen and 1 in each of the other 2 bedrooms. Also had a outlet placed next to each box.

Everything will terminate in my garage on the wall of my closet holding the furnace and water heater where I will be installing my network equipment and a punchdown for the phone services.

Total cost was $300 to the cost of my house. Eliminating the hassle of wireless deadspots Priceless.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Bamafan2277:

Everything will terminate in my garage on the wall of my closet holding the furnace and water heater where I will be installing my network equipment and a punchdown for the phone services.

why would you want to terminate it from the garage? and on the wall of your furnace and water heater closet?

the heat inside the garage might add to the heat generated by your equipment would or might result to an early equipment failure...

I'd rather put it in a closet INSIDE the house where temps are more manageable....

but then again, I've seen some people do it with success...

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277

Premium Member

the garage is insulated with closed cell spray foam as is the rest of the house. It will be a small temp difference compaired to the rest of the house and it was the location where all utlities were coming in.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to biochemistry

to biochemistry
Yes, the optimal way to run your wiring is with atleast 1 RG6 plus 1-2 cat6 to each room. I say minimum of 2 cat6 to each room with a few extra thrown in to your entertainment/living room and put 4 cat6 on each side of the wall plus 2 RG6 on each side of the wall. That way your not limiting your furniture arrangement. Run all the cable to a home run media box in one of your closets and you can distribute whatever signal you want, be it telephone, tv or data. I have one of my runs in my kitchen as a phone outlet with a wireless phone and 3 others around the house for data jacks. I have a centralized WAP for wireless.
kevnich24

kevnich24 to TheMG

to TheMG
As far as Pandora's remodel - my opinion is the guy is completely nuts. Only a business needs that much wiring installed in a house. But hey, nice that some people have alot of money to throw out. That's strictly my opinion. 28 cat6 runs to each ROOM. Good golly. I have 22 in my entire house (2 to each room, 4 to the main living area and 8 in my den) and I thought that was a lot but I am glad I did even if some never get used, atleast I have the option if the need ever arises.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by medbuyer:

said by 67845017:

I was kidding. In all seriousness, you need 28 connections per room. That would be the more sensible approach. j/k

just like what pandora See Profile did...

add to that HDMI, DVI, fiber, Composite, Toslink and every cable available in the market for audio, video, network, security etc....

Naw just do cat7, you can then get HDMI to rj-45 converters

Cat 7 standard isn't really unified yet and specifications may change before it is unified. So Cat 6e would be just fine.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

1 recommendation

slckusr to biochemistry

Premium Member

to biochemistry
Wires are faster and more efficient if that doesnt matter wired is the MOST SECURE. No one is going to park their van and hack into your wired network without you having ome knowledge.
switchman
join:1999-11-06

1 recommendation

switchman to biochemistry

to biochemistry
Do what you want, but I would put at least 2xCat6a and 2xRG6 Quad Shield to each room. The 6a will let you run 10Ge in the future if you need to. Home run it all back to a central location.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to medbuyer

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

I was lucky to be able to build my network [2 cate5e, 2 rg6 per room / location] when our house was being built but if I had to go back in time, I would have added more wires.

You can cross that bridge when you come to it for $20/room
D-Link GO-SW-5G »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· Parent=1
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by kontos:

said by medbuyer:

I was lucky to be able to build my network [2 cate5e, 2 rg6 per room / location] when our house was being built but if I had to go back in time, I would have added more wires.

You can cross that bridge when you come to it for $20/room
D-Link GO-SW-5G »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· Parent=1

I'm doing that already....thanks for your input...

I've got 2 a/p's that double as switches, 1 in master bedroom and 1 in my living room serving my ht needs...
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I took a similar route. Yeah, 28 network connections per room is the way to go, but my a/p's work pretty darn well.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to biochemistry

Premium Member

to biochemistry
I have a ranch-style home, so wiring is stupidly easy.

I have a single coax and cat6 connection in most rooms.

Where I need more than one Ethernet connection, I install a small switch (like this HP switch) that connects back to my 'main' HP 1810-8G switch.

It's as ideal as I can imagine. I have two 801.11n access points in the house for the iPhones/iPads/etc, and enough Ethernet for anything static. (iMacs, Blu-Ray players, etc.).

Given that my Internet speeds are like this:

I want to wring every byte out of my connection. So far, so good!

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj

Premium Member

show off.
Your upload trumps my download two fold
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

But what's up with a 26ms ping? Wireless?
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

But what's up with a 26ms ping? Wireless?

I could only dream of having a ping that low.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
No, it's wired, but many hops to that test provider. If I picked one (network cost) closer, I'd do a lot better.
dennismurphy

dennismurphy to natedj

Premium Member

to natedj
said by natedj:

show off.
Your upload trumps my download two fold

Blows my mind that this is the service AT MY HOUSE. Absolutely crazy!

