uniqs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

[NFL] Tim Tebow released outright by Jets

The Tim Tebow era at the NY Jets is over. The Jets today released Tebow outright. And it also cost the Jets GM his job at the end of last season. The Jets couldn't even find one NFL team to trade for him who would even offer up a 7th round draft pick in the recent draft. When the Jets drafted QB Geno Smith in the 2nd round, Tebow's fate was sealed.

So, where will he go now? Will any NFL team sign him?

»espn.go.com/new-york/nfl ··· im-tebow

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

Apparently his agent couldn't work out a trade and the Jets couldn't trade him for a pick during the draft, so they finally released him.
quote:
Ryan and general manager John Idzik informed Tebow early Monday morning in a face-to-face meeting at the team's facility, before he worked out with teammates, a source said. Tebow left the building shortly thereafter.
quote:
The team's plan always was to take no more than five quarterbacks into their organized team activities. When no other team offered even a seventh-round draft pick for Tebow by the conclusion of the NFL draft on Saturday, the decision was imminent, sources said.

The Jets had given permission this offseason to Tebow's agent, Jimmy Sexton, to try to seek a trade, a source familiar with situation said. More than one team reached out to see if Tebow were willing to switch positions from quarterback to tight end, but he was not.
quote:
The final Tebow bill: It cost the Jets a fourth-round pick and $1.5 million in salary, plus another $2.5 million they had to pay the Denver Broncos to satisfy part of the trade agreement.

The ill-fated trade also contributed to the demise of general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who was fired after the 6-10 season.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
Tim, say hi to Canada

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Nobody wants Tebow,it's all flash, no substance.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I hope he finds somewhere to play.

Now all the Jets have to do is get rid of Sanchez (which is unlikely given the guaranteed money they'll have to pay).

Ugh.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

It looks like Tebow would have to change his mind and be willing to play a non-QB position if he wants to stay in the NFL.
quote:
Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 3h

Once Tebow clears waivers- seems like a certainty- he's a free agent. Signing low $ deal and agreeing to position switch might be only shot
Meanwhile Montreal owns his CFL rights and has an established starting QB: »www.cbssports.com/nfl/bl ··· to-tebow
quote:
The Montreal Alouettes retain the rights to Tim Tebow, and, though CFL legend Anthony Calvillo is their starter, they remain open to having Tebow join their roster if he is so inclined.

Even there, however, he would have to earn his playing time, with Calvillo established and heading in as their starter, according to the source.
fatness

fatness to Rook008

to Rook008
said by Rook008:

Now all the Jets have to do is get rid of Sanchez (which is unlikely given the guaranteed money they'll have to pay).

Geno Smith's progress at learning to play QB in the NFL will probably dictate how long the Jets hang on to Sanchez. They certainly don't need a $12 million clipboard holder once Smith is the starter, and they didn't draft Smith to spend several years "learning" behind Sanchez.

btB
@rr.com

btB to fatness

Anon

to fatness
Calvillo is without question the starter in Montreal as he owns most of the lifetime quarterback records in the CFL. Just as important is that the guy has been there long enough to know the game. Tebow probably has never even seen a game and knows nothing about the rule differences. Calvillo has seen & done it all.

On the other hand, Calvillo is over 40 now. Who knows how much longer he will play. One big hit and his career could be done in an instant.

Right now, I would say the qb depth chart in Montreal is:

1. Anthony Calvillo
2. Josh Neiswander
3. Quintin Porter
4. Stephen Garcia
5. Kyle Quinlan
28727686 (banned)
join:2013-04-08

28727686 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
This was expected and Tim knew it was coming. He'll hit the arena league or CFL then maybe just maybe he'll get another shot at the NFL.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
The CFL throws the ball more often than the NFL, so Tebow might just get the chance to show if he's really improved there. A rumor I heard yesterday was that the Seahawks and Bears just might take a chance on Tebow. The NFL is a copycat league and a whole lot of teams are going to run the college offense this year. Tebow just might show up in someone's training camp because of it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Seahawks have already said no.

Im reading how , the lingerie league has offered him a gig as a QB coach.

Unless he gives up on being a QB in the NFL is career is over before it started.

