join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

3 recommendations

nunya to biochemistry

MVM

to biochemistry

Re: Benefits of Wired Network

I would run 14 Cat7a, 12 RG6QS, 2 Multi-mode fibers, 3 single mode fibers, and one twinax drop(s) to each wall of each room.

Sound ridiculous? Much of the advice you'll receive in this thread will be nearly as ridiculous.

I'm a wire guy. I do this for living. The reality is that wired networks are on the decrease as the devices we use become completely wireless (tablets, TVs, smart phones, laptops, etc...). Even with all of the cons that accompany wireless, it's here to stay.

Realistically, I'd install 1 RG6 and 1 Cat5 or Cat6 cable to each room. In new construction, it would be silly not to.

This way you'll have a wired option available if you do need it.

The only "future-proof" way of wiring a house doesn't involve wire at all. It's called conduit.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by nunya:

I would run 14 Cat7a, 12 RG6QS, 2 Multi-mode fibers, 3 single mode fibers, and one twinax drop(s) to each wall of each room.

Sound ridiculous? Much of the advice you'll receive in this thread will be nearly as ridiculous.

Realistically, I'd install 1 RG6 and 1 Cat5 or Cat6 cable to each room. In new construction, it would be silly not to.

The only "future-proof" way of wiring a house doesn't involve wire at all. It's called conduit.

+1 on new construction.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

+1 and exactly what I did when I built my house last year; with one exception...

I did 2 x Cat5e & 2 x RG6 to the planned TV locations - Media players / BluRay players / SmartTV's / STB's all want internet connections these days, and for streaming media, Wired is just more reliable... To be honest, I'm almost wishing I'd gone 3 x LAN at the TV locations.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by LazMan:

said by nunya:

+1 and exactly what I did when I built my house last year; with one exception...

I did 2 x Cat5e & 2 x RG6 to the planned TV locations - Media players / BluRay players / SmartTV's / STB's all want internet connections these days, and for streaming media, Wired is just more reliable... To be honest, I'm almost wishing I'd gone 3 x LAN at the TV locations.

in another thread old_tech See ProfileRe: looking for thread w clean wiring ] believes that wireless will be KING in the next few years, believing it will overtake wired connections in everything....

I was lucky to be able to build my network [2 cate5e, 2 rg6 per room / location] when our house was being built but if I had to go back in time, I would have added more wires.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

He's absolutely right. In fact, in resi situations wireless IS king right now, and it will continue to reign.

Am I saying wireless is superior? No. But for most people it's "good enough". The problem with asking a question like this on DSLR is that you will elicit responses from a demographic that is "techie" saturated. Most normal people are not. All they care about is whether or not Facebook and email works.

Very few of my customers will even consider having wired networks installed these days. Why? Because they are happy with their wireless. All they want is coax for their CATV / SAT. Fortunately, coax can carry both video and data if a wired connection is needed in the future.

In the 90's and even early 2000's, I was pulling composite cables with included fiber optic cables. I now realize what a total and complete waste it was. The WANs capable of delivering those kind of speeds never came.
Realistically, FTTP and Gigabit WAN connections will not happen any time in the near future for 99% of us.

Yes, it does make perfect sense to install wired networks in a new home. It does not make any sense to go completely overboard.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

I'm a wire guy. I do this for living. The reality is that wired networks are on the decrease as the devices we use become completely wireless (tablets, TVs, smart phones, laptops, etc...). Even with all of the cons that accompany wireless, it's here to stay.

Yes, devices are becoming wireless but relying solely on wireless is not a good idea. Wireless is shared bandwidth and some streaming simply does not work on wireless. If you're using media center with XBOXes and stream HD it is not going to work well on wireless.

Besides, I'm somewhat of the mindset that if it plugs into the wall it should connect to wired ethernet.

Multimode fiber is ridiculous. But running one or two Cat6 drops per room is fine and future proof for quite a while. Why? Because most homes will be just fine with gigabit for many years to come. Most don't even need anything over 100Mbps. Even 10 gig will work over copper for limited distances and reduced throughput.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

He's absolutely right. In fact, in resi situations wireless IS king right now, and it will continue to reign.

Am I saying wireless is superior? No. But for most people it's "good enough". The problem with asking a question like this on DSLR is that you will elicit responses from a demographic that is "techie" saturated. Most normal people are not. All they care about is whether or not Facebook and email works.

did you read his posts? he said wireless is KING in speeds...he claims that wireless can surpass 1gig and 2 gig soon with wireless ac which is still technically a draft.

wired on the other hand is KING now in terms of speeds alone and can easily do 1gig now.

but yes, it is not superior and I wouldn't rely on it. I agree it is good enough but the not the best. I still like my wired connections with the exception of maybe using my iphone and a tablet or laptop...

