Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2

Has anyone dealt with Storyful before?

Storyful wants rights to videos I shot
Shot a couple videos of the massive thunderstorm that went through Houston Saturday.
I have 2 messages from Storyful wanting to know if they can use my videos.
I don't care about getting paid so that's not a big deal. Just want to know if anyone has done this before.
Here's their content agreement

Storyful Content Agreement

Storyful Content Agreement
Storyful finds newsworthy content on the internet for news organizations around the word. We deliver it directly to newsrooms and through other news agencies. We verify content so that it can be used safely by journalists, editors and producers for TV, radio, print and websites. As part of our service, we obtain permission for them to use the content.

This agreement gives Storyful and its partners the necessary permission to rebroadcast or republish (in print or online) your content. We always insist that partners credit any source when they republish or rebroadcast your content.

By accepting the Storyful Content Agreement you are agreeing to the following:

1) You affirm, represent, and warrant that you are the owner of the Content, or that you have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to grant Storyful a license to the Content.

2) You retain all ownership rights in your Content.

3) You hereby grant Storyful a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in any media formats and through any media channels.
--
Today I saw something that reminded me of you. But don’t worry, I flushed and everything went back to normal.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB
What I find to be disagreeable is in 2) they say you own all rights. But in three they say they can do anything they want with it once they have your permission? Oh really???!!!

Cliffy
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Kitchener, ON
Almost every website with user generated content uses terms like number 3. Although they really cover themselves with "any media channels"
--
there's a fine line between a rut and a groove.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to Locutus65
i was gonna post that you are essentially giving the footage away with no guarantee that you will be compensated or even given credit and they can use the footage as much they want. They can also give the footage to whoever they want over and over......

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I at-least want credit.

Tex
Premium
join:2012-10-20
reply to Locutus65
I'm wondering what use would 3-4 day old videos of a thunderstorm be and why would you want to "share" your video with Storyful in the first place?

To answer your question, no, I have not given rights to my photographs or videos to a 3rd party. However, if you don't want compensation and if giving Storyful the rights to use your videos doesn't bother you, why not? Go for it.

mromero
Premium
The O.C.
stock footage, stock agencies always need good footage

mromero
Premium
The O.C.
reply to Locutus65
so have you decided anything yet?

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
reply to Locutus65
Yeah, I gave them permission. Hasn't been used anywhere yet. I just think it would be cool to see my amateur video on TV
--
Today I saw something that reminded me of you. But don’t worry, I flushed and everything went back to normal.