I remember upgrading to a 9600 baud modem and thinking that was blazing fast.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I started on a 1200 baud modem. Missed the acoustic coupler and 300 baud days. 19.2 then was a dream.

The first highspeed internet I ever had was 416/416 Kbps through Flashcom. Now I have 105/20. Not great upload compared to you, but I'm pretty darn pleased.

Speed increases have been amazing over the years.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

I remember all too well of having to make a long distance phone call just to log onto CompuServe. I was living at Lake of the Ozarks in central rural Missouri at the time. I remember Prodigy during the fist Gulf war and they would have comparisons of our TOYS and their toys. We STOMPED them.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I had a Genie terminal my first year of college. That was an acoustic coupler system. But I never accessed the bulleting boards with anything other than a Hayes 1200.

It all seems like a lifetime ago . . .

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by 67845017:

I had a Genie terminal my first year of college. That was an acoustic coupler system. But I never accessed the bulleting boards with anything other than a Hayes 1200.

It all seems like a lifetime ago . . .

I had a acoustic coupler 150 baud for mt TI-994A. Then got a Tandy with a 1200 Hays and CompuServe.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

When I was in high school I had a TI-994A too. I wasn't connected though. That didn't happen for me until about 1985, when I built my PC-XT compatible. At that point I got a Hayes 1200. No Comupserve though, just university machines and the Genie terminal.

I'd like to say that those were the days, but they really weren't when it comes to technology.
netwerp
join:2010-12-10
Evans, GA

netwerp to biochemistry

to biochemistry
Wired definitely has the advantages. Fiber is even better because it won't ever pick up EMP pulses from lightening. Over the years, I've lost a couple wired ethernet ports from nearby lightening strikes. A good reason to run your TV and computer equipment from UPS modules is that surge suppressors won't protect you from brownout damage.

When building a NEW home, install low-voltage conduit which can easily be fished or even pre-install fish lines. Hint: CAT 6A did not exist a few years ago and gigabit ethernet was only affordable by enterprises. Now a new tubular fiber, not yet on the market, boasts a capacity of 73 terabits per second.
Conduit, properly installed, will enable you or subsequent homeowners to upgrade wire and fiber mediums economically, without having to run cable outside through walls (ugly) or reinstall sheetrock (expensive).

After more than once severing the TV/HSI cable while digging in my garden, I now use a buried 4-inch drain pipe to carry the (coax) cable from the street connection to my house. It's easy to fish because I used graceful 90 degree and 45 degree elbows and have a pre-installed fish line.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to biochemistry

Premium Member

to biochemistry
said by biochemistry:

I'm building a new home and trying to decide whether I should install a CAT6A network supplemented with Wireless or if I should save some $ and just stick with wireless for everything. What are the real benefits in going with a wired network?

I have wireless and wired.

I like wired because it's faster and more secured then wireless.
I use a powerline adapter for networking my wired connections.
I've never had an issue with Bandwidth as it's just one PC and a Roku player on that "network". Video streams are fine, as is playing games.
I think the model I have allows for 50mb. I upgraded from an older version that only allowed 10mb on it.
No need to run cable when you can use the home's existing power lines.
Upstairs I have the power liner adapter terminating into a switch. Then the switch runs to my PC and Roku player.
Downstairs, the other power line adapter terminates into my router.

It's not cheap, I think the two adapters cost me around 100 bucks, the switch I had for years, but I think it ran around 40 bucks. But it beats fishing wires through walls and cutting holes.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Powerline adapters are IMO a workaround for after the walls are up and all, the OP is building a home so its the ideal time to get the wires in place.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Powerline adapters are IMO a workaround for after the walls are up and all, the OP is building a home so its the ideal time to get the wires in place.

Agreed, but if walls are up and there are no plans to remodel, then go powerline.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

said by DarkLogix:

Agreed, but if walls are up and there are no plans to remodel, then go powerline.

Ya if the walls are up use alt means.

IE if the walls are up and you're networking your DTV receivers just use their Deca, though inferior to connecting all to your main switch it'll work just fine.

Other devices use best judgment. Powerline, for higher bandwidth, wifi for lower bandwidth (vary for your RF conditions.)
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

When I was in high school I had a TI-994A too. I wasn't connected though. That didn't happen for me until about 1985, when I built my PC-XT compatible. At that point I got a Hayes 1200. No Comupserve though, just university machines and the Genie terminal.

I'd like to say that those were the days, but they really weren't when it comes to technology.

When I was in high school, I took an electronics course at the regional Vo-Tech school that we hosted. We were learning about vacuum tubes still ............