Now that said, the Jets have made a hell of a mess of Sanchez, between the guarenteed money, and Tebow he's coming off a pretty shitty year. My guess if he doesn't step up next season, hes done
28727686 (banned)
join:2013-04-08

28727686 (banned) to footballdude

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

The CFL throws the ball more often than the NFL, so Tebow might just get the chance to show if he's really improved there. A rumor I heard yesterday was that the Seahawks and Bears just might take a chance on Tebow. The NFL is a copycat league and a whole lot of teams are going to run the college offense this year. Tebow just might show up in someone's training camp because of it.

The Bear's and Seahawk's both passed.

"USA Today's Mike Garafolo reported Monday that the Bears, Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Buccaneers aren't interested in Tebow. When asked if Seattle might take a look, Seahawks general manager John Schneider said, "Uh, no." Also, the Jaguars still don't want him, and the Cowboys reportedly won't sign him."

»www.nfl.com/news/story/0 ··· im-tebow

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5
The Omaha Beef offered Tebow a contract.
quote:
The Omaha Beef have a job waiting for Tim Tebow if he wants it — and the Nebraska indoor football team will even pay him $75 a game.
quote:
The Beef's current quarterback, James McNear, has led the team to a 5-1 start. He's completing 70 percent of his passes and has thrown for 21 touchdowns against just two interceptions.

McNear is anything but insulted by the Beef's wooing of Tebow. McNear said, "I think Tim can learn a lot from me."
fatness

fatness to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Im reading how , the lingerie league has offered him a gig as a QB coach.

Yeah, they did, as the league-wide QB coach.
»www.cbssports.com/nfl/bl ··· l-league
quote:
A more outlandish possibility could be a position with the Legends Football League, better known as the seven-on-seven league where women compete in uniforms consisting of helmets, shoulder pads, elbow pads, knee pads and lingerie.

Tebow's agent, Jimmy Sexton, received a letter from Mitchell Mortaza, the league's commissioner on Monday, extending an offer for the former Jets' quarterback to become the league's national quarterback coach. Formerly known as the Lingerie Football League, the 12-team association was rebranded into the Legends Football League earlier this year.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Tebow getting "over" the center in lingerie league training seems like a very nice unpaid perk.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5
This is why there was no trade of him during the draft -- he wasn't willing to change position. »www.nfl.com/news/story/0 ··· ight-end
quote:
New York Jets general manager John Idzik revealed Tuesday that NFL teams called to "kick the tires" on quarterback Tim Tebow before he was waived, but nothing materialized on the trade front.

As it turns out, the tire-kicking was an exercise in due diligence to gauge Tebow's willingness to play a different position.

League sources told the New York Post on Monday that the few teams interested in Tebow would only consider a trade if he was open to playing tight end as his primary position. According to the Post, Tebow isn't ready to entertain the possibility of a switch.
Chris Wesseling is a good football writer and reporter by the way.
fatness

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Tebow getting "over" the center in lingerie league training seems like a very nice unpaid perk.

Over center, under center, split wide, whatever.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Send him to the Raiders he's gotta be better then Carson Palmer

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

Palmer's not with the Raiders any more. He's with the Cardinals.

And actually, although he's far from great, considering the team he played on Palmer played pretty well last year.

ha ha
@pacbell.net

ha ha to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5
You guys don't get the Lingerie League joke. That is actually a running league. Quarterbacks there don't pass much at all. Maybe the defense lining 5 yards away from the ball has something to do with it. So basically, being called a QB coach there if you are a passer is an insult.
Expand your moderator at work

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

1 recommendation

footballdude to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: [NFL] Tim Tebow released outright by Jets

Tommy Tomlinson, Sports on Earth: “NFL teams have created Wildcat packages for running backs and built entire schemes around read-option QBs such as Cam Newton and Robert Griffin III. Tebow is not nearly as good as Cam or RGIII -- either as a passer or a runner. But he looked good enough with Denver that two types of teams should consider him: 1) A deep team (New England? Green Bay?) that doesn't need a QB soon and can take the time to develop Tebow and find out what he's capable of. 2) A terrible team (Cleveland? Arizona?) that could use him right away as a change-of-pace guy. Jacksonville is the obvious choice: Tebow is a hero there from his time at Florida. The Jags haven't had a winning season since 2007, Blaine Gabbert is their quarterback, and the upper deck at their stadium is populated by tarps. And they refuse to try something different, with the one player they know will draw fans in Jacksonville? That's bad football and bad marketing. (Coincidentally, ‘Bad Football and Bad Marketing’ is the Jags' team slogan.)”

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

1 edit

Domane to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
The young man's passing arm is from a purely physical standpoint more deficient in the CFL than in the NFL.

His running style and speed is less suited to the CFL than the NFL. And it wasn't that hot in the NFL. He has no speed and only average power that comes from his size.

He has two realitic choices. Period.

Go to the Arena league or attempt to play a diffrent position in the NFL other than QB.

Under no circumstances does he now have or will he ever have the skills of regular starting QB in the NFL or the CFL.

All that he offers any NFL team, through no fault of his, is a distracting media circus and divisivnes or displeasure among some of his teammates. Not to mention he takes up a spot of someone that actually could contribute.

Dolgan
Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

1 edit

Dolgan to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

Tebow is being an idiot by not being willing to play a different position as there were teams who would have been willing to sign him upon that stipulation. Instead of being an arrogant ass he should've listened to God when he opened the door to being able to play in the NFL as a TE or RB{as Polian and others have suggested}. I have no sympathy for a stubborn arse who will not take advantage of the chances that have been provided for him as they are not good enough in his eyes.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
If a team does pick him up, it'll be dirt cheap, not the kind of money he's used to.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5
This is fiction supposedly about Tim Tebow. Really what it is is some of the most amusing stuff I've read in a long time. It's really fun to read:

Tim Tebow in the CFL: A memoir
quote:
A few minutes after I signed the contract the check arrived. "No, no, Timmy, put your cage away. I buy for my players." He twisted open his change-cage and tenderly cupped his hand until a gerbil walked into it, then set the little guy on the table.

American football fans think of the CFL as a joke, a necessarily lesser league, a sort of sawdust bin where the has-beens and busts of the NFL end up. It's not lesser. It's just ... a fundamentally different league. (They only have three downs, did you know that?) Getting used to how Canada did things was more of an adjustment for me. They use mammals how we use paper money. A horse is $1,000, a donkey $500, a dog $200. Hamsters are 20 bucks, gerbils are 10 bucks. I stared as $40 of June Jones' money scurried and sniffed around the table.
quote:
Our offensive line was halfway lined up when the Stampeders' defensive end -- Keenan McCardell, if you believe me, reader -- took his hands off his knees and stood upright. "We gotta meet."

"First play from scrimmage!" Bam exclaimed. "You shittin' me?" (Bam Morris was my center. Since his last NFL rush in 1999, he'd put on a hundred more pounds, and was one of the more dependable centers north of the border.)

"First time we've seen y'all Argos in two years Celsius. Lot's happened since then. C'mon, don't turn me into an asshole here."

I got a nudge in the side from Garrison Hearst, my running back. "

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

I don't even get what is funny about that. Almost none of the imports in the CFL were ever big name players in the NFL. June Jones is not in the CFL either.

As far as Tebow goes, going to the Arena League right now would not be such a great idea because their season started last month. Tebow would not even know any of the plays if he signed now. Similarly, mini-camps are starting in the CFL with the regular training camp coming soon. Point is if Tebow is waiting for some NFL team to sign him and gets no offers, there will be nowhere left to actually play this year. He would have to wait until 2014.

Well, the Ottawa RedBlacks will begin play next year. If they somehow got Tebow, he would be the unquestioned starter. Why? Because as of right now, the RedBlacks do not have a single player signed under contract.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
said by drslash:

Tim, say hi to Canada

CFL is a throwing game, more so than NFL, he'd suck worse in Canada than in the USA.

They should use him for touchdowns only when at the 5 or 10 yard line. He'd get threw no problem. It would take a manager with balls to do something like that, though.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Teams have special short-yardage offenses in the CFL. Usually the quarterback just does the sneak or run some kind of read option. Quintin Porter and Adrian McPherson were both 2nd in the depth chart for their teams in 2012, and neither did much passing at all last year. So while it is true that a starter should be able to throw well, it is not necessarily true that a short-yardage qb needs to be that great of a passer if he never throws anyway.

Als own his CFL rights. If Tebow were to go to the CFL, he would end up in Montreal. But as I said previously, the Als are already practicing as a team. With no experience in the CFL game at all, Tebow would have a very difficult time playing any significant role for the Als in 2013 even if he were to sign up right now.

I would expect Tebow to wait until the NFL season starts and all roster positions set before he would even consider other leagues. By that time though, the CFL season would be about 2/3 over.

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

footballdude to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Chuck Norris orders Jaguars to sign Tebow.
»espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ··· sign-him