IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Cracked my P.A Speakers

Click for full size
I was moving my brand new speakers and I scratched one of them with a stupid door, How can I remove the scratch?

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

Cracked, or just scratched? Title says one, post says another (and shows another)...

Not sure there's much you can do on solid plastic like that. Also, PA speakers never stay perfect for reasons exactly like this. They're often bulky, and prone to being hit against things when moved... Shouldn't diminish the value of them, if that's any help. Most folks only care that they work, and sound good.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

True and it is my fault for not helping the person move them but eh they are temporary anyway for our worship center and will eventually will be moved to our high school room up in the celling
It was only a $389 so not a lot of money per say

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to IowaMan

What make/model?

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA

Beringher 315D 550 Watt P.A
im going to try shoe polish black

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to IowaMan

Try some automotive scratch remover.

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to IowaMan

Yep, plastic injection molded enclosure. Maybe touch it up with some flat black paint?

Hope you're not planning to suspend these speakers from the ceiling! They're only designed for putting on top of a tripod stand.

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

said by ArthurS:

Hope you're not planning to suspend these speakers from the ceiling! They're only designed for putting on top of a tripod stand.

IowaMan, Please heed this warning. Those speakers are cheap to low end. They will work fine for voice/minimal music playback. They are NOT designed to be flyable. Flying Speakers is not as easy as a chain through the handle.

The handles on those units are to transport them - ONLY. They are NOT designed to hold the whole weight of the speaker over an extended period of time. Flyable speakers are also significantly structurally braced to handle being in the air.

I have a set of 312D where I actually cracked the handle of one of the units!

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to IowaMan

That is a gouge, not a scratch or crack. Just look at them as broken in finally.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to ArthurS

said by ArthurS:

Yep, plastic injection molded enclosure. Maybe touch it up with some flat black paint?

If they are good enough, they can create a bracket out of pipe, and some elbow's, to allow them to be mounted to the ceiling. Will take some work to get the length right, from how low they want them, and placing a 45 el, to allow them to angle down correct.

From there, they would need to just use a cable to strap the top against the pipe, to further hold them from falling forward off the angled pipe inserted, where the tripod would go in the bottom.

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON

said by old_tech:

said by ArthurS:

If they are good enough, they can create a bracket out of pipe, and some elbow's, to allow them to be mounted to the ceiling. Will take some work to get the length right, from how low they want them, and placing a 45 el, to allow them to angle down correct.

From there, they would need to just use a cable to strap the top against the pipe, to further hold them from falling forward off the angled pipe inserted, where the tripod would go in the bottom.

Yes, perhaps you can cobble something together and maybe fabricate a yoke bracket that takes advantage of the pole mount socket in the speaker so it can be suspended from the ceiling. But here's the thing, this is in a public facility (church), and if there is a remote chance that something should fail and someone gets hurt as a result of this hack, you can bet that the person who cobbled this contraption together will be hauled into court and bankrupted as a result of saving a few hundred dollars and not using rated hardware and speakers that were designed for that purpose in the first place. Unfortunately we're in a sue-happy world with a glut of hungry lawyers, you either do it right, or you don't do it at all!

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

We cobbled a brace together for a set of speakers, and are flying them in our worship area, but also have chains to secure them from in case they do break loose.

Anything can happen, and yes in some unknown act of god out of a million to one, which is greater than a chance to be struck by lightning, could the bracket break loose, if not properly installed to begin with.

Most people that would do something like this, would use common sense and secure the mount in a way that it would not break loose, same as making sure the speakers would not come loose.

Only way that I could see the speakers falling out of the pipe inside the stand mount, is if there was an earthquake, or they skimped on the bolts to secure the plate brackets attached to the pipe, in a wood cross member, or steel plate to span across two joists.

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON

said by old_tech:

Most people that would do something like this, would use common sense and secure the mount in a way that it would not break loose, same as making sure the speakers would not come loose.

Unfortunately reality sucks. As a professional in this industry for over 30 years, I have seen way too much nonsense, and typically when I see cheapass nonsense like this, 95% of the time I'll see other shortcuts in the rigging that compromise safety. Heck, even some "professional" installs I have inspected miss the mark. So no, I disagree with your assumption. Hopefully you're one of the 5% that can figure out how to do it with some resemblance of safety. But ask yourself, is it worth the risk? I sure hope your liability policy is up to date and paid up!

For the time and trouble of making a square peg fit a round hole, you will have bought a correct loudspeaker with the rigging hardware built in.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

Arthur, anything could happen. You could get struck by a vehicle while crossing the street. Get knocked on the head at the local store, by something falling off the shelf.

As for if the OP does decide to fly the speakers in one way or another, it is their worry not ours to worry about, how they place them, and secure them.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Since the OP brought up plans to mount them in the ceiling of a church building it most certainly is the responsibility (and worry) of professionals in this form to advise that it wouldn't be a safe or prudent thing to do both for the liability of the individuals involved as well as the church, not to mention the safety of the members.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

said by robbin:

Since the OP brought up plans to mount them in the ceiling of a church building it most certainly is the responsibility (and worry) of professionals in this form to advise that it wouldn't be a safe or prudent thing to do both for the liability of the individuals involved as well as the church, not to mention the safety of the members.

We are not the ones to make that decision or to let it interfer with our lives. It is the OP worry as to what they decide to do with the speakers.

If they do fly them and since it has been stated that the speakers do not have the ability to, that is all we need to tell them.

You cann not interfer with what people do outside of these boards, and just need to let it go after you have made a statement in a post.

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to old_tech

said by old_tech:

Arthur, anything could happen. You could get struck by a vehicle while crossing the street. Get knocked on the head at the local store, by something falling off the shelf.

There's a fine line of difference between something that happens by chance, and something that is completely preventable if the right measures are taken, no? If your friend wants to replace the brakes on his car, but has never done so, and never consulted a manual or received some instruction on how to do it safely, wouldn't you give him a warning to do it right, not just for his sake, but everyone else's? Glad you agree!

said by old_tech:

As for if the OP does decide to fly the speakers in one way or another, it is their worry not ours to worry about, how they place them, and secure them.

Indeed it's their problem, and now that they are knowledgeable about the consequences of doing it wrong, hopefully they do the right thing.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

Exactly. If we worry about every little thing that someone may or may not do, when they post in here, it would not only make us looke like busy body's, but it would just increase our already stressful lives.

We can educate them all we can, but it rests on their shoulders at the end.