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to fifty nine

MVM

to fifty nine
I have one elderly draft N wireless router (Dlink DIR-655). We have 3 Roku boxes, a Wii, and an Xbox (w/ media center, I might add). All wirelessly connected.
Not to mention 4 smartphones and 4 laptops.

There have been times where we have had 4 HD streams (720p H.262) running simultaneously with no issues whatsoever. The old "it won't do HD" myth is bunk. It will do it just fine.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by nunya:

I have one elderly draft N wireless router (Dlink DIR-655). We have 3 Roku boxes, a Wii, and an Xbox (w/ media center, I might add). All wirelessly connected.

There have been times where we have had 4 HD streams (720p H.262) running simultaneously with no issues whatsoever. The old "it won't do HD" myth is bunk. It will do it just fine.

It amazes me that people will try to dispute what your real-life experience with wireless is.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Success with large amounts of bandwidth over wifi is definitely a YMMV issue. If there are a lot of people nearby with overlapping channels you'll likely have more pauses and jitters in streaming. If your area is relatively clear you can have a great experience.

I think that wired connections will ALWAYS work at 100% (assuming the wires were run and terminated correctly) with no issues. Wifi very well may work that well, too.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by nunya:

It amazes me that people will try to dispute what your real-life experience with wireless is.

It'll do HD...on ideal situations:
• Hardware: Router, wireless cards, etc.
• Surrounding neighborhood noise
• Layout of area

Many have run wireless and found it to not have a guaranteed quality of service for their situation. I rarely, if ever, find someone with a wired setup with a "mystery" internet slowdown that isn't because of ISP quality.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

TheSMJ to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by nunya:

We can dispute it because he's in the minority. Success with wifi has a lot of variable factors. The distance from the router/AP to the other nodes, items between each nodes and the AP (walls, reinforced concrete, etc), number of APs per channel, number of electrically noisy appliances in the vicinity of the AP\nodes, and even the firmware & model revision of the AP itself all have a big effect on the amount of bandwidth and reliability you'll get out of wifi. Just because it works surprisingly well for one individual doesn't mean we can all pull our Ethernet cables out of the walls.

I'm a Sys Admin by trade, and previous to this career move I have set up more consumer networks than I care to count. I've seen people get lucky enough to have one consumer grade router cover an entire home w/o any issues, and another that can barely get by with an AP on each level. Unless all homes are constructed the same way with the same layout and the same materials, wifi will always be on a case by case basis in terms of reliability.

Wired networks will always work so long as everything is run and terminated properly.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

I bet I can't nail a single picture frame anywhere in your house without hitting some wire.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

The old "it won't do HD" myth is bunk. It will do it just fine.

Right. There are too many variables at play to generalize that WiFi can't do HD.

First of all, there are a wide variety of bitrates used to stream "HD" video.

Secondly, WiFi performance is not the same everywhere. When I used to be in an apartment, I could not get more than 15Mbps if my life depended on it, even with the latest and greatest 802.11N hardware (did not try 5GHz though, as none of my client devices supported it). There was literally about 30 other APs within range, and it's safe to assume probably over 100 devices total (including APs, WiFi clients, cordless phones, etc).

Not everyone lives in a high-density apartment and not everyone streams unmodified Blu-Ray rips over their network, so yes, for most people, WiFi will do just fine.

It'll be up to the OP to decide what's best for him given his situation and personal needs.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

As far as Pandora's remodel - my opinion is the guy is completely nuts. Only a business needs that much wiring installed in a house. But hey, nice that some people have alot of money to throw out. That's strictly my opinion. 28 cat6 runs to each ROOM. Good golly. I have 22 in my entire house (2 to each room, 4 to the main living area and 8 in my den) and I thought that was a lot but I am glad I did even if some never get used, atleast I have the option if the need ever arises.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to medbuyer

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

I was lucky to be able to build my network [2 cate5e, 2 rg6 per room / location] when our house was being built but if I had to go back in time, I would have added more wires.

You can cross that bridge when you come to it for $20/room
D-Link GO-SW-5G »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· Parent=1
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by kontos:

said by medbuyer:

You can cross that bridge when you come to it for $20/room
D-Link GO-SW-5G »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· Parent=1

I'm doing that already....thanks for your input...

I've got 2 a/p's that double as switches, 1 in master bedroom and 1 in my living room serving my ht needs...
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I took a similar route. Yeah, 28 network connections per room is the way to go, but my a/p's work pretty darn well.