share rss forum feed

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2

Storyful wants rights to videos I shot

Shot a couple videos of the massive thunderstorm that went through Houston Saturday.
I have 2 messages from Storyful wanting to know if they can use my videos.
I don't care about getting paid so that's not a big deal. Just want to know if anyone has done this before.
Here's their content agreement

Storyful Content Agreement

Storyful Content Agreement
Storyful finds newsworthy content on the internet for news organizations around the word. We deliver it directly to newsrooms and through other news agencies. We verify content so that it can be used safely by journalists, editors and producers for TV, radio, print and websites. As part of our service, we obtain permission for them to use the content.

This agreement gives Storyful and its partners the necessary permission to rebroadcast or republish (in print or online) your content. We always insist that partners credit any source when they republish or rebroadcast your content.

By accepting the Storyful Content Agreement you are agreeing to the following:

1) You affirm, represent, and warrant that you are the owner of the Content, or that you have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to grant Storyful a license to the Content.

2) You retain all ownership rights in your Content.

3) You hereby grant Storyful a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in any media formats and through any media channels.
--
Today I saw something that reminded me of you. But don’t worry, I flushed and everything went back to normal.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
I would ask the folks over at »Digital Imaging

They have quite a few members that could advise you.

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
reply to Locutus65
said by Locutus65:

I don't care about getting paid so that's not a big deal.

Sure, you might not care about getting paid, but I have a tough time believing that Storyful is going through the trouble of contacting you simply because they lack anthing better to do.

What are they offering you for your two videos (if you feel like telling us, that is; I will understand entirely if you don't wish to divulge this)?
--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to Locutus65
quote:
3) You hereby grant Storyful a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in any media formats and through any media channels.
So they can do pretty much anything they want with the video .. forever? I would have a problem with that.

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2
reply to Mr Neutron
They aren't offering anything. And yes I'm sure they make money selling the links to new sources.

This is what they say they are
Storyful is the first news agency of the social media age. We help newsrooms find the most valuable content on the social web.

»storyful.com/about/
--
Today I saw something that reminded me of you. But don’t worry, I flushed and everything went back to normal.

Malachy

@ntlworld.ie
Hi Loctus,

Feel free to email us with any questions.

To answer one or two of your questions above: We deal with hundreds of people with great content like yours every week. Our job is to discover and verify videos/pictures shared on social media platforms. We ask uploaders what the usage rights are on the content so that newsrooms know a) that it's verified content and b) how it can be used and who to credit.

Newsrooms like ABC, NYT, WSJ, BBC and many others work with us. It's the service they purchase, not the content (we have a team of 20+ journalists who work on verifying content).

All the best,

Malachy from Storyful
@malachybrowne on Twitter.

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to Locutus65
said by Locutus65:

They aren't offering anything. And yes I'm sure they make money selling the links to new sources.
»storyful.com/about/

Heck, I'd be tempted to give it to them just because:

1. You weren't going to sell the videos anyway. you're not exactly losing anything.

2. I'd want to reward them for actually attempting to get the rights to the videos cleared before running with them.

Bogden
Premium
join:2000-07-11
Richmond, VA
reply to Locutus65
Seems pretty cut and dried.

You swear that you are the owner.

You will still own the product.

They have the right to do what they say (distribute, etc), but its non-exclusive so you can still use it, and even sell it to someone else if you'd like.

If you think that you can sell the product to someone else, then do that. Otherwise, I'd agree to their